Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Get $5 off book purchases over $20* Use promo code GIFTBOOK17 Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo  Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 26, 2014
A long time ago I purchased a set of pyrex measuring cups: 1 cup, 2 cup, and 4 cup. I love them and use them daily. I have found that the one that I use the most is the 2 cup. Because of how often I use this, it seems like it is always dirty. So I finally ordered a second one. But it is not the same! The markings are the same, the handle is the same, but the pour spout is different! My old one pours wonderfully; I can pour it fast or slow and it doesn't spill. The new one has a narrower pour spout. Somehow this causes it to pour down the side of the measuring cup and all over the counter instead of where I want it to go. If I pour very slowly (about the same speed as my slow fridge water), I can sometimes avoid spilling. I almost returned it after the first time I used it and I wish I had; I would rather wash the other one repeatedly while making something than use my new one. I took some pictures to post showing the change, but I cannot seem to find how to do it with this product.

Pyrex: If you change this item back to it's previous standard please let me know! I would love to purchase another that is like the old one I have! :)
review imagereview image
2424 comments| 670 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2016
Okay, measuring cups are not that complex. They have only a few things to accomplish. One is to allow you to measure liquids or dry goods. The Pyrex does this well. The lettering is clear and it does not wear off. Not being plastic, it is also not going to melt should you accidentally place it on a hot stove top (typically glass ranges).

The other job and one of major importance, is allowing the clean pouring of its contents. This is where the Pyres 2-cup measuring cup fails its intended job. Unless you pour liquids very slowly, you are going to get flooding down the cup all over your counter. I also own an Anchor Hocking 2-cup measuring cup that does not have this issue so I examined the differences in the pouring spouts.

The Pyrex spout is very small and narrow and appears to have been formed simply by pulling the rim. I'm not sure if these are made by heating and forming or whether from some mold, but it is very small, so liquids do not pass well through the spout except at very low velocity.

If you examine the Anchor Hocking brand cups in my photos, you will notice that the spouts are formed much wider and have a less-angular design. The outer edges of the spout is also higher than the upper rim of the cup. These cups pour a lot better than the Pyrex. I just thought people might like to know this because it is a difficult thing to determine without it being pointed out.
review imagereview image
0Comment| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2012
I bought this measuring cup less than 2 years ago to replace one I'd had for 20 years that chipped after I dropped it. I'll admit I wasn't too keen on purchasing pyrex since there are known quality issues with the glass. I never thought the writing would be first to fail though. I posted pictures to show how it's just coming right off. Every time I wash it more comes off. You can even scrape it off with your fingernail. It's now useless. Maybe I can scour the Goodwill for a proper measuring cup made before World Kitchen LLC started manufacturing.
review imagereview image
88 comments| 255 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 23, 2017
Disappointing! C'mon, how can you screw up a measuring cup? I mean it's just one piece with no moving parts. Millions have been made over the last fifty years (at least), which means the design should be refined to perfection. But no, this one has two serious flaws. First, as I was unpacking the measuring cup, I almost cut myself on the sharp edges at the bottom of the handle (where your pinky finger normally rests). It wasn't cracked or chipped, but careless manufacturing left the end of the handle very sharp - easily sharp enough to draw blood. Fortunately, I have some diamond sharpening stones which I used to grind off the sharp edges a bit. Then, I noticed the tiny spout other reviewers mentioned. While I won't say it's unusable as another reviewer claimed, I will say you have to pour more slowly and carefully than should be necessary. Printed on the cup is "Made in USA," which I frankly find embarrassing.
on April 4, 2016
I bought this to replace an Anchor Hocking 2-cup that the graphics wore off of making it useless. I have another Pyrex 2-cup that was just as old yet still displayed strong measurement graphics, so I bought another Pyrex instead of an A.H. The Pyrex's handle is also more comfortable to use than the A.H.

9/2/2016 Edit: After using this a few months I have come to realize that this particular Pyrex 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup is not really safe for prolonged use in a microwave oven. After suspecting something was different, I tested this characteristic by filling both my 10+ year old Pyrex 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup and this new one with 12 ounces of bottled water from the same container and placing both of them into a 1250W Panasonic Microwave, opposite of each other, equidistant from the turntable center with the handles to the outside. I then heated them at 100% power for 4 minutes. The water started boiling in the old cup about 15 seconds before it started boiling in the new cup. After the 4 minutes elapsed, I opened the microwave and re moved each cup. The handle on my old cup was barely warmer than when I started, whereas the handle on the new Pyrex cup was almost too hot to grasp without a glove.

The results of this unscientific test, along with my visual observation that the glass of the new Pyrex cup has a GREEN tint when viewed edge on, while my old Pyrex cup is clear in color viewed from any angle, have led me to deduce that the new Pyrex 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup that I received from this order may have been manufactured from recycled glass that is contaminated with foreign matter making the glass less transparent to microwaves than my old Pyrex cup is. This means the glass in the new cup is absorbing some of the microwave energy which is why it took longer for the water to boil in it and also why its handle got disturbingly hot.

I WILL NOT USE THIS NEW PYREX 2-CUP GLASS MEASURING CUP IN ANY MICROWAVE ENVIRONMENT. In my line of work (lab) I have experienced "microwave safe" glass items actually shattering while being heated in a consumer grade microwave oven. Can be a safety concern.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 12, 2014
I have used Pyrex products for a long time, and I really like these Measuring Cups. I have one of these in the 2-cup and one of these in the 1-cup and together I use them almost daily for cooking. For the price, I think these are an excellent value, well-labeled, and very good at resisting breakage from shock. However, these (like all home-use Pyrex products currently made) are made with a tempered glass that is not the best for heat-resistance. Consequently, I am more careful when using these and do not use them when larger temperature fluctuations are possible. So while I feel that these are a great match for most people, your own cooking habits & usage will determine how well-suited these are for you, personally.

===THE OVERALL GREAT DESIGN===
The basic design is solid and I really enjoy using these. The lettering is very easy to read, and in a color that maintains a good contrast even with darker liquids. The handle is quite thick, giving it both strength and comfort. The pour spout is also well-designed as it reduces dripping. Upkeep is also easy as there is nothing like being able to toss this in the dishwasher to save time. I also like how you can microwave these given it saves a step if you need to microwave a product you will then need to measure (ex: melting butter or frozen juice cubes.)

===PYREX COMPOSITION -- THE CHANGE IN COMPANY & COMPSITION===
Now we come to the composition...Pyrex has a somewhat confusing history here because the composition of their products (while visually almost the same) has changed pretty dramatically. Pyrex was historically made out of Borosilicate. This tempered glass is popular not only because it resists breaking better than your standard glass, but because it can withstand exceptionally wide temperature ranges. It also does at a good job at resting rapid temperature shifts. From the beginning until 1998/1999, Pyrex used borosilicate. Around 1998/1999, they sold the rights to the trademarked name, changed the main manufacturer of the products, moved the production facility itself, and shifted to a different glass called Soda-Lime Silicate glass.

===PYREX COMPOSITION -- BOROSILICATE VS. SODA-LIME, AND THE "EXPLODING PYREX"===
The next natural question is often, "what is the difference between the two types of glass?"

Soda-lime silica glass is much cheaper to produce, and has slightly better resistance to breakage than borosilicate does. However, it does NOT have the temperature resistance of borosilicate. This is most pronounced when the glass is exposed to a fast temp shift. And when soda-lime glass fails from this cause, the failure is often quite violent.

This is where the "exploding Pyrex" came from, in which multiple sources reported catastrophic failures of Pyrex products, all of which were verified to be soda-lime glass Pyrex (and none of which were borosilicate products from the pre-1998 products.) There are limitations to the research because no one knows the exact conditions all of the soda-lime Pyrex products failed at, BUT, what it shows us is that borosilicate is a better material when temperature resistance is involved (and especially when temperature shifts are involved.) While soda lime Pyrex is generally strong and performs well, it does not have the performance of a borosilicate and it should not be treated the same way that a borosilicate product would.

===PYREX COMPOSITION -- THE IMPLICATIONS FOR YOU, AS THE OWNER===
That leads to the ultimate question of, "what does this mean to me and why is knowing any of this important at all?"

Well, if knowledge is power, then it is critical that buyers understand the above because the implications (and consequences) can be tremendous. Pyrex makes it very, very clear that their products should NOT see rapid temperature changes (and technically, one should work to avoid these rapid shifts with any glass.) The problem here is that it isn't always avoidable and cooking is often partly force of habit. Kitchen appliances themselves can also cause wide temp shifts. And if you have owned Pyrex for many years, it is important to understand that the newer soda-lime glass Pyrex products CANNOT withstand the same temperature conditions as your older borosilicate Pyrex products. All of these stresses a need for caution with usage.

===SO ARE CURRENT PYREX PRODUCTS A GOOD MATCH???===
Pyrex's use of soda lime silicate glass has allowed them to make high-quality glassware at a price that is very, very affordable (borosilicate is expensive to produce and often translates to a higher purchase price.) They are well-designed, they do a great job at resisting breakage, and they generally hold up really well. But it is your own application will affect how suitable it is or is not for your lifestyle.

If you use you measuring cups to often blend boiling hot contents, or it is going to see a hot-hot to a cool-cool shift, these Pyrex Measuring Cups are probably not as good a choice as a borosilicate product.

If usage is more general-usage without extreme temperature fluctuations, these Measuring Cups are an awesome choice as they have a solid design, are easy-to-read, are affordable, and will last many years. Like most Pyrex products, the overall design here is great and at a very affordable price. Chances are, this is a great product for your kitchen. But YMMV.
I bought these measuring cups to replace the plastic cups we used to use in the microwave along with the old glass cups that had faded measurement lines. We use these Pyrex cups mainly for measurement of cold liquids but also for 1-2 minute stints in the microwave to heat up certain items. I checked the measurements and they appear accurate.

We were unaware of the "thousands" of incidents of these exploding in microwaves and don't intend to heat them in the microwave for longer than the 1-2 minutes we require. If indeed they do explode, it's just another example of a different company buying the goodwill of an old company's name and then changing the original product by either messing with the original formula or using a cheaper manufacturing process.

The unfortunate part for all of us is that we can't depend on the old names that we always relied upon to deliver a quality product. Each time I look at any major purchase I now look to see if a different company owns the original name. We learned this the hard way when buying a new washer and dryer to replace our old Maytag machines. Fortunately I bought an extended warranty on both.
on May 10, 2015
Cute 2 Cup measuring cup. Seems durable. I have another one from before which is bigger. So far so good. Here are the pictures with comparison in my hand and measurement.
Please, note that you can find this cup (or other dimensions of the same brand) in any 1 dollar store for much less!!
on June 18, 2014
This is a versatile kitchen tool. Its a good measuring cup. It's glass. That means it can or will break if dropped on your ceramic tile floor or your sink. That also means it will not absorb stains nor leach who knows what into the contents. It washes clean. I use it to measure water for coffee as well as a microwave safe container for heating water to make that coffee. In a pinch it can serve to make a good cup of joe with little else. [Please be aware IF you use this to heat water in the microwave! It is very easy to superheat water. The water may be 4 or 5 degrees F above boiling point without bubbles. Jostle the cup and here they come directing steam and bubbles upward and even outward. I noticed this when inserting a digital thermometer to monitor cooling water for coffee]

*Add desired quantity of water and heat to boiling in the microwave. Wait 30 to 45 seconds for water to cool. (assuming you are at elevation below 4,000 ft)

*Add desired amount of coffee and stir. Stir again after 1, 2 and 3 minutes. If possible keep cup covered during this time to maintain temperature. (This is more for maintaining brewing conditions than to ensure a hot drink.) The coffee grounds will saturate and settle.

*After 4 minutes, carefully decant the coffee into whatever cup you are going to drink from. If you have a filter or even tea strainer you can use that. If necessary, you can drink from the measuring cup. Coffee grounds are gritty but they don't taste bad and won't hurt you!

Versatile and useful kitchen tool.
on February 18, 2015
I have been through many measuring cups. First, several plastic ones. They all cracked at some point, either the handle or the cup itself. So, I moved on to glass cups.

I had previously purchased a similar (but different brand name) glass measuring cup to this one at a local big-box home & kitchen store. After only about one month, I noticed that the red writing on the side was fading off in the dishwasher. Now, after about 3 months, I can barely read the measurement lines.

So, I decided to take a chance on this Pyrex cup. I've had it for several months now and I am happy to say that the lines are still nice and bright, even after numerous runs through the dishwasher. It appears very sturdy and heavy duty. I have had no issues whatsoever. Granted, I don't generally use it for anything but cold liquids, but I think that it would hold up to whatever I used it for.

All-in-all, this is worth the money. I actually may buy a couple more for when I need back ups while cooking.