Industrial Deals HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

Quiet Mind: A Beginner's Guide to Meditation
Format: Paperback|Change

on June 18, 2011
I looked all over for a good book on meditation and I found this at my local library. Since then, I have given it as a gift to three different people and will continue to gift it. The introduction dispells many common misunderstandings about eastern meditation practices and sets the mood perfectly. Each of the six teachers gives a concise and illuminating explanation of the method and goals of their practice and the CD that is included is great for your first few times until you get the hang of it. Also, you don't have to be Buddhist to enjoy and practice these methods of meditation and you don't have to like all six practices! Just choose one or two that make sense to you! And the Yoga lesson at the end of the CD is perfect for getting you in the right frame of mind for a good 20 to 30 minute session.
Personally, I do a little yoga, set a timer for 20-25 minutes, and light some incense before my practice. I sit in my favorite position and open with a five minute Metta practice (explained in this book) then settle in to Vipassana (also in this book) until the timer goes off. This accomplishes three things for me. It expands my feelings of good will toward people in my life, helps me learn to be in and enjoy the present no matter what it is, and helps me really intimately know myself. Additionally, I get to experience moments of joy and clarity.
Highly recommended!!!
0Comment| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 6, 2013
I have been wanting to practice meditation for a long time. Didn't have much idea as how to start. Bought this book to get some enlightenment on the topic and it has served me well. First, I read all of the book and the introductions to each type of meditation. Then I listened and tried to follow each meditation (one different meditation each day). There were some that I didn't find so interesting when reading about them, but more compelling once I sat down and practiced them with the CD. The book is really a basic introduction to each type of meditation, however, it's value lays in the fact that it allows you to try several different types and find the one that suits you most (though I should confess that I am thorn in between three). If you are wondering where to start this book is perfect for you.
on November 24, 2015
If you're thinking about trying meditation but don't really know where to start, then this is a great place. My Type-A (always busy, always planning, always doing) husband read "Quiet Mind" a year ago during our beach vacation, and has now been successfully meditating ever since. He was originally "intimidated" about meditation, but after reading this book, he said, "I can do this!" Susan Piver compiled practices from six different practitioners to give the reader variations to try; ideas about what meditation is, and is not; ways to sit, or stand, or wash dishes,even; strict ways to practice, and more individual ways to practice. This book gives you a starting point. Everyone can meditate! And honestly, it isn't painful. =-)
(There's a CD included, but I've never felt the "need" for it...)
on August 19, 2013
several years ago i checked this book out from the library to help me through a difficult life situation and relax my mind. i have used it repeatedly since and had to finally purchase it because i use it every day now. many times at night i play the cd during sleep and find that i awake calm and relaxed.
on July 19, 2016
I was looking for a definite beginners book that didn't dumb down meditation but walked me through the process. This book/cd was perfect, easy to follow and helpful instructions. I would highly recommended this book to anyone looking to start meditating.
on May 26, 2014
Does not really lead one through many meditation sessions, is mostly informative on different types of meditation. Will try a different CD that guides me through meditations
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 1, 2012
I have been looking for a CD that starts me off slowly but completely. I like the small book to read, but each teacher had a nice commentary to listen to on the CD, to guide one through the different types of steps of beginning meditation. This is a wonderful starting place for anyone just beginning meditation. The book came promptly and the CD was intact. Again, a great starter for any age. I highly recommend it.
on November 28, 2011
This book is a great introduction to meditation. I've been promising myself that I would try to start meditating...but I didn't really know how to begin. This book gives you several different types of meditation that are easily accessible to the beginner. A Quiet Mind also includes a CD with all the authors of the mediations talking you through a short meditation each. I found the CD very helpful! I need to commit to making more time to try to meditate, but at least I have a place to start!!
on March 3, 2014
Great little book, lots of good info on the different types of meditation plus enough of the basics to get you started. CD was interesting but I didn't really use it that much, since each of the practices only gets about 6-7 minutes. Still, very useful and I'd definitely buy it again.
on March 12, 2013
The brief overview of various styles of meditation are helpful but the real jewel here is the CD that walks you through each style and lets you decide which is right for you.