Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 30, 2015
Confirmed from Pyrex (World Kitchen) that this is indeed soda lime glass, not borosilicate like the old Pyrex. Soda lime glass has been in the news because it can explode when going from one temperature extreme to the other. My research says that even taking a hot bowl from the microwave and setting it on a counter can be enough to set it off. Wanted to return it, but would have to pay shipping back so after spending almost $15 would only be refunded about $5. So, we'll keep it and just not use it for heating. Bummer, and all in the name of worshipping the bottom line over providing good product.
44 comments| 163 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Top Contributor: Cookingon November 20, 2014
I needed some bowls for storage and mobility for things like picnics and neighborhood potlucks, so I bought these bowls thinking that I'd use them a few times a year. As it turns out, these bowls are incredibly useful, and I find that I use them all the time. They are good sizes, and the lids fit on very tightly (in fact, they aren't that easy to get off, but I think that's a good thing), so I know that the food inside is secure.

The bowls themselves are surprisingly sturdy and heavier than I expected. All in all, this was a great purchase, and I may have to order another set for occasional use. ;)
on June 11, 2016
Very handy. I bought these to replace my old plastic mixing bowls; they were starting to turn colors on the inside, and the protective plastic coating was coming off, making them unsafe to use for cooking.

These glass mixing bowls are perfect. They nest neatly inside one another for easy storage, and the color-coded lids makes them a cinch to use for storing leftovers without having to hunt for the right lid. They clean SO MUCH EASIER than the plastic bowls, and I don't have to worry about them retaining smells or staining through usage. Definitely a good choice!
on July 12, 2013
I use these Pyrex bowls and covers for many uses: they are the best for storage of cooked fruit, vegetables, fish, etc. They are good for uncooked (raw) foods as well, especially left-over items from opened cans of food. The covers help keep the food fresh for future use. One note of caution: each matching cover must be snapped into place all around the bowl's rim in order to maintain an air-tight closure and prevent air from coming in, which can spoil the food. This must be done carefully and checked before placing into the refrigerator or freezer. When removing food from a bowl and then returning it to the refrigerator, the same caution must be exercised in order to maintain the contents' freshness. I had a couple of occasions, that the rim was not completely sealed, and the food spoiled within a few days. I have found that I have saved money, over the plastic, disposable food storage containers. Once they develop an odor of fish, especially, or get oily from the food contents, they are very hard to clean and reuse. That is when they must be disposed of. However, these Pyrex bowls and covers are very hardy, durable and easy to clean. They are long-lasting for years. They also make great gifts.
on January 7, 2014
I am a lazy bachelor. There, I said it. I have a complete set of dinnerware at home but my favorite kitchenware is a 1 qt. Pyrex bowl. I call it my "dog bowl" because I use it for everything; I eat cereal and milk out of it. Also, soups, stews, popcorn, you name it. Pyrex is the best because you can nuke it or heat it in the oven. Well, my old one is getting scratched and worn so I invested in the Pyrex Smart Essentials 6-Piece Mixing Bowl Set.
Best investment I ever made! It came in a sturdy, heavy-duty cardboard box. I always wanted more sizes and now I also have 1.5 and 2.5 qt. bowls in addition to a new 1 qt. bowl. I have lids for them that fit nicely and each bowl has a nice lip which makes it easy to pick up when hot. A pleasant bonus is that they are not only made in the USA, they're made in my home state! My only "complaint" is that I should have bought the 8-piece set that includes the 4 qt. bowl and lid!
on July 31, 2016
These bowls are so versatile! The lids fit great & are easy to get on & off. Bowls stack nicely inside of each other - I put the lids under them, but sometimes on top to store them. Use them for mixing as well as serving bowls. Love these - I now own two sets since I have used them so often, I wished I had more when entertaining so I finally got my second set. Can't go wrong with these.
on March 12, 2014
I have always been a big fan of Pyrex. Cooks well in the microwave, and always looks beautifully clean. However, I was cooking in the microwave the other day, had the blue lid on the 2 quart, and it warped so badly it has become unusable. Now, perhaps part of it was my fault; maybe the lid should have been looser. However, I have never had that happen on a Pyrex dish before. I am still a fan of Pyrex, nothing lasts longer and cleans better.
on August 8, 2015
Nice addition if you are looking for plastic alternative, as this WILL NOT ABSORB ODORS---lid probably would though. The lids are not 100%
airt-ight, but works fine when marinating cause you can cover it up. Works great in the fridge for a pre-mixed salad, too. Sturdy glass and lids. Overall I love this.
on June 25, 2017
Very nice :) Unexpectedly large footprint in the cupboard. I was replacing my old ones from decades ago, and these are very different.
on December 16, 2014
Ordered the Pyrex Smart Essentials 6-Piece Bowl set for my Mom's Christmas gift, and from first sight she and I was well pleased! I initially wanted the 8 piece set, but it was unavailable so I decided on the 6 piece. My Mom is a Pyrex fan and uses their products all the time, and these were a little different from the rest cause they came with colored lids. Very well pleased all the way around with the purchase. The item came earlier than expected, was well packaged, and in new condition as stated. I HIGHLY recommend the seller for all your shopping needs. Thanks my friends!!....

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.