Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch $5 Digital Albums Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Question about Kindle memory management with SD cards

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 10, 2007, 4:08:02 AM PST
Blackbeard says:
If I add an SD card, how does the Kindle manage this with the existing memory? Is it "merged" with the existing memory so that when I plug in the USB cable it all appears as one storage area, or are they managed as separate storage? If they are separate storage, can I see both via the USB cable or is only the SD card visible and the internal storage cannot be accessed in this way when the SD card is plugged in?

Also, I didn't see any mention in the manual- Is there a limit to the size of the SD card that the Kindle will support?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2007, 5:45:29 AM PST
Sean M. says:
I've only seen screenshots and vids (still waiting for mine), but I know there's a screen where you can manage your storage, and the SD card and onboard memory are two separate things. Not sure about how it shows up on your computer as an external drive, though.

Amazon says up to 4GB, I think, but then some people have said they've tried SDHC cards and they work. I probably wouldn't buy one to test it, but if you've already got one it wouldn't hurt to try.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2007, 6:25:18 AM PST
Blackbeard says:
Another question that comes to mind: If I have a SD card inserted, can wireless downloads go to that, or are wireless downloads limited to the internal memory?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2007, 8:22:15 AM PST
McBean says:
The SD card and the Kindle's memory are separate. When you look at in on your computer (I have a Mac), the contents of each are separate, including the separate folders in each. That way, you can put music and books, etc., in the right folders. On the Kindle, they're separate, too. The list of your assets shows up as being either on the Kindle, the SD card or, if you haven't transferred yet, on https://amazon.com. I have a 2GB card and with the Kindle memory, I'll have more books on there than I'll ever need, particularly since you can save everything on other cards as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2007, 8:46:18 AM PST
R. Blinne says:
Do books and newspapers on the SD card show up on the home page or do you have to copy them to the Kindle memory to read them?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2007, 4:22:22 PM PST
Blackbeard says:
Here's the scoop from Kindle support: 4GB is the maximum SD card they tested. When the internal memory is full, it will automatically add new files to the SD card.
Remaining question: When I have a SD card plugged in, can I see both the internal memory AND the SD card via the USB cable?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2007, 5:01:41 PM PST
M. Zheng says:
Books, newspapers, audible files appear on the Home screen whether in Kindle memory or SD card. From the home screen you can't tell where they located, you can only tell that via the Content Manger.

When you plug in the USB cable, both Kindle memory and the SD card appear as (separate) storage areas you can access and manage on your PC.

Several people (including myself) have successfully used 8GB SD cards in the Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2008, 11:23:51 AM PDT
There is a wide pricing range for 8 GB SD cards. Is there that much difference in quality?

Do you think the $30.00 cards would be ok for the Kindle?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2008, 11:34:36 AM PDT
Lucy P says:
I've always used SanDisk SD cards in my digital cameras and have never had a bit of problem with them. Amazon sells an Ultra II SanDisk 4gig SD card for around $34 and I use this one in my K. One bit of info: I had to first format it in my camera for the K to recognize it. But that wasn't necessry with another exact same card.

To find it you have to actually search to see all SanDisk SD cards because for some reason it doesn't show up easily. Some say the faster Ultra II is overkill for the K, but I ordered it anyway since I can still use it in my camera if necessary. I understand some have had problems with Kingston cards, but I've had no experience with them.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2008, 5:02:37 PM PDT
Ramona says:
Your Kindle will show it as two seperate Memory Cards. when you plug it in via the usb. You will only see it on your computer though. Once you attach the USB, the Kindle will go into a download mode and not respond for viewing. The Kindle will support 4GB SD card. I have a 2GB loaded. I see no difference in the reading and response if the book is loaded to the SD card or the Kindle Memory. You will be able to store and move books back and forth. To actually view the book on the kindle, weather on the kindle itself or the SD card, it will have to placed within the documents folder. Kindle will automatically have several folders loaded on both. When I first downloaded a book to the SD card I did not know where it was since I could not see it on the Kindle. Figured out pretty quickly that only books that are dragged and dropped into the documents folder will be viewed. Mobipocket will automatically download it to ebook folder. I have had my kindle since Nov. and I love it. Manybook.net can be accessed right from the kindle via the basic web mode, just make a book mark, and will download via the whispernet just like from the amazon site.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2008, 8:43:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 10, 2008, 9:25:58 PM PDT
Akorn says:
I am glad the SD cards are under consideration. I want to buy 2 or 3 in order to separate books from magazines from music/books, etc. There are so many new types of SD cards at varying memories and costs. I am confused and not sure which to order. I am leaning toward the Sandisk 2G cards but even then there are different types. How do you know which one to get? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2008, 8:47:18 PM PDT
It was suggested to stay with what you know, brands you know.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2008, 10:00:44 PM PDT
S. Hayes says:
The SDHC cards (4GB and up) come in various speeds - and the faster ones are more expensive. You DON'T need a fast card for the Kindle. They are primarily made for camera and video and are a waste of money if you're only going to be using the card in the Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2008, 8:08:13 AM PDT
Readnswim says:
I wouldn't waste money or energy on several different SD cards. I have fourteen pages of books and magazines and it has not made a dent in my 4GB card. It would take a lot of books, etc. before you start filling anything up. I keep everything except the newspapers and blogs on the SD card by manually transferring them when I plug the Kindle in by USB.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2008, 1:09:25 PM PDT
You __may__ find it better to have several low capacity SD cards, rather than one big one. A major problem with the Kindle is that there is no "subfolder" concept--all the books show up on the Home screen. If you put different types of books on different SD cards, you might fight it easier to find what you want.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2008, 2:54:27 PM PDT
StarLight says:
ReadnSwim and all,
Which 4GB Memory Stick is found to be best suited for the K? Which one did Amazon test and recommend?
I am looking to make a decision what to get. Thanks to all for your input.
Which if any of the below is more widely used by K owner at this time?

Sandisk 4GB MicroSDHC Memory Card with SD Adapter (BULK Packaging)
Sandisk 4GB Secure Digital SD HC Memory Card (SDSDB-4096, BULK, No Reader)
SanDisk SDCFX3-4096-901 4 GB Extreme III CompactFlash Card (Retail Package)
SanDisk SDCFH-004G-A11 4GB/15MB Ultra II CF Card ( US Retail Package )
SanDisk 4 GB Ultra II Memory Stick PRO Duo (SDMSPDH-4096-901, Retail Package)
SanDisk SDMSPD-4096-A11 4 GB Memory Stick Pro Duo (Retail Package)
Sandisk Ultra II SDHC 4GB SD Memory Card (SDSDH-4096, BULK Static Pack, No Reader)
Sandisk 4GB MicroSDHC (MicroSD High Capacity) Memory Card (SDSDQ-4096-E11M, Retail Package)
Sandisk 4GB M2 Memory Stick Micro (SDMSM2-4096, Bulk Package)
SanDisk SDMSM2-4096-A11M 4GB Memory Stick Micro (M2)
SanDisk Ultra II SDHC 4GB w/MicroMate USB 2.0 Bundle ( SDSDRH-4096-901, US Retail Package )
PNY 4GB MicroSDHC Class 4 Flash Memory Card P-SDU4GB4-FS
PNY Optima 4GB 2-Pack Secure Digital Class 4 Flash Memory Card P-SDHC4G4X2-MF

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2008, 3:30:16 PM PDT
Readnswim says:
SanDisk Ultra II SDHC 4GB w/MicroMate USB 2.0 Bundle ( SDSDRH-4096-901, US Retail Package ) I have this one which I purchased at Costco, but a less expensive one is certainly fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2008, 6:24:43 AM PDT
Berit says:
I know a bit about memory cards from having spent time selling them at retail. SanDisk's Ultra II may, in fact, be a bit of overkill for the kindle, as stated above. As far as brands, Kingston is actually quite good. There is one device I own which is universally recognized to run worlds better with Kingston than with SanDisk. I'd say you're safe as long as it's not "Chinese No-Brand".

I recommend starting out with 2 (if you want to organize) 1 Gig or smaller cards. I know we have a habit of wanting huge amounts of memory for music players and cameras, but it's really an overkill on the Kindle. I'm doing great with the 1 Gig cards I recently bought from Amazon for $7.49USD! And those were micro!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2008, 8:31:10 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 29, 2014, 2:19:22 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Dec 10, 2007
Latest post:  Apr 16, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers