Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports toystl17_gno
asked by MAB on April 23, 2006
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 11-20 of 58 answers
A
In response to: "And...no 7 year old is going to proof read their mother's work! C'mon!"
If they are reading well by 3 or 4 they will be! Just because that's not your experience doesn't mean it isn't a true experience. I wasn't reading by 3, but within 3 years of starting to read, I was so bored in school that I begged for extra credit, started grading papers for my teachers, and teaching the younger students in school how to read...

and really that's my response to everyone here - don't limit the truth of someone else's life by your experiences!
M. Dittman answered on May 9, 2010
Comment | 14 of 14 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
When you go to mass at midnight on Christmas Eve, it is then Christmas Day. At midnight, the next day starts. And how does not being able to buy liquor on Christmas make you doubt the validity of the book?
S. Cuarto answered on October 15, 2007
Comment | 16 of 23 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I, too, grew up in Arizona, so I wondered if she meant "Phoenix College" which is at 12th Avenue and Thomas Rd, not too far from North Third Street. This is from her early childhood, so I figured the memories were more important than the actual names. The Civic Center is on 3rd Street, so I think she had her facts straight, as she remembered them at that age.

I also thought the book fascinating, as it brought back memories of growing up in Arizona, with a free-thinking, artist father, who fortunately did not drink and/or move us to West Virginia!
Amazon Customer answered on June 1, 2009
Comment | 5 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I live in SC. Cannot buy liquor after midnight on Saturday. Bars close. Town locks up. Sunday, no liquor no where. Not even in a restaurant. Mother's Day brunch - no champagne. A bunch of wet noodles and closet drinkers.
happyscshopper answered on July 2, 2008
Comment | 13 of 19 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
For those questioning how accurate/detailed a three-year-old's memory is, keep in mind what exists as just a flash of memory in your mind (cooking hot dogs, catching on fire; nurse giving gum, mom getting mad about it), fleshed out into narrative with all the accompanying descriptive detail takes up several pages. Try breaking down your earliest memory (particularly if it's traumatic) into exposition, with all the detail you can remember and you'll likely be surprised about how much there is.
VirginiaDare answered on December 24, 2009
Comment | 7 of 8 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Walls is a journalist by trade, which means that there is more than a little "artistic license" in her book. No three-year-old has that sophisticated a grammar. No four-year-old can be a crack shot with a revolver. (Pick one up, and see how much it weighs.) While I don't doubt that Walls had a difficult childhood, there is no doubt in my mind that her account was "fudged." Perhaps her parents told her these things happened. If so, Walls needs to take into account that her parents are not the most reliable of sources.
e. verrillo answered on June 18, 2009
Comment | 18 of 28 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
D-O answered on December 30, 2009
Comment | 7 of 9 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Ellen, as a litigator who takes a lot of depositions and who tries three or four cases a year, I have to agree that witnesses never remember things the same way, which is the one consistent fact about witnesses and a reason that having more witnesses rather than fewer often increases the amount of confusion rather than decreases it.

It is one of the frustrating things about real life.
S. Marsh answered on April 26, 2010
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Amazon Atlantic City Bibliography answered on May 10, 2009
Comment | 12 of 19 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
EP answered on November 26, 2009
Comment | 5 of 7 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   Next ›

See all questions about this product