- Hardcover: 108 pages
- Publisher: de.Mo Design Limited; 1 edition (January 30, 2015)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0982590830
- ISBN-13: 978-0982590836
- Product Dimensions: 7.8 x 0.8 x 10.1 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.5 pounds
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #6,616,446 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Quest For Identity Hardcover – January 30, 2015
|New from||Used from|
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
About the Author
In 2001, his reportage won Ian Parry The Sunday Times Magazine scholarship”. Same year he also won the Second prize at prestigious World Press Photo” contest, while a year later his photo essays won both the First and the second Prize at prestigious photojournalism contest World Press Photo”. In 2001 he also received Joop Swart Masterclass” grant. Following year he won Kodak annual award for young reporters” at Visa pour l'image festival and the Special Mention by the HSBC foundation for photography”. In 2003 Photo District News included him among 30 emerging world photographers and he won Grand Prix Discovery of the Year at Rencontres du photographie Arles. In 2005, his work won Giacomelli Memorial Fund award” and, in 2006, he was nominated for UNICEF' Photographer of the Year. In 2007 he received Getty images grant for editorial photography for his project Troubled Islam, same year he was awarded at Photo District News annual contest. Gafic's works are also included in American Photography Annual in 2007. Same year he was finalist for Hasselblad Masters award.
In 2010 his project Quest for Identity won award in personal category at Photo District News annual contest.
Ziyah Gafic exhibited at many relevant exhibitions and photo festivals: Visa pour l'image” Perpignan, Rencontres du photograhie” Arles, Fovea Editions” New York, Oude Kerk” Rotterdam, Tom Blau gallery” London, Geneva.
He regularly contributes to some of the worlds leading publications such as Amica, La repubblica, Time, The Telegraph Magazine, Tank, L'Espresso, Newsweek, Le Monde As photographer he covered events in over forty countries. His photo essay on the aftermath of Bosnian war was published in the book Tales from Globalizing World by Thames & Hudson and he’s author of the book Muslims of New York” while selection of his photographs are included in overviews of contemporary photography: Photography as Contemporary Art by Thames & Hudson and The way people live by Gabriel Bauret.
His main topics are societies in transition; from Bosnia to Rwanda, from Chechnya to Iraq.
Zijah Gafic is based in Sarajevo and is member of photo agency VII Network”
Born in Sarajevo in 1980.
Graduated at Sarajevo University, department of World Literature
In 2001 he was awarded Ian Parry-The Sunday Times Magazine award
In 2001 he won 2nd award on most prestigious photojournalism contest World Press Photo contest.
In 2001 he received prestigious World Press Photo Joop Swart Masterclass.
In 2002 his photographs won 1st and 2nd prize on World Press Photo contest.
In 2002 year his work was exhibited at Visa pour l’Image festival in Perpignan and was awarded with Kodak award for young reporters.
In 2003 he was selected as one of the 30 emerging photographers by Photo District News magazine
In 2003 he received special mention award by HSBC foundation.
In 2003 he was also awarded with annual prize of City of Prague.
In 2003 he received Grand Prix Discovery of the Year in Arles Meetings of Photography.
In 2005 his work on Chechnya won Giacomelli memorial fund.
In 2006 he was nominated for UNICEF photographer of the year.
In 2007 he won Getty Images Grant for Editorial Photography.
In 2007 his story on Afghanistan won Photo District News annual award
In 2007 his work was selected for American Photography annual
In 2008 he received grant from US State Department for his project Muslims of New York”
In 2010 he received grant from US State Department for his project Quest For Identity”
In 2010 his project Quest For Identity” won award at Photo District News annual contest
Ziyah Gafic is represented by photo agency VII NETWORK
He regularly contributes to magazines and newspapers such as: Liberation, Le Monde 2, La Reppublica, Photo, Telegraph Magazine, The New York Times Magazine, Tank, L’Espresso, Newsweek, The Times Magazine, Amica, TIME.
His work has been exhibited in:
- Visa pour l'image” Perpignan, 2002 ( Aftermath”, Bosnia)
- Rencontres du photograhie” Arles, 2003 (Aftermath”, Bosnia
- Fovea Editions” New York, 2008 (Aftermath”, Bosnia)
- Oude Kerk” Rotterdam, 2006 (Troubled Islam”)
- Tom Blau gallery” London, 2001 (The Last Bosnian Villages”)
- Tales from globalizing world” group show:
- Beijing, China | Today Art Museum | 04.20.2007l 05.06.2007
- New York, USA | UN Head Quarter, Visitors Lobby | 07.15.2006 9.7.2006
- Rome, Italy | Stazione Termini, Mezzanino Giallo | 05.10.2006 06.11.2006
- Strassbourg, France | Salle de la Bourse | 05.04.2006 05.31.2006
- Cairo, Egypt | Hanager Cultural Center of the Opera House Cairo | 03.18.2006 04.10.2006
- Brussels, Belgium | 02.17.2006 04.24.2006
- Brussels, Belgium | EU-Parlament, Espace Yehudi Menuhin | 01.30.2006 02.10.2006
- Vienna, Austria | UNO / Rotunda | 11.16.2005 12.02.2005
- Cracow, Poland | Gallery Bunkier Sztuki | 09.28.2005 10.19.2005
- Dhaka, Bangladesh | Gallery Drik | 10.23.2005 11.30.2005
|5 star (0%)|
|4 star (0%)|
|3 star (0%)|
|2 star (0%)|
|1 star (0%)|