Truck Reviews Beauty Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on September 30, 2015
Confirmed from Pyrex (World Kitchen) that this is indeed soda lime glass, not borosilicate like the old Pyrex. Soda lime glass has been in the news because it can explode when going from one temperature extreme to the other. My research says that even taking a hot bowl from the microwave and setting it on a counter can be enough to set it off. Wanted to return it, but would have to pay shipping back so after spending almost $15 would only be refunded about $5. So, we'll keep it and just not use it for heating. Bummer, and all in the name of worshipping the bottom line over providing good product.
163 people found this helpful
|44 comments|Report abuse
on September 12, 2016
I affirm that those who love to cook need the standard stainless steel bowl set AND this Pyrex set with lids... I also had the Pyrex bigger bowl, with a rim (same style) for dough work. Being microwave safe is sooooo handy for mixing and immediate heating, the price is very right and I should have bought this set years ago. I have not used them in a hot oven yet (after the exploding glass scare a few years back) but I think they will be fine IF USED CORRECTLY AS ADVISED AND COMMON SENSE INDICATES. (i.e. cold water on a hot rock... boom) I did not buy them for hot oven use. They bundle up together well and I set the lids on top where I can always find them... to simply toss in the reefer for storage. Know that the lids are very snug.
I am careful with the glass bowls... just because... but I use them a lot and have had no problems of any kind.
I don't shill for anyone and I am fussy about the 'functionability' (hmmm) of my kitchen gear. I will update if necessary... but at this early point... I don't remember how I got along without'em.
3 people found this helpful
on July 13, 2016
I am an avid baker. When I do not use my standing mixer, I used to beat my mixtures with an electric hand-held mixer in a plastic bowl. When I began to notice all the scratch on my plastic bowls, I got a bit worried - what if the small pieces of plastic get scratched up into my baking mixture?! These glass bowls are a nice life saver! They are just the right size for just about everything. I use the biggest bowl for mixing big batches of mixtures, and the small ones for mixing sauces. What's nice about it is that they also come with lids, which is a big helper when I need to keep a mixture in the fridge overnight. Very happy with this product!
4 people found this helpful
on December 17, 2016
I love these bowls. I am still using my original set of four that I bought in 2007. They are sturdy, the lids fit snugly, and serve well for all of my food preparation and storage needs. I love that the lids remind me of the capacity of each bowl. I purchased these because I am so hooked on using them that I needed more than four! The bowls nest nicely for storage. I gave a friend a set of these as a gift and she actually got rid of old bowls that she had, preferring these.
on January 7, 2014
I am a lazy bachelor. There, I said it. I have a complete set of dinnerware at home but my favorite kitchenware is a 1 qt. Pyrex bowl. I call it my "dog bowl" because I use it for everything; I eat cereal and milk out of it. Also, soups, stews, popcorn, you name it. Pyrex is the best because you can nuke it or heat it in the oven. Well, my old one is getting scratched and worn so I invested in the Pyrex Smart Essentials 6-Piece Mixing Bowl Set.
Best investment I ever made! It came in a sturdy, heavy-duty cardboard box. I always wanted more sizes and now I also have 1.5 and 2.5 qt. bowls in addition to a new 1 qt. bowl. I have lids for them that fit nicely and each bowl has a nice lip which makes it easy to pick up when hot. A pleasant bonus is that they are not only made in the USA, they're made in my home state! My only "complaint" is that I should have bought the 8-piece set that includes the 4 qt. bowl and lid!
on March 15, 2014
This is a previous review.
" I already had these pieces, but want to use less saran wrap as saran wrap has become stinky. These provide tops that do not have an odor and that is of utmost importance to me."

This is the first time I've ever bought Pyrex that had a defect in the glass - not breakage, but a fuzzy hair crack in the bottom of the bowl.

I am updating my review today because of a defect in the smallest bowl. I am disappointed even though I only ordered this set so that I can have the largest bowl, and the largest bowl by itself was $9 or $10 without the rest of the bowls. So, I ordered the set of 4 with lids.

Since this defect is in the smaller bowl, I am now getting two extra bowls for about another $10 over purchase price just the big bowl.
on May 9, 2014
I debated for a long time, but I love glass and I love being able to store them in the fridge with a lid that matches.

I can't stand when people put food in the fridge without covering it. (Especially you have roommates and and you don't know what is going bad in there!) Now that I have these, I use them to store leftovers all the time. I also use them for what they are named for. The smaller sizes are also perfect for keeping on the counter with chopped up veggies to put in to the bigger bowl/pot/pan. I make guacamole every other week and the 2.5 quart is a perfect size for mixing, mashing, and then storing away.

The Good:
1. They clean very well and I usually wash them in the top rack of the dishwasher. If they held something for a while and got crusty, then I usually just give them a light scrub and then pop them in the dishwasher. This was one of the main reasons why I got them in glass.
2. They are also very sturdy. I don't feel wary of dropping them and don't feel worried when they hit other items in the sink. Of course, since they are glass, you would never want to drop them. However, Pyrex is known to be a good brand in terms of durability!
3. The lids fit very tightly over the top and storing these three are very easy and
4. don't take up too much space because you can fit them all in the biggest bowl in order of size.

The Bad:
I can't think of anything negative to say about them!

(I've had these for a while now, and was waiting to write up a review so I could give a more accurate and honest opinion.)
3 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon June 10, 2015
These bowls are great for cooking and great for mixing. I love them for being able to store whatever Im making in them.

I think they also seem to use better lids. Before some of the pyrex lids would become brittle after washing. These dont which Im glad for. I also do suggest, as usual, to not put them with the lids completely sealed after washing as sometimes it seems like a pressurized environment forms inside making it hard to open and probably leading to why my other ones could become brittle or break upon opening.

In any case, great strong Pyrex mixing bowls that dont mold or bend like the metal ones that people love to use.
Top Contributor: Cookingon November 20, 2014
I needed some bowls for storage and mobility for things like picnics and neighborhood potlucks, so I bought these bowls thinking that I'd use them a few times a year. As it turns out, these bowls are incredibly useful, and I find that I use them all the time. They are good sizes, and the lids fit on very tightly (in fact, they aren't that easy to get off, but I think that's a good thing), so I know that the food inside is secure.

The bowls themselves are surprisingly sturdy and heavier than I expected. All in all, this was a great purchase, and I may have to order another set for occasional use. ;)
on August 5, 2013
This is exactly what I needed for my main set of mixing bowls - they nest and have great fitting and colorful lids. Plus, they are not too heavy at all, but yet obviously sturdy. And I love the lip around the top edge of the bowls, as they make it easier to carry or lift with pot holders. I use to have the old colored design Pyrex bowls, but they were quite heavy. I currently have sturdy plastic nesting bowls but they have their downfalls. This clear glass set is far superior in so many ways. They don't stain or hold a smell, you can watch what you are cooking w/o taking off the lid, and they are great for using a hand held mixer. And when I use them for storing left overs in the fridge, I will be able to see what is in them! Plus I can use them in the oven as well as the microwave. I imagine I will make A LOT of use of these for years to come.
16 people found this helpful