Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer STEM Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Shop Popular Services siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 57 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 68 reviews
on November 15, 2009
I am grateful for becoming re-acquainted with the meditative techniques in A Quiet Mind. They are, altogether a blessing. As a Christian, I am not a Buddhist by religion, nor can anyone claim that simply by jumping into the stream of meditation, although I do accept many, many theories which they hold sacred. When I began this meditation cd, I found the first three practices slightly uncomfortable; sensations arose in my body. When negative emotions arise, I am now aware that I must face them with a brave heart before they can be transformed. Yet I am also sometimes quite able to sit comfortably, and sit peacefully and transform negative emotions or memories through a process such as tong len or clear seeing. When thoughts arise, in training the mind, "thinking, thinking, thinking," I simply step into the stream and feel peaceful again as if a cloud has passed the river of consciousness. During the second meditation, paying attention to the natural flow of the breath as well as non-judgmental thinking helps to lead us to liberation.
I particularly enjoyed the Metta meditation which helped enable me to forgive. The favorite is Tong Len. The flow of the breath through my body seems to be a sort of transformation. Once I have completed the practice, I feel liberated of any negative emotions and compassionate, as if someone has opened a window to my heart and soul.
The Dalai Llama said: if one is seriously practicing, then one must not practice only for his/her own gain, but for the gain of all sentient beings without one exclusion.
0Comment| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 18, 2011
I looked all over for a good book on meditation and I found this at my local library. Since then, I have given it as a gift to three different people and will continue to gift it. The introduction dispells many common misunderstandings about eastern meditation practices and sets the mood perfectly. Each of the six teachers gives a concise and illuminating explanation of the method and goals of their practice and the CD that is included is great for your first few times until you get the hang of it. Also, you don't have to be Buddhist to enjoy and practice these methods of meditation and you don't have to like all six practices! Just choose one or two that make sense to you! And the Yoga lesson at the end of the CD is perfect for getting you in the right frame of mind for a good 20 to 30 minute session.
Personally, I do a little yoga, set a timer for 20-25 minutes, and light some incense before my practice. I sit in my favorite position and open with a five minute Metta practice (explained in this book) then settle in to Vipassana (also in this book) until the timer goes off. This accomplishes three things for me. It expands my feelings of good will toward people in my life, helps me learn to be in and enjoy the present no matter what it is, and helps me really intimately know myself. Additionally, I get to experience moments of joy and clarity.
Highly recommended!!!
on March 2, 2017
I was taking this out of the library and told myself I need to buy it. It has many types of meditation included. I just love it.
on June 28, 2010
A comaprison of different forms of meditation. Zen, Vipassana, etc. Very nice intro with guided meditations. Helpful for someone like me who is not sure which path to follow.
on June 6, 2013
I have been wanting to practice meditation for a long time. Didn't have much idea as how to start. Bought this book to get some enlightenment on the topic and it has served me well. First, I read all of the book and the introductions to each type of meditation. Then I listened and tried to follow each meditation (one different meditation each day). There were some that I didn't find so interesting when reading about them, but more compelling once I sat down and practiced them with the CD. The book is really a basic introduction to each type of meditation, however, it's value lays in the fact that it allows you to try several different types and find the one that suits you most (though I should confess that I am thorn in between three). If you are wondering where to start this book is perfect for you.
on January 20, 2011
This book and CD were easy to read and listen to. I loved being able to read about various meditiation philosophies and then try the one that seemed to fit me.
on August 19, 2013
several years ago i checked this book out from the library to help me through a difficult life situation and relax my mind. i have used it repeatedly since and had to finally purchase it because i use it every day now. many times at night i play the cd during sleep and find that i awake calm and relaxed.
on August 1, 2012
I have been looking for a CD that starts me off slowly but completely. I like the small book to read, but each teacher had a nice commentary to listen to on the CD, to guide one through the different types of steps of beginning meditation. This is a wonderful starting place for anyone just beginning meditation. The book came promptly and the CD was intact. Again, a great starter for any age. I highly recommend it.
on March 12, 2013
The brief overview of various styles of meditation are helpful but the real jewel here is the CD that walks you through each style and lets you decide which is right for you.
on November 24, 2015
If you're thinking about trying meditation but don't really know where to start, then this is a great place. My Type-A (always busy, always planning, always doing) husband read "Quiet Mind" a year ago during our beach vacation, and has now been successfully meditating ever since. He was originally "intimidated" about meditation, but after reading this book, he said, "I can do this!" Susan Piver compiled practices from six different practitioners to give the reader variations to try; ideas about what meditation is, and is not; ways to sit, or stand, or wash dishes,even; strict ways to practice, and more individual ways to practice. This book gives you a starting point. Everyone can meditate! And honestly, it isn't painful. =-)
(There's a CD included, but I've never felt the "need" for it...)