Amazon Business Books with Buzz STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services GimmeDanger GimmeDanger GimmeDanger  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Elton John Shop Now STEM

Style Name: Without Lid|Size: 3 piece set|Change
Price:$11.87 - $59.95

Showing 1-10 of 840 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 928 reviews
VINE VOICEon January 7, 2005
If you need some wide, shallow mixing bowls, these are a nice choice. Their design is attractive and basic, and you know the benefits of Pyrex. Before buying, you should consider stainless steel instead, as it is lighter (these are a bit heavy) and won't explode into sharp bits if you drop it on your tile floor. Also, bear in mind that these bowls are shallow, so if you are a messy mixer (or use an electric mixer or a fast whisk), you may end up slopping ingredients out over the side.

Their wide shape and clear material lets them do double duty as informal serving bowls, which a true (high sided) mixing bowl doesn't do very well.

In short, these are nice to have around for certain uses, but choose high-sided stainless steel bowls as your main set.
77 comments| 255 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 20, 2015
Been using for about 15 days now. No complaints here. Nice thick, even glass
review image
on April 28, 2015
Best bowls in the house!! Perfect sizes! Love 'em!
on February 4, 2015
Great set of glass bowls! Great price.
on January 22, 2015
good
on October 22, 2005
I have become increasingly fond of glass items in the kitchen. I have purchased glass lids for many of my pots, etc. I prefer to see what is happening during mixing and cooking. Current glass, including Pyrex, is very durable; I have never broken a piece.

These bowls work brilliantly for myriad uses. They go into the oven, microwave, and fridge with aplomb.

PS

I like also the set of small Pyrex bowls, often seen on cooking shows, to hold spices, diced veggies, etc during preparation. These are also available on Amazon.
on February 10, 2015
I read the reviews prior to buying this and I was hesitant to purchase this at first.

Pyrex bowls were originally made of borosilicate glass which could resist thermal shock better.
But Pyrex switched to cheaper soda-lime glass, which is cheaper and more abundant.

Some reviews said their bowls shattered because of exposure to drastic heat changes.

I bought these bowls after much thought. Originally I was going to purchase the SIMAX borosilicate glass mixing bowls, but they were almost 3 times as expensive and out of my budget.

Pyrex has said these bowls were made of heat tempered glass which could withstand heat just as well as borosilicate glass, and another upside to these bowls is that it is more durable, as it made of thicker glass.

However, I am not 100% convinced as I have seen some pictures of shattered Pyrex ovenware. If you want a good lifelong investment I suggest buying a higher quality glass made of borosilicate glass.

Overall, I recommend it because of the affordable price and I have used it twice as a double boiler without any cracks forming yet.
on September 20, 2012
These are a great set of mixing bowls. They're durable and versatile. You can use them for mixing, baking in the oven, microwaving, storing stuff in the fridge, and they're dishwasher safe. Just make sure you read the instructions as with Pyrex you never want to expose it to extreme temperature changes; for example taking it from the fridge and immediately sticking it into a hot oven, or vise-versa. I learned this the hard way years ago when reheating leftover casserole and after about 2 minutes in the oven it shattered everywhere, and as you could imagine it was quite a mess to clean up!
on February 1, 2006
I knew what I was buying, so there weren't any surprises. The only thing I do not like about them is the shallowness; I wanted that feature for storage, but I didn't take into account how easy it is to be messy when mixing. I would suggest having another bowl around for use with an electric mixer. I like them, and I would buy them again...
on March 20, 2009
I've always believed in Pyrex because the product is durable & takes a beating. Also, they are pretty on the counter with fruit or flowers. I would buy again. Mardi in Birmingham

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.