Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Big & Rich GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 4,796 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5,320 reviews
on February 26, 2014
A long time ago I purchased a set of pyrex measuring cups: 1 cup, 2 cup, and 4 cup. I love them and use them daily. I have found that the one that I use the most is the 2 cup. Because of how often I use this, it seems like it is always dirty. So I finally ordered a second one. But it is not the same! The markings are the same, the handle is the same, but the pour spout is different! My old one pours wonderfully; I can pour it fast or slow and it doesn't spill. The new one has a narrower pour spout. Somehow this causes it to pour down the side of the measuring cup and all over the counter instead of where I want it to go. If I pour very slowly (about the same speed as my slow fridge water), I can sometimes avoid spilling. I almost returned it after the first time I used it and I wish I had; I would rather wash the other one repeatedly while making something than use my new one. I took some pictures to post showing the change, but I cannot seem to find how to do it with this product.

Pyrex: If you change this item back to it's previous standard please let me know! I would love to purchase another that is like the old one I have! :)
review image review image
2323 comments| 643 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2016
Okay, measuring cups are not that complex. They have only a few things to accomplish. One is to allow you to measure liquids or dry goods. The Pyrex does this well. The lettering is clear and it does not wear off. Not being plastic, it is also not going to melt should you accidentally place it on a hot stove top (typically glass ranges).

The other job and one of major importance, is allowing the clean pouring of its contents. This is where the Pyres 2-cup measuring cup fails its intended job. Unless you pour liquids very slowly, you are going to get flooding down the cup all over your counter. I also own an Anchor Hocking 2-cup measuring cup that does not have this issue so I examined the differences in the pouring spouts.

The Pyrex spout is very small and narrow and appears to have been formed simply by pulling the rim. I'm not sure if these are made by heating and forming or whether from some mold, but it is very small, so liquids do not pass well through the spout except at very low velocity.

If you examine the Anchor Hocking brand cups in my photos, you will notice that the spouts are formed much wider and have a less-angular design. The outer edges of the spout is also higher than the upper rim of the cup. These cups pour a lot better than the Pyrex. I just thought people might like to know this because it is a difficult thing to determine without it being pointed out.
review image review image
0Comment| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2014
I bought this expecting Pyrex thermal shock resistant lab grade glass called borosilicate glass which has always been a trademark of all Pyrex glassware. I was planning on using it by heating it directly on a stove top (approx. 300C) and dropping it into ice to rapidly cool. After doing some research, I found out that Pyrex is not Pyrex anymore. Corning Inc. sold its famed Pyrex brand in 1998 to World Kitchen LLC. World Kitchen LLC, instead of using borosilicate glass, switched to a cheaper alternative, tempered soda-lime glass, which is still great for most of regular cooking uses. For the price of $16 which I paid for this set, it is still a good deal; however, it does not fit my purposes which require glass limiting thermal expansion. "There's no substitute for Pyrex, the original glass bakeware. Introduced 90 years ago and made of a durable, high temperature material, Pyrex remains the ideal medium for safe, dependable food preparation. Use and care: Avoid sudden temperature changes. No stovetop or broiler use. Do not overheat oil or butter. Microwave and dishwasher safe." I guess I have myself to blame for not reading the description thoroughly; however, I find the first half of that statement extremely misleading. This is NOT the product that was introduced "90 years ago." The old product could withstand stovetop and boiler use. I would have no issue with the product if it did not call itself Pyrex.
11 comment| 160 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 12, 2014
I have used Pyrex products for a long time, and I really like these Measuring Cups. I have one of these in the 2-cup and one of these in the 1-cup and together I use them almost daily for cooking. For the price, I think these are an excellent value, well-labeled, and very good at resisting breakage from shock. However, these (like all home-use Pyrex products currently made) are made with a tempered glass that is not the best for heat-resistance. Consequently, I am more careful when using these and do not use them when larger temperature fluctuations are possible. So while I feel that these are a great match for most people, your own cooking habits & usage will determine how well-suited these are for you, personally.

===THE OVERALL GREAT DESIGN===
The basic design is solid and I really enjoy using these. The lettering is very easy to read, and in a color that maintains a good contrast even with darker liquids. The handle is quite thick, giving it both strength and comfort. The pour spout is also well-designed as it reduces dripping. Upkeep is also easy as there is nothing like being able to toss this in the dishwasher to save time. I also like how you can microwave these given it saves a step if you need to microwave a product you will then need to measure (ex: melting butter or frozen juice cubes.)

===PYREX COMPOSITION -- THE CHANGE IN COMPANY & COMPSITION===
Now we come to the composition...Pyrex has a somewhat confusing history here because the composition of their products (while visually almost the same) has changed pretty dramatically. Pyrex was historically made out of Borosilicate. This tempered glass is popular not only because it resists breaking better than your standard glass, but because it can withstand exceptionally wide temperature ranges. It also does at a good job at resting rapid temperature shifts. From the beginning until 1998/1999, Pyrex used borosilicate. Around 1998/1999, they sold the rights to the trademarked name, changed the main manufacturer of the products, moved the production facility itself, and shifted to a different glass called Soda-Lime Silicate glass.

===PYREX COMPOSITION -- BOROSILICATE VS. SODA-LIME, AND THE "EXPLODING PYREX"===
The next natural question is often, "what is the difference between the two types of glass?"

Soda-lime silica glass is much cheaper to produce, and has slightly better resistance to breakage than borosilicate does. However, it does NOT have the temperature resistance of borosilicate. This is most pronounced when the glass is exposed to a fast temp shift. And when soda-lime glass fails from this cause, the failure is often quite violent.

This is where the "exploding Pyrex" came from, in which multiple sources reported catastrophic failures of Pyrex products, all of which were verified to be soda-lime glass Pyrex (and none of which were borosilicate products from the pre-1998 products.) There are limitations to the research because no one knows the exact conditions all of the soda-lime Pyrex products failed at, BUT, what it shows us is that borosilicate is a better material when temperature resistance is involved (and especially when temperature shifts are involved.) While soda lime Pyrex is generally strong and performs well, it does not have the performance of a borosilicate and it should not be treated the same way that a borosilicate product would.

===PYREX COMPOSITION -- THE IMPLICATIONS FOR YOU, AS THE OWNER===
That leads to the ultimate question of, "what does this mean to me and why is knowing any of this important at all?"

Well, if knowledge is power, then it is critical that buyers understand the above because the implications (and consequences) can be tremendous. Pyrex makes it very, very clear that their products should NOT see rapid temperature changes (and technically, one should work to avoid these rapid shifts with any glass.) The problem here is that it isn't always avoidable and cooking is often partly force of habit. Kitchen appliances themselves can also cause wide temp shifts. And if you have owned Pyrex for many years, it is important to understand that the newer soda-lime glass Pyrex products CANNOT withstand the same temperature conditions as your older borosilicate Pyrex products. All of these stresses a need for caution with usage.

===SO ARE CURRENT PYREX PRODUCTS A GOOD MATCH???===
Pyrex's use of soda lime silicate glass has allowed them to make high-quality glassware at a price that is very, very affordable (borosilicate is expensive to produce and often translates to a higher purchase price.) They are well-designed, they do a great job at resisting breakage, and they generally hold up really well. But it is your own application will affect how suitable it is or is not for your lifestyle.

If you use you measuring cups to often blend boiling hot contents, or it is going to see a hot-hot to a cool-cool shift, these Pyrex Measuring Cups are probably not as good a choice as a borosilicate product.

If usage is more general-usage without extreme temperature fluctuations, these Measuring Cups are an awesome choice as they have a solid design, are easy-to-read, are affordable, and will last many years. Like most Pyrex products, the overall design here is great and at a very affordable price. Chances are, this is a great product for your kitchen. But YMMV.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 11, 2013
I purchased a new Pyrex 1-cup measuring cup as my old one, used for at least 15 years, is beginning to look a bit tired. I was so pleased to find out how Pyrex has improved the handle design making it easier to stack the measuring cups making it easier to store in my cupboard. The old cup had this feature too, but the style was a bit different than this newest improvement. To be honest I have an even older Pyrex 1-cup measuring cup with a closed handle. In other words, these measuring cups last a very long time. Both of my older 1-cup measuring cups have fading paint but they are still very usable.

I would also like to address the exploding glass issue: All glass will shatter due to thermal shock. You must follow the manufacturer's directions, and Pyrex does include very clear directions, in order to use any product safely. I strongly encourage you to read the package directions for any product, including Pyrex products, before using them.

I've also included some Pyrex information from Snopes.com in the comments section for further review as Amazon does not allow external links in reviews.

For me I love my Pyrex measuring cups and bakeware. They both have served me well during my 40+ years of cooking.

Recommend.

Penmouse
on July 5, 2017
I would have given this set a five star rating, but my 4 cup measure came without any printing on it at all. It is a clear glass handled pitcher! It's the only one with a defect and I have other 4 cup measures, so I decided to keep it. I was surprised, since I've come to depend on the quality of Pyrex. This set may have been seconds, since the price was so good. At any rate, the other measuring cups are totally satisfactory and I use them daily. I love the open handles; it makes nesting them together an easy task and frees up valuable cabinet space.
I have the 8 cup Pyrex measuring cup (with no lid) that I use all the time in my kitchen for measuring, proofing dough, mixing, to defatting broth in my fridge amongst other tasks. I don't know what I would do without it and often times wish I had two. It is one of the few tools in my kitchen that serves many purposes.
Without the lid that comes with this particular model however, I've had to get out the plastic wrap on many occasions.

I recently purchased the Pyrex Prepware 8-cup Measuring Cup with lid for my daughter while helping her set up her apartment kitchen. I LOVE the addition of this lid and plan on ordering one for myself. I cooked several different vegetables in the microwave in this cup with the lid on and it worked fabulously along with being very convenient. This lid will come in handy for refrigerator storage as well.

I also purchased the 2 cup and the 8 cup for her and the three nestle nicely for storage with the lid placed to the side, which really helps when you have limited space in your kitchen!
on June 1, 2014
The lid does not fit perfectly and the pour spout is a terrible design. The only way that I can keep liquid from spilling all over when pouring from this cup is to pour very slowly and then most of the time I still spill some liquid.
on February 19, 2015
I love my pyrex. The only issue I have with these is the pour spouts. I do not understand what is going on with the design and manufacturing of any kind of container or cup or pot that has a pour spout. Lately it seems like they all run down the side instead of a nice clean stream from the spout into the bowl or cup or what have you. Very irritating. I just make sure I get them completely over the bowl I am pouring into and pour quickly to keep it from going all over my counter. Its not terribly bad just a nuisance. Other than that I love the large bold lettering making it easy to see and measure and the glass is great quality and very durable. I have already clinked them together on many occasions without meaning too and not a single chip or crack. Very Happy with them. So the four stars is for the pouring problem.
on April 3, 2016
Pyrex! They've been around forever. They are totally trusted. Why in the world wouldn't they design a measuring cup so it pours without dripping? It is very frustrating to take the trouble to measure a liquid and then have it dribble down the front of the cup and onto the counter or in the sink. I simply can't understand it.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.