Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Quest For Love
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Shop Now STEM

on January 8, 2011
I am happy that Amazon.com has decided to release this film on DVD, despite it being little known and underestimated.

It is a love story with a remarkable sci-fi twist to it. It is an old British movie ( 1971) made by that,then well known Producer-Director combination of Betty Box and Ralph Thomas. With no special effects, stunts or violence, it is a 'thinking persons' film and is very imaginative and effective.

Without divulging too much of the story, it deals with a Nuclear Physicist transported to a parallel universe following an uncontrolled experiment with a Particle Accelerator. Both universes are based in London in 1971, but in the parallel universe he is a playwright.

This other London in 1971 had not experienced World War II. The layout of the city is the same but technological and medical advances seem to be lagging slightly behind the London in the our Universe. Could it be a hint that the war stimulated faster development after the initial destruction?

The new social relationships and how he tries to adapt to the new setting is fascinating, with good direction, screen play, and very good acting by Joan Collins, Tom Bell, Denholm Elliot and host of minor actors who traditionally made a success of these old British films.

This DVD will rate 5 stars very deservedly.

RLK
55 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 5, 2011
I had last seen this film in, I believe , 1971 when it first came out! A wonderful romantic and beautifully acted film, very touchingly filmed. I have wanted to see this film again for 40 years! I finally got to show it to my wife, who enjoyed it as well! This film is one in a small handful of romantic sci-fi films, like "Somewhere in Time", and "Portrait of Jennie". A very worthwhile film indeed! ( Now if someone will release "What's So Bad About Feeling Good?" on DVD my romantic sci-fi collection will be very happy)!
on October 22, 2011
Thanks to Scorpion for releasing this DVD. I had an Australian DVD of this film, but the color was even more washed out than this print. I think, based on a print I saw on TV in the late 70's, that this is the best this film is ever going to look. Joan Collins gives one of her best performances. This is a love story, and a sweet one at that. A simple film really, that deserves a wider audience that it will receive when categorized as "science fiction". The film features a hauntingly beautiful musical theme, which has never been made available on CD. If anyone knows of an MP3 version, please advise. It is just wonderful, as is this movie.
on December 7, 2012
I've loved this movie ever since I saw it on TV in the early '80's. I found the short story in the library, but the movie was better. It's an unusual sci-fi time travel romance. As an ex-Pan Am stewardess, I related to the modern day portion of the story. I found several bootleg copies on the internet, but I never thought it would be produced on DVD since I felt the market would be limited to the few people who know the movie. It's definitely a sleeper! I also loved the soundtrack, which I would buy if it was also produced on a CD. Buy the movie! If you're a romantic, you won't be disappointed.
on May 6, 2011
Very good scifi film performed by Joan Collins.
I was looking for this film (at last on CD) since several years ago.
The story is a mix of science, fiction and love.
on November 22, 2014
Yes, I give Quest for Love five stars. But before you rush to buy, rent, download or steal a copy accept it's five stars for an English movie from 1971 that may not suit modern tastes.

Even as a child I loved science fiction and I saw this when I was still quite young. It's based on a short story by John Wyndham (author of Day of the Triffids). Parallel universes with alternate histories aren't the usual basis for a light romantic drama, but here they are the drama that leads our hero into the arms of the woman he never knew he loved.

The romantic element is the driving thrust of this movie, although there are some interesting 'what if' questions that go unanswered with lots of opportunity to discuss after you've seen the film. Leading man Tom Bell plays his part as physicist turn author/playwright with a light touch and Joan Collins turns in a performance that may surprise you with it's subtlety.
on February 16, 2013
I saw this movie 39 years ago and have wanted to see it again ever since. I always missed it when it was on TV and finally I discovered I could search for it on the internet - and there it was!! I want to know where I can find the beautiful music that Joan Collins is playing on the piano before she dies. If you know it, please comment.'
on September 13, 2013
Nothing too much to say. It was an OK movie...not great. It started out interesting for me because I am always intrigued by "time-travel" stories. But halfway into the movie, I was waiting for it to be over. I think the story line falls flat after the first half hour or so. I found myself fast-forwarding through to see what the outcome would finally be.

Joan Collins did turn in an excellent performance.
on December 25, 2012
If you are a true Sci Fi fan, enjoy the old parallel universe story, this is the movie for you. It stars Joan Collins-how much better can it get. A true classic that is rarely seen on TV or Cable.
on April 2, 2014
long been one of my favorite movies. not a great movie by some standards but enjoyable to watch and I like alternate worlds.