Top positive review
33 people found this helpful
IT AIN'T OUR MOM'S PYREX, BUT IS STILL WORTH THE BUY
on July 15, 2013
I am an avid reviewer, and I usually read the bad reviews first. I purchased this to supplement by red pyrex set, and I have the 11-cup rectangular baker as well. First and foremost, the "European", version is our MOM'S corning type. So it can handle a HOT TO COLD surface. THESE WILL NOT. you must set this: if, coming from oven, or even Microwave, on a cloth trivet, that is dry. PERIOD. or it will CRACK. Also UNLIKE our old ones, you can not DEFROST, under hot water. Or else, internal hairline cracks. These are great for baking in a pre-heated oven, and as neat and inexpensive serving bowls. I purchased these to use as a breading kit. Since, the glass, cleans better than any plastic. Also great for cold salads, and fruits for picnics. SO ALL IS NOT LOST. Pyrex, still beats plastic- any day.
Just keep in mind, these are not like the 50-90's glassware. These are a cheaper, more tempermental version. But still a great value. Considering stainless, nonstick or melamine,- and dare i say plastic. -eeeeeeew.
What's important: They have the "cleaning" advantages of glass, that we love.
THINGS YOU CAN NOT DO WITH THE NEW FORMULA:
1. Go from OVEN TO FREEZER
2. DEFROST UNDER HOT WATER
3. FREEZER TO OVEN, WITHOUT A 20 MINUTE COUNTER THAW
4. DROP A FEW TIMES, AND EXPECT IT NOT TO SHATTER
5. PLACE ON A COUNTER THAT HAS COLD WATER, or any water on it
6. Use to cook in Microwave for over 60 minutes, IT WILL EXPLODE in some conditions.
THINGS YOU CAN DO WITH THE NEW FORMULA"
1. bake in pre-heated oven
2. use as a serving dish for cold salads
3. MICROWAVE for a full hour
4. use in DISHWASHER ( top rack)
5. CLEAN with simple soap and water solution to a sparking shine
6. transport items with lids, fitting secure, but use a casserole strap or case for the car
7. USE IN A CONVECTION OVEN, from fridge ( NOT THE FREEZER)
8. Make a full family style meal in largest pan, and sides in the two round bowls
9. Marinate veggies and meat in fridge, and slide right in the oven
10.Present to table, with trivet. from microwave or oven
So as you see, the "CAN-DO'S" outweigh, all of the limitations of the new formula.