Truck Reviews Beauty Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on August 26, 2014
The book provided examples for some of the numerous Python modules. It provided information and examples for modules not included in the other Python reference books in my library. I found the book useful and it met my expectations. I would recommend the book to other programmers. May not be suitable for a beginner, unless they have experience with other programming languages, because the author does not attempt to present the material in a manner suitable for beginners.
5 people found this helpful
on June 15, 2011
I had pre-ordered this book, as the author's website and blogs have always been excellent in their ability to give concise examples for the usage of Python's extensive standard library. I have now had the book for a few days and I am very pleased with it.

I sometimes wonder when I will buy my last physical book, as digital versions are becoming standard. This book, however, is a great example of some of the great computer books that lived most of their lives right next to my computer: a well-organized reference manual with a great index and table of contents (you can view these on the Amazon page for this title).

I teach Python in my high school Computer Science classes, and have always loved the fact that I can write Python code quickly and successfully for so many tasks that come up when teaching. Learning Python is one thing--being able to utilize the standard library in "Pythonic" ways is another skill entirely. The core language is perfect for introducing students to real programming--the instructor can choose to introduce many of the functional programming aspects of Python after students have become comfortable with the traditional imperative approach (gradually leading to an understanding of abstraction in a natural way). But it won't be long and students will start discovering just how easy it is to utilize the standard library for many of the tasks that are coded from scratch in books that merely use Python to teach the fundamentals of Computer Science and Programming. This book is an excellent reference to have for those students that want to use Python for tasks outside of the usual core language programming challenges that they are learning in class. I have students who have used Python for tasks that I had simply never though of--like my student that wrote a forum bot to alert him via email whenever new posts on our phpBB forum appeared. Other students have created chat rooms and file servers with amazing efficiency using Python.

I highly recommend this book for anyone that 1) wants to learn how to utilize the "batteries included" in Python, 2) need a handy guide for working outside the core language. As an educator, I love how easy it is to simply pick up this book, open to a random spot, and quickly get ideas for examples to use in class that will help students see the amazing potential Python has. Also, although the standard library has excellent documentation, the vast majority of students simply want to see examples and then try altering them for their own purposes. This book provides those examples that are simply not collected anywhere else in such an organized and accessible format.
36 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on July 20, 2013
After buying about a dozen books on Python, this is by far the best book I've layed eyes on. It's a toolbox full of useful code that you can start to use right now. Can't ask for more than that.
3 people found this helpful
on August 1, 2012
Mr. Hellmann presents the Python Standard Library in a way it teaches you by doing, which to most, is the best way to learn programming.

Lets face it, the standards docs can be difficult to comprehend or follow. This book explains the standard library in a way that is simpler than the standard docs.
The chapters are concise and full of examples. There is non piece of code that is written where he doesn't explain how it works.

Over all it is a great book to have if you're an intermediate(and up) python developer.
3 people found this helpful
on March 14, 2016
A good reference and summary of the python standard library. Explains some complicated units clearly and succinctly.
on November 17, 2015
Nice product.
on April 30, 2016
Good book but bad printing quality. Some parts are barely readable.
on April 23, 2013
I have referenced his code on his web site many times. I wanted this book so that I had his web site code in a indexed format.
on October 18, 2015
Perfect reference book for Python! Great for when you need to quickly reference something that's slipped your mind. Examples in the book are really well done.
on July 29, 2014
Informative, to the point. Just how I like my examples in books.