YED Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 New Year, New You Valentines Day STEM Book House Cleaning homeland6 homeland6 homeland6  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis La La Land Shop Now NYNN

Style Name: Without Lid|Size: 3 piece set|Change

Showing 1-10 of 839 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 929 reviews
VINE VOICEon January 7, 2005
If you need some wide, shallow mixing bowls, these are a nice choice. Their design is attractive and basic, and you know the benefits of Pyrex. Before buying, you should consider stainless steel instead, as it is lighter (these are a bit heavy) and won't explode into sharp bits if you drop it on your tile floor. Also, bear in mind that these bowls are shallow, so if you are a messy mixer (or use an electric mixer or a fast whisk), you may end up slopping ingredients out over the side.

Their wide shape and clear material lets them do double duty as informal serving bowls, which a true (high sided) mixing bowl doesn't do very well.

In short, these are nice to have around for certain uses, but choose high-sided stainless steel bowls as your main set.
77 comments| 255 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 20, 2015
Been using for about 15 days now. No complaints here. Nice thick, even glass
review image
on October 22, 2005
I have become increasingly fond of glass items in the kitchen. I have purchased glass lids for many of my pots, etc. I prefer to see what is happening during mixing and cooking. Current glass, including Pyrex, is very durable; I have never broken a piece.

These bowls work brilliantly for myriad uses. They go into the oven, microwave, and fridge with aplomb.

PS

I like also the set of small Pyrex bowls, often seen on cooking shows, to hold spices, diced veggies, etc during preparation. These are also available on Amazon.
on February 10, 2015
I read the reviews prior to buying this and I was hesitant to purchase this at first.

Pyrex bowls were originally made of borosilicate glass which could resist thermal shock better.
But Pyrex switched to cheaper soda-lime glass, which is cheaper and more abundant.

Some reviews said their bowls shattered because of exposure to drastic heat changes.

I bought these bowls after much thought. Originally I was going to purchase the SIMAX borosilicate glass mixing bowls, but they were almost 3 times as expensive and out of my budget.

Pyrex has said these bowls were made of heat tempered glass which could withstand heat just as well as borosilicate glass, and another upside to these bowls is that it is more durable, as it made of thicker glass.

However, I am not 100% convinced as I have seen some pictures of shattered Pyrex ovenware. If you want a good lifelong investment I suggest buying a higher quality glass made of borosilicate glass.

Overall, I recommend it because of the affordable price and I have used it twice as a double boiler without any cracks forming yet.
on September 20, 2012
These are a great set of mixing bowls. They're durable and versatile. You can use them for mixing, baking in the oven, microwaving, storing stuff in the fridge, and they're dishwasher safe. Just make sure you read the instructions as with Pyrex you never want to expose it to extreme temperature changes; for example taking it from the fridge and immediately sticking it into a hot oven, or vise-versa. I learned this the hard way years ago when reheating leftover casserole and after about 2 minutes in the oven it shattered everywhere, and as you could imagine it was quite a mess to clean up!
on February 1, 2006
I knew what I was buying, so there weren't any surprises. The only thing I do not like about them is the shallowness; I wanted that feature for storage, but I didn't take into account how easy it is to be messy when mixing. I would suggest having another bowl around for use with an electric mixer. I like them, and I would buy them again...
on March 20, 2009
I've always believed in Pyrex because the product is durable & takes a beating. Also, they are pretty on the counter with fruit or flowers. I would buy again. Mardi in Birmingham
on June 27, 2013
Like the title says great set of Pyrex mixing bowls for the money, I just broke our big mixing bowl last week and I promised the wife I would buy her another. After seeing three in this set I was all over it, they shipped out very quickly and being part of Amazon Prime I expected it too. Bowls are typical Pyrex quality, dishwasher safe, microwave safe, and freezer safe.
My only complaint is I thought the big one was the same size at the one I broke, l later found out in actual fact I broke a 4.0 quart mixing bowl, so my wife got a bargain and got this set plus I still have to buy her the bigger bowl, unfortunately I can find the bigger bowl online someplace else, and that makes me sad because I believe Amazon "Usually" has the cheapest prices around.
Not this time Amazon.
on December 31, 2014
I don't know how I ever lived without these. I use them all the time! The largest one is big - I use it to make cakes, whip cream, serve a large salad, they are so versatile, you can mix, serve and store right in these bowls.
VINE VOICEon December 14, 2012
My last set of Pyrex bowls was more than 20 years old and getting pretty scratched up, plus I had broken one. Their weight makes them stable on the counter when mixing, whipping, or stirring and are heat resistant. The glass is tempered and thick so they are very study. I like my stainless bowls, too, but because they are so light weight, they require a pretty firm grip. These glass bowls clean easily, and are dishwasher safe. This is a quality set that any cook would love to see as a gift, too. I highly recommend them.