Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Size: 6 in. (Duct)|Change

Showing 1-10 of 48 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 51 reviews
on September 13, 2013
This unit is so quiet that you can barely hear it. Because we did not want to redo the wiring between the unit and the switch, one flick of the switch sets it to automatic or two flicks manually turn it on.

The unit can only be attached to studs on one side, which is not the side that the unit I was replacing was attached on, so we ended up opening a pretty large hole in the ceiling and then patching it. If you are doing a remodel, it's going to just be easier to do this regardless of where you're attaching it, unless you can easily get at it from above.

I used this unit to replace what I believe was an original exhaust fan to my condo built in 1972, which was much smaller and not nearly enough CFMs.

The sensor to turn the unit on automatically is adjustable and may require fiddling over time. The face plate is very easy to pop down and back to do this.

Be careful of the flapper in the exhaust outlet. It falls out easily, and getting it back in is tricky. I broke one of the prongs that held it in place. However, I sent Broan a message through their website and they quickly sent me a new exhaust piece and flapper free of charge.

Because I live in a condo and had to attach to existing exhaust ducts, I found a Broan duct reducer to go from the 6" piece on the unit to the 4" ducts in the condo.
on November 10, 2015
the fan itself is very good -- one of the only ones i was able to find that would allow the following wiring combination:

1. automatic humidity control with user-controllable humidity percentage (from 50 to 80% RH) and user-controllable delay-off (5-60 minutes; you don't want the humidity setting to be set so low that it constantly kicks on, but you do want all the excess humidity to be exhausted after a shower, so you set the humidity setting higher and then need the fan to run for X minutes after the humidity comes back down to the trigger setting, X being a factor of the size of your bathroom).

2. odor control on a self-shut-off timer switch.

some suggestions, just in case they are helpful:
1. this is designed as a new-construction fan, but you can easily and successfully mount it in an existing bathroom without the need to do any plaster work if you have access from above. you do need to slightly modify how it is mounted (cut the hole to be the size of the box, not accounting for the tabs/lip on the sides, then simply position the fan over the hole from above and secure to the studs, rather than having the lip go below the drywall as instructed in the instructions.

2. the box has quite a few extra holes and the seams are not air-tight, to prevent moisture from escaping into your attic (and cold air from coming in through your fan) tape all the seams and tape over all the holes. remember that "duct" tape (commonly called duck tape) should never be used in this situation, it'll fall apart. buy foil a/c handler tape, it's cheap and it'll last forever. Also tape all the exhaust piping connections and tape around the bottom of the fan, making sure it's connection with the ceiling is also air-tight.

3. this is a 6" exhaust fan, so it needs a 6" exhaust line. if your house (like mine) can't handle a 6" exhaust line, you'll need a reducer, available for next to nothing at your local "big orange" store. i don't think that the added back-pressure will cause the motor to die any sooner (not enough back-pressure being added), but ask me in a year if I still feel this way. :)

4. the fan is barely audible even with the 6" x 4" reducer, and can't be heard over running water. so, if you are looking for this to provide a privacy hum when you are letting the beans out... it won't.

5. 110CFM works perfectly to clear about a 10'x8' bathroom automatically -- kicks on almost immediately after shower starts, no steam build-up during the shower, when you open the shower door the mirror does fog up, but is mostly clear by the time you are dry. and i indulge with steamy showers. :)

this review would have far fewer stars if amazon's return policies were not awesome. needed 2 fans. first 2 ordered had to go back, one didn't work at all, the other one's humidity sensing module didn't work, and the instructions with the unit as well as the instructions online don't include any troubleshooting (for example, they state that there is a status light, but do not tell you what color it's supposed to be, or what it means when it blinks or doesn't blink, stays on or doesn't; kind of dumb, actually, and costs these guys a star). amazon took the defective ones back without issue (as always) and immediately sent replacements, so kudos in that department.
on November 8, 2014
Product is good. Instructions are great. Its just I had those nasty arguments with Broan Tech support, because installation I was after is similar to the attic fan (i.e does not require any inline switch). So, anyhow, I figured it out, works just like attic fan, fully in auto mode. Installed on/off switch in the attic just for the maintenance purposes, so don't have to pull the circuit breaker every time.
on April 7, 2013
I had two big box stores price this fan for me and they wanted double what I got it on Amazon for.

I have installed several of these in clients bathrooms and they all love them. The humidity sensor is great and works really well.

Easy to install. Fits b/t 16oc framing and has brackets to extend to 24 oc framing.

so quiet you almost don't know it's on.

Definitely worth the money to use one of these instead of a cheap one from a big box store.
on January 28, 2010
I bought cheaper fans before and decided recently to buy this expensive one, but quiet and lots of CFM fan. The installation went very well, it wakes up automatically, which will be very useful in the kid's bathroom. And I have to say it is very quiet. I am really impressed. Quality seemed also much better. Even after long and hot shower not even single drp of water or fog on mirror. I would love to replace other fans now. I am glad I bought it. Money well spent. And the externel vendor selling it on Amazon (Northside Service Company) was great. There was one piece broken a little. They shipped replacement part quickly and no questions asked. Highly recommended.
on June 4, 2015
I had a need for a fan that would automatically turn on as the house was wired for the fan to run continuous and this fan did the trick. Its super quite and the installation was easy as I already had an existing Broan fan so I simply swapped it into the existing housing. The humidity setting and fan timer are easy to set and the fan cover looks great!
on January 18, 2015
HAD A BATHROOM THAT WOULD ALWAYS GET MOLD REAL BAD. CALLED BROAN, (EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE BEFORE AND AFTER THE SALE. WAS TOLD TO CUT ONE HALF INCH OF THE BOTTOM OF THE DOOR. FRIENDS PUT THIS IN FOR ME, INSTRUCTIONS WERE PERFECT. YOU CAN WIRE IT FOR WHEN YOU FLICK THE WALL SWITCH, OR AUTO WHEN THE HUMIDITY LEVEL INCREASES. YOU CAN BARELY HEAR IT, BUT SITTING ON THE THRONE, YOU CAN FEEL THE AIR BEING SUCKED UNDER THE DOOR AND UP TO THE FAN. BOUGHT METAL DUCT, AND BROANS VENT. PERFECT FAN..
on October 3, 2011
I had been bothered by my rental house's the bathrooms moisture issues, there were black/green spots in the celling, renters don't care to turn on the fan when they take showers, even they turn on the fan, it's not strong enough to suck the moisture out, plus the noise, so I did lots of reserch and found this wonderful piece, installed it couple of weeks ago, and it works wonderful, absolutely no moisture anymore, and hardly to hear it, love it, purchased another one and now I can sit back relax...

couple of things to remind:
1) check your existing fan hose/vent, make sure they are really vented outside the house, not vent into attic(like mine, we had worked a solution to vent it out)
2) check your hose/vent to see if it's 4'' or 6'' fitting, this piece is 6'';

money well spent, I have recommended it to all my friends....

cheers!
on May 16, 2012
I'm 95% happy with this purchase. The 5% is related to humidity-sensing. We live in Houston TX and high humidity is a norm. When first installed the humidity-sensing adjustments were set at a most sensitive point, and the fan was on all the time. I have since adjusted it to a less sensitive setting, and we are at the 'wait and see what happens' point. It's complicated by the unusually quiet nature of the fan, but it's not on all the time. Does it come on when it's suppose to? Time will tell.
on March 8, 2017