Gain an in-depth understanding of how to build applications for Business Intelligence using QlikView
- Learn to build applications for Business Intelligence while following a practical case - HighCloud Airlines. Each chapter develops parts of the application and it evolves throughout the book along with your own QlikView skills.
- Code bundle for each chapter can be accessed on your local machine without having to purchase a QlikView license.
- Hands-on approach allows you to build a QlikView application that integrates real data from several different sources and presents it in dashboards, analyses and reports.
Business Intelligence technologies are a must-have in every business to make informed decisions and keep up-to speed with the ever-evolving markets. QlikView's disruptive technology makes it a key player and leader in the industry; with its flexibility and powerful analytics environment, building QlikView apps can be mastered by both business users as well as developers.
This book will help you learn QlikView Development from a basic to a practitioner level using a step-by-step approach in a practical environment, and apply proven best practices on each topic.
Throughout the book, we will build a QlikView app based on real data about Airline Operations that will help 'HighCloud Airlines' make informed business decisions and analysis-guided strategies. HighCloud Airlines executives are evaluating whether entering the US market is a good strategy and, if so, which line of business should they focus their investments on; they need QlikView to make the best decision.
The application will evolve chapter by chapter, along with your skills, going from a simple proof of concept to creating a Data Model, adding a custom style, building a Dashboard and handling and manipulating the source data via script. We will meet the 'HighCloud Airlines' requirement by using many different data visualization objects and time-saving techniques.
The whole application uses real data taken from the Bureau of Transportation's statistics of the US and encompasses both domestic and international airline operations. With three years worth of data, you will help HighCloud Airlines discover where people travel the most, which are the carriers with the greatest market share, what is the average load factor per airline, which aircraft is the most used to perform flights, which are the busiest airports, and a whole universe of new insights.
What you will learn
- Learn the techniques and best practices to transform data in QlikView via script
- Load data from disparate sources to build an associative Data Model
- Build robust data models and overcoming common modeling challenges
- Design data visualization objects to present performance measures with charts and tables
- Learn to use dimensions and expressions in QlikView objects
- Utilise QlikView's built-in aggregation functions to achieve complex calculations
- Create Point In Time reporting and achieving complex calculations using Set Analysis
- Design a consistent and interactive user interface
- Ensure your QlikView applications and data are protected
- Construct a data architecture that supports scalable QlikView deployments
- Learn time-saving techniques for making your QlikView development more efficient
Table of Contents
- Meet QlikView
- Seeing is Believing
- Data Sources
- Data Modeling
- Styling Up
- Building Dashboards
- Data Modeling Best Practices
- Basic Data Transformation
- Advanced Expressions
- Set Analysis and Point In Time Reporting
- Advanced Data Transformation
- More on Visual Design and User Experience