Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Carters Electronics Gift Guide Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon theaffairS4 theaffairS4 theaffairS4  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on February 20, 2015
Been using for about 15 days now. No complaints here. Nice thick, even glass
review image
48 people found this helpful
on February 10, 2015
I read the reviews prior to buying this and I was hesitant to purchase this at first.

Pyrex bowls were originally made of borosilicate glass which could resist thermal shock better.
But Pyrex switched to cheaper soda-lime glass, which is cheaper and more abundant.

Some reviews said their bowls shattered because of exposure to drastic heat changes.

I bought these bowls after much thought. Originally I was going to purchase the SIMAX borosilicate glass mixing bowls, but they were almost 3 times as expensive and out of my budget.

Pyrex has said these bowls were made of heat tempered glass which could withstand heat just as well as borosilicate glass, and another upside to these bowls is that it is more durable, as it made of thicker glass.

However, I am not 100% convinced as I have seen some pictures of shattered Pyrex ovenware. If you want a good lifelong investment I suggest buying a higher quality glass made of borosilicate glass.

Overall, I recommend it because of the affordable price and I have used it twice as a double boiler without any cracks forming yet.
One person found this helpful
on January 11, 2014
I desperately needed mixing bowls. In the past I'd had plastic ones, but I always love the look of glass- so this time I bought glass. I'm so happy I did. This set is just perfect. I love baking, but never bake huge batches of things. These three bowls are just the right size for a family of 4 to 6. It includes a 1 quart, 1 1/2 quart, and 2 1/2 quart bowl. Each of the bowls have a flat heavy bottom that keeps them from easily tipping over and about a 1/4 inch ridge around the edge which helps you grip the bowls and move them around (even with butter fingers).

These bowls are kind of heavy. Not as easy to move around as plastic ones, but they also don't tip over as easily. I prefer the fact they don't tip over as easily. Keeps messes to a minimum- even with kids helping you cook. These are made of very thick glass. We've dropped them a few times- they've never cracked, never chipped, never broke. They're fantastic. They are also microwavable safe. We don't have a dishwasher so I can't review that aspect- but they do claim to be dishwasher safe as well.

The bowls fit nicely within each other so they store flawlessly. They look nice even when they're not being used. We store them on a kitchen shelf and they look pretty with the rest of the cookware. They clean very easily. The smooth surface can pretty much be wiped out with a paper towel and shines perfectly. Even after months of use they still sparkle like they're brand new! No scratches or permanent marks.

The smaller bowl is great for mixing seasonings, beating eggs, mixing wet ingredients, and small servings at the dinner table (things like gravy, fresh fruit, or steamed veggies).

The medium bowl is perfect for storing eggs in the refrigerator (fits 18 nicely inside), mixing dry ingredients, serving sides at the dinner table (mashed potatoes, casseroles, macaroni and cheese).

The large bowl is just the right size for mixing baking ingredients (cake, cookies, pie crust), serving large portions of meals, serving popcorn at a family movie night, and storing fresh fruit in the refrigerator.

All together this set covers most of my baking and cooking needs. They're a great set to keep on hand- although I think I could use two of them during bigger family events and holidays. I love the look. I love the heavy-weight aspect. I love how easy they are to store. And I love how the different sizes are ideal for the things I need to use mixing bowls for!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 8, 2015
Pyrex bowls are a must for recipes that have acidic or very alkali ingredients and you don't want the flavors to pick up metallic tastes from metal mixing bowls. The advantage is a truly non-absorbent mixing bowl with clear visibility. The downsides are these are much heavier than steel mixing bowls and a little more dainty when washing them (not as sturdy as steel). However, given the benefits and very low prices of these mixing bowls and the fact they are still made in America, I think these are great value and a must in every kitchen. They are also very handy for holding nuts in shell and any other uses you may need that benefits from a clean transparent container. Recommended.
One person found this helpful
on March 3, 2014
I was concerned with some of the reviews on here from people complaining about the product not being up to "Pyrex" standards, and that they broke when they dropped them on a hard floor... (That one baffles me, I typically avoid dropping large glass objects on the hardwood floors in my kitchen, but that's just me.)
They were packaged very well considering they are made of glass, arrived promptly and intact... I used the bowls the day I received them as I also purchased a deep fryer from Amazon two days prior, so I used the bowls to prepare fried chicken. The sizes are absolutely perfect, making it easy to have one for batter, one for breading, etc... And as far as their design, I would say they are perfect! They're very durable feeling, however they are not so thick that they are cumbersome to use, which has been a complaint of mine in the past. And with the design in mind, I wouldn't be opposed or worried to use them as serving bowls in a pinch either.
In summary, durable, attractive, easy to clean, and great size.
on April 3, 2014
This 3 piece Mixing Bowl Set from Pyrex offers the ideal sizes to fill in those gaps in your mixing bowl needs. They appear to be well made and certainly are a value at the listed price. For years I have struggled to find something in the kitchen that is properly proportioned for a given task. Now, besides the very large Pyrex bowl I have utilized to my satisfaction for decades, I have three of the longed for sizes that will end my scrounging through the cupboards for some crummy plastic bowl with a flaking surface of unhealthy residue. If these last as long as the big old Pyrex bowl I bought 30 years ago, they will be meeting my mixing requirements even after I have passed on.
on January 30, 2015
These are nice mixing bowls. They have a slight blue hue to them that gives them a hint of beauty. I have used all three of them and they only came a couple days ago. I hope these last longer than my last bowls of this size. I broke the other three bowls of this size over the last couple years and have just managed by using my larger mixing bowls and soup bowls for mixing and microwaving. The larger bowls were ceramic and expensive. This set is very reasonable priced. You can't go wrong with pyrex. The bowls are nice enough to use as serving dishes if needed. I like the added rim edge that they have.
on September 20, 2012
These are a great set of mixing bowls. They're durable and versatile. You can use them for mixing, baking in the oven, microwaving, storing stuff in the fridge, and they're dishwasher safe. Just make sure you read the instructions as with Pyrex you never want to expose it to extreme temperature changes; for example taking it from the fridge and immediately sticking it into a hot oven, or vise-versa. I learned this the hard way years ago when reheating leftover casserole and after about 2 minutes in the oven it shattered everywhere, and as you could imagine it was quite a mess to clean up!
4 people found this helpful
on January 12, 2014
These bowls are great for mixing up your favorite cooking ingredients or even light baking needs. Even the largest bowl isn't very deep so you do risk some spillage if you plan to do any kind of fast mixing with these bowls but I knew that before I purchased them. They are great for mixing light ingredients or salad. You can even serve the salad in them since the all glass design gives them an elegant appearance.

Since they are all glass they clean very easily and also are totally dishwasher safe.

These bowls also save space in your cabinet because they nest within each other perfectly.

All in all this is a great set at a very good price.
on November 12, 2014
What can I say? Pyrex glassware is the best and everybody knows it. Just as the item description states, these bowls are oven safe (once the oven is already pre-heated), microwave safe, fridge and freezer safe, and dishwasher safe. I think the 2 1/2 quart is the most practical size. Some prefer a metal mixing bowl, but many tasks can only be done in one of these bowls. You can melt chocolate in the microwave in one of these bowls. The pastry cutter works easily against the smooth sturdy sides of the bowl to make pie dough easy as pie. And any cooking project can be placed in the fridge, freezer, or oven as needed.