Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Size: 8 Cup|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 4,274 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,795 reviews
on February 26, 2014
A long time ago I purchased a set of pyrex measuring cups: 1 cup, 2 cup, and 4 cup. I love them and use them daily. I have found that the one that I use the most is the 2 cup. Because of how often I use this, it seems like it is always dirty. So I finally ordered a second one. But it is not the same! The markings are the same, the handle is the same, but the pour spout is different! My old one pours wonderfully; I can pour it fast or slow and it doesn't spill. The new one has a narrower pour spout. Somehow this causes it to pour down the side of the measuring cup and all over the counter instead of where I want it to go. If I pour very slowly (about the same speed as my slow fridge water), I can sometimes avoid spilling. I almost returned it after the first time I used it and I wish I had; I would rather wash the other one repeatedly while making something than use my new one. I took some pictures to post showing the change, but I cannot seem to find how to do it with this product.

Pyrex: If you change this item back to it's previous standard please let me know! I would love to purchase another that is like the old one I have! :)
review image review image
2121 comments| 562 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2014
I bought this expecting Pyrex thermal shock resistant lab grade glass called borosilicate glass which has always been a trademark of all Pyrex glassware. I was planning on using it by heating it directly on a stove top (approx. 300C) and dropping it into ice to rapidly cool. After doing some research, I found out that Pyrex is not Pyrex anymore. Corning Inc. sold its famed Pyrex brand in 1998 to World Kitchen LLC. World Kitchen LLC, instead of using borosilicate glass, switched to a cheaper alternative, tempered soda-lime glass, which is still great for most of regular cooking uses. For the price of $16 which I paid for this set, it is still a good deal; however, it does not fit my purposes which require glass limiting thermal expansion. "There's no substitute for Pyrex, the original glass bakeware. Introduced 90 years ago and made of a durable, high temperature material, Pyrex remains the ideal medium for safe, dependable food preparation. Use and care: Avoid sudden temperature changes. No stovetop or broiler use. Do not overheat oil or butter. Microwave and dishwasher safe." I guess I have myself to blame for not reading the description thoroughly; however, I find the first half of that statement extremely misleading. This is NOT the product that was introduced "90 years ago." The old product could withstand stovetop and boiler use. I would have no issue with the product if it did not call itself Pyrex.
11 comment| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2016
Okay, measuring cups are not that complex. They have only a few things to accomplish. One is to allow you to measure liquids or dry goods. The Pyrex does this well. The lettering is clear and it does not wear off. Not being plastic, it is also not going to melt should you accidentally place it on a hot stove top (typically glass ranges).

The other job and one of major importance, is allowing the clean pouring of its contents. This is where the Pyres 2-cup measuring cup fails its intended job. Unless you pour liquids very slowly, you are going to get flooding down the cup all over your counter. I also own an Anchor Hocking 2-cup measuring cup that does not have this issue so I examined the differences in the pouring spouts.

The Pyrex spout is very small and narrow and appears to have been formed simply by pulling the rim. I'm not sure if these are made by heating and forming or whether from some mold, but it is very small, so liquids do not pass well through the spout except at very low velocity.

If you examine the Anchor Hocking brand cups in my photos, you will notice that the spouts are formed much wider and have a less-angular design. The outer edges of the spout is also higher than the upper rim of the cup. These cups pour a lot better than the Pyrex. I just thought people might like to know this because it is a difficult thing to determine without it being pointed out.
on December 11, 2015
"i rececently perchased a pyrex 2-cup measurring cup and it exploded" I used it ,washed it the put it away , hours later we hear an explosion in the cabinet to fine out its the new pyrex measuring cup,, would have never expect it to happen
review image review image
22 comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 12, 2010
I needed a small measuring cup and decided to purchase a Pyrex brand one because I already had a nice old large quart sized Pyrex measuring cup that had outlasted many other measuring cups which I got tired of replacing constantly. To make sure that my new measuring cup would last, I did some investigation on the new "Pyrex" brand of glassware. Corning Glass Works the company that manufactured the Pyrex line had sold the name to another company in the late 90s and there were reports of this newer glassware exploding/breaking. The explosions were a result of the new glassware being made of a different type of glass compared to the vintage Pyrex glassware which was made of borosilicate glass (the same type used in laboratory glassware abused by students and scientists). It was also a result of users not following instructions from the manufacturer (instructions who needs instructions? Uh oh... it blew up).

But some people are used to using the old Pyrex glassware in ways that the newer type of glass would not be compatible with. That type of usage almost always involved thermal shock or rapid change in temperature such as placing hot glassware onto a cold surface, putting hot glassware with burnt-on food into the sink to soak, placing refrigerated glassware into a preheated oven, etc. The borosilicate glass originally used to make Pyrex glassware had a low thermal expansion coefficient which made it more resistant to rapid temperature changes compared to the new tempered soda lime glass now in use. It is understandable that the company had to cut costs by using a low-cost type of glass in order to survive, but they should also remember that consumers have a habit of using their product in a certain way (hey habits are hard to break).

With that problem sorted out, I purchased the measuring cup and read the instructions/warnings before using it.

For most uses in the kitchen, the new measuring cup works great on most types of ingredients. It also has the clear measurement markings in metric and US units plus a comfortable handle similar to older Pyrex designs. The only issue I had was how to measure out boiling hot liquids for something like making Jello because this would mean that the glass is being exposed to a rapid temperature change. The way around this problem is to start with the liquid at room temperature, measure out the amount needed, and heating it up in the microwave. It felt inconvenient to have to wait for liquids to cool for measuring and then reheating it, but I had to break the old routine of pouring hot liquids into a measuring cup.

In any case, this is still a good measuring cup that is still made in the United States (hooray for supporting domestic jobs & reducing the amount of fuel used to transport it to consumers). The measuring cup is made of thick glass with bold, easy to read markings and a solid handle. It is also easier to clean than plastic measuring cups that tend to stain and absorb odors. Just remember not to expose the measuring cup to rapid temperature changes and it should last just as long as any other piece of old Pyrex glassware. Though I still wish Corning or World Kitchen would produce a measuring cup made of durable borosilicate glass.
3434 comments| 598 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 31, 2016
um... "freaky" about sums up my experience. my old pyrex measuring cups have lasted for-ev-er(!) and this one, not so much. it just cracked up - literally. and as i write this, it is still cracking, popping, and breaking smaller pieces off. At 12:00 noon(ish), I boiled water for iced tea in my Pyrex 8-glass measuring cup. I made the tea, let it cool down for about an hour, tranferred the tea to another glass container and refrigerated that. Rinsed the now cooled Pyrex mega measuring cup out, set it on a bamboo cutting board to dry next to the sink to dry. That's my contribution to what happened next -- I made ice tea...something I've done before many times. In this Pyrex measuring cup.

Bam!!! Today, at about 2:00pm, I heard a loud pop and glass tinkling. At first thought one of the dogs or cat knocked something off the counter-- except, "everyone" was taking their Sunday afternoon snooze. Upon walking into the kitchen, I heard another pop-- and a piece of glass flew right into the sink. Crazy!

I loved to be able to measure, mix, and cook in this Pyrex dish. Sigh....
review image
33 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 25, 2016
Pyrex Prepware 8-Cup Measuring Cup, Clear with Red Lid and Measurements
I loved it until today. Heating water to 180 for my Oolong tea batch and the thing exploded into a gazillion pieces. I know it is overtime to get a refund but it was a disaster cleanup job. You can see the glass crazed and shattered. Isn't is supposed to be microwave safe?
on August 27, 2016
I have had this measuring cup for 2 months. The red paint has already worn off below the 1 cup measuring line, rendering the thing useless for what it is intended for....MEASURING up to 2 cups of liquids accurately. I've included a photo. Of course, the lettering didn't wear off enough for me to notice until it was too late to return. I had a Pyrex measuring cup for 16 years until it's letters wore off...which lead me to buy this one...They must have lowered their standards. Blah.
on November 3, 2015
I would like to tell you about a scary incident that happened with my Pyrex 2- cup measuring cup. I was heating water in the microwave for my toddler who had a sore throat, I purposely didn't want it to be too hot. I set the microwave's auto cook for three minutes, but I pulled it out around 2 minutes and 30 seconds. When I removed the measuring cup from the microwave, it shattered just as my hand touched the handle. The handle and glass was unexplainably hot for microwaving it a short period of time. This Pyrex measuring cup caused severe burns on my hand. I have since heard about numerous examples like this with Pyrex glassware and think something needs to be done before more injuries occur.
on December 25, 2016
Just used the large 8 cup for the first time this morning to make pancake batter. When I was done I set it in the sink with some warm water and soap to soak while we ate. Then came back to clean up. Was running the water and washing a spoon over the pyrex 8 cup, when it basically exploded inside my sink. Scared the crap out of me. I'm glad I was wearing my glasses as it exploded enough to end up with glass on my counter and in the sink next to it. I was not even touching it, and the water was not that hot. It was cool enough for me to have my hands under it for an extended period of time while washing my spoon. Definitely not your mother's pyrex. I have one that I've had for 20 years and it's still going strong. I got this set because I wanted the big one. Now i's broken after it's first use, just from running water.