Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Def Leppard All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon startrek startrek startrek  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

on December 28, 2009
I was reluctant about this book, and frankly about Quicken 2010 itself.Quicken Premier 2010 I've been using MS Money for the past decade or so, but when MS decided not to support and make newer versions I decided a change was needed.
I've been using Quicken 2010 for over a month now and will tell you that I simply love this software. It is everthing they claim and so much more. I use it for my daily banking activities, my credit cards and my 401K tracking. Quicken makes it so easy to track each of them. If you want Quicken will download details from each of your accounts web sites, but you don't have to. For instance, I want to have total control over my everyday bank, but for the credit cards and the 401K I run updates about once a week to every 10 days. Because I use my debit card as most people would cash (I seldomly carry cash), I have a lot of transactions to report. This can get overwhelming if you're not used to it, but the book made it simple for me to get started. I knew how I wanted to approach my use of the software, and frankly other books about Quicken 2010 weren't quite available when I orded this. And I'm glad for it. This book has everything about the software in it. It has a no nonesense approach and tells you how to get the job done. You don't have to read it from cover to cover, just use it like you would a refrence manual- for that's what it is.
On a personal matter I wasn't sure if I wanted to have Quicken 2010 convert all my MS Money files over and even how to do it, or if it could. I made my choice after reading what this book has to say on the matter. So as not to convince you to do what I did, I won't tell you what my decision was. But I'm glad I did what I did.

If you're new to personal finance software or just need some insight into what it can do, I recommend this book. I bought it, and would do so again, even though I've been using personal finance software for well over 15 years. Just let me say that I've never had a late fee imposed upon me, have never missed a bill, and I know exactly how much I have at any given moment- to the cent, and so much more, all because of personal finance software of which Quicken 2010 is a great product and this guide will increase your knowledge of just what you can accomplish with it.
22 comments| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 31, 2010
This book is well-written, easy to read and well-organized; it covers Quicken admirably (but don't expect it to be a finance primer). It details seemingly all of Quicken 2010's features - EXCEPT for Home & Business. I assumed that "The Official Guide" would cover ALL versions, but Caveat emptor....
If you have Quicken Premier, this book is perfect; it you have a less feature-packed version, this book will make you want to upgrade. If you have Home & Business, you're completely covered for the "Home" features, but left hanging for the "Business" features.
I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone wanting (needing!) a written guide to the nearly endless features in Quicken 2010, but if you're looking to explore Quicken's small business features, look elsewhere. Unfortunately, of the three Quicken 2010 books available via Amazon, only one, Quicken 2010 for Dummies, addresses business features. Who'da thunk?
0Comment| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 7, 2010
... but not a very insightful guide to using Quicken 2010.
There are no preview pages available for this book, so I bought it based on popularity and returned it after looking through a few chapters.

It provides about the same level of information that is available in the Quicken help file. In fact, unlike the book, the Quicken help file is searchable and handy when I am using Quicken. The content of the book is mainly screenshots of every dialog page in Quicken with a description of every button within those.

I imagine that this book has not changed much since the early versions when connecting to your banks on the Internets was a novel idea that people needed help getting familiar with. There is one part I noticed that explains how e-mail works something like going to the post office, but the post office is a computer (sorry, no page number because I don't have the book anymore).

In fairness, this book could help a basic computer user with installing and setting up account links; but, if you are reading an Amazon review, this book is already beneath your level.
on February 6, 2010
I was a Microsoft Money user for as long as I can remember but when Microsoft stopped updating it I switched to Quicken 2010 and decided I may as well buy this book to learn how to use the program.
I have to say that after reading the book and learning what I could do with Quicken 2010, I should have made the switch years ago.
As far as how the book is written, it offers real advice and practical examples for everyday users and even offers you advise on what you may or may not even have to or want to read depending on your situation and needs.
The Authors give great examples of their own personal uses and experiences with the programs and even walk you though setting up customized screens that for me at least have proven very helpful.
It really does help you get a handle on you financial situation and is so easy to use once you read about what you can do and how to do it that you find yourself wanting to read more and more about other things you can do with the program. In fact, once I started using Quicken 2010 with the help of this book, I found that I wanted to upgrade my original version of Quicken 2010 to Quicken Premier for the additional stock tools that version offers. When I did I was pleasantly suprised to learn that it was just a matter of obtaining a simple unlocking code for the version I had originally purchased for an additional fee and that I did not have to buy an entirely new version for full price.
I definitely think anyone will benefit from this book if you are or are planning to be a Quicken 2010 user
on December 17, 2011
Other reviewers have praised this book as being comprehensive. In my opinion, its 500 pages should have been reduced to 100. Yes, it's thorough - way TOO thorough. Every button, box, and menu item is described in excruciating detail.

DO I really need to be told that "Transaction Date is the date of the transaction"? This book is full many, many, MANY similar gems.

The author reminds me of the speaker, who, having created a respectable PowerPoint presentation, proceeds to read every slide to the audience. We don't need that! What we need is for the presenter to explain the significance of the information presented, and to add details and asides.

Yesterday was my most recent (and probably last) attempt to use this book. I looked in the index for how to direct contributions from my paycheck to the "Contribution" account that Quicken sometimes creates with 401k accounts. The index entry for "401k accounts, Paycheck Setup and" directed me to page 249. Page 249 had almost no information on the topic (huh?), but told me to read Chapter 7. Chapter 7 is 40 pages long! And perhaps I missed it, but as far as I could tell, the term "401k" does not appear on any of them.

However, I did learn that "It's a good idea to have a recent pay stub on hand when entering information because you'll want it to be as accurate as possible." OMG. Perhaps the book was written for morons.

I could go on and on, but you've got the picture now, and I don't want my review to resemble this unreadable book. I hesitated to rate it one star. Is it really that terrible? The book does contain some useful information, but it's hidden in huge piles of dreck. I've had it for more than a year, and despite several attempts, still haven't read it. That ought to tell you something.
on August 21, 2013
I BOUGHT THIS BOOK AS A REFERENCE SINCE QUICKEN DOES NOT SUPPLY BOOKS WITH THEIR PROGRAM DISKS ANY MORE. I HAVE USED IT VERY LITTLE BUT WHEN I NEEDED TO FIND SOMETHING IT WAS VERY INFORMATIVE INFORMATION AND IT ALLOWED ME TO CONTINUE WHAT I WAS TRYING TO DO WITHOUT
WASITING TIME TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT MYSELF WITHOUT THIS BOOK. THE PROGRAM WHICH HAS THE
HELP COMPONENT THERE IS GREAT ALSO BUT IT REFURS YOU TO OTHER PARTS FREQUENTLY WHICH IS A BOTHER FOR ME BUT IT IS ALL THERE IN THIS BOOK. I HAVE USED QUICKEN FOR AT LEAST 20 YEARS AND
I AM VERY SATISFIED WITH THE PR0GRAM AND WHAT I AM ABLE TO DO WITH IT.
on May 10, 2010
For those of you who are new to Quicken's Personal Finance software and who are using the Quicken Deluxe or Premier version, this is a very good reference source. Lots of screen snapshots to go along with explanations of the various available options. Also includes detailed information on converting data from Microsoft Money in one of the Appendixes.

You will have to search elsewhere though if you are looking for information about the extra features which come in the Home & Business or Rental Income versions as there is no mention of it here.

Quicken 2010 for Dummies devotes 2 of its chapters (Minding Your Business and Managing Rentals) to those topics.

Quicken 2010 For Dummies
on April 14, 2010
I went to the library and borrowed this book initially, so that I could get started. As I was going through the chapter, I was taking notes in the borrowed book!! The program did have helpful tips and guided me quickly though the set up, but the book gave some additional help for areas where the program fell short or didn't address.

So far, this is a very good program and I would say that if this is your first time using this, get the book. There are other books similar to this, but when I reviewed them, it almost seemed the exactly the same as the this book (same verbage, pictures, examples??? wassup with that?) Go with the official guide and take good notes!!

FYI; I did use Microsoft money in the past, which was probably more user friendly.
on August 12, 2010
I used Microsoft Money for many years and upgraded to each new addition. Quicken Deluxe 2010 was quite different for me and I had a hard time at first setting up my information and accounts. After several attempts and not liking the results, I purchased the official guide from Amazon. Answers to my particular problems weren't found in the guide. I finally deleted my prior attmpts and started over. This time things started to click and I was up and running the way I wanted to be. I like the program and the more used to it I get, I'm sure I will really be satisfied. I will use the official guide as I need it.
on February 27, 2010
I am quite disappointed.
I was a Microsoft Money user--this book did not help me. I know I can modify a register. My question would be how to get to the register to modify it. I can't easily tell you that. (part of the problem just may be that Quicken is not as user friendly as Money).
If I want to modify [something] and I'd like to know if it's on the account list, or the setup tab, or the peference icon --and it's just not easy to navigate. This book just didn't help in understanding quicken's organization.

It seems to have been written by someone going over the program. For example, if on the screen is a transaction windows. The book essentially says:
to add a new transaction click the "add" button (in a half a page); to delete a transaction, click the "delete" button (another half a page); to modify the transaction, click the "modify" button. If you modify a transaction, a register with 6 fields comes up (check #, date, description, amount, etc.). If you want to change the check number, click in the check number field and type in the new number. If you want to change the amount, click in the amount field and type the new number....
I am being a little harsh--because I'm very disappointed. True, the author occasionally does give little explanations of why you would want to do something.
And it might help if you're in the section doing things as she explains them.
But a read-through doesn't give you any great command of the program.