- File Size: 3745 KB
- Print Length: 63 pages
- Publisher: Quirk Books (May 16, 2013)
- Publication Date: May 16, 2013
- Sold by: Penguin Random House Publisher Services
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00CRLQL12
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Not Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #6,237 Free in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Free in Kindle Store)
Penguin Random House Publisher Services
Price set by seller.
Quirk Books Entertains Your Kids: 20 Crafts, Recipes, Activities, and More! Kindle Edition
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top Customer Reviews
The first activity in the book is Robot Bites from Noodlemania!: 50 Playful Pasta Recipes. The robots are cute enough, but the "recipe" calls for 1 bag of Kraft Homestyle Macaroni and Cheese, which includes a package of bread crumbs you are instructed to discard. Too bad you didn't save those breadcrumbs though, because in step two, you'll need a cup of bread crumbs! While the robots are somewhat amusing, if that is the sort of thing you want to teach children to "cook", this seems rather wasteful to me.
Some of these activities are dangerous - dangerous to the child, dangerous to the bystanders and perhaps even dangerous to the house. Case in point - Futaleufú Mattress Rafting from The Art of Roughhousing. In this activity you are instructed to grab a toddler mattress, twin mattress or tumbling mat, place it at the top of the staircase, jump on the mattress with your child and push off. Talk about a disaster in the making! You'll ruin the mattress and might very well damage the stair railing or the wall. Injuries on landing are a distinct possibility. Then there is that other little problem you don't have to be a parent very long before you become all too familiar with. Once this has become "allowed", the kiddo will sure as there are little green apples think it is just FINE to do when you aren't around to supervise! There is an extremely good reason that sliding down the banisters has been a forbidden delight of childhood for centuries. If you encourage this at 4 or 5, can you imagine how your children will treat their home at 14 or 15? Talk about Animal House in the making!
Even more dangerous is the "Yakima! Choreograph a Fight Scene" activity, also from The Art of Roughhousing. All the parents in the neighborhood are sure to thank you for encouraging exactly the kind of backyard "fighting" that leads to mock "wrestling" stunts, grave injuries and the knock-out game a few years down the road. What WERE the authors of this book thinking?
Some of the activities are so simplistic I wouldn't consider paying for a book full of them (cutting out a shape to thread on a straw is but one example) and not a single one of them includes even the vaguest guideline of what age group a given activity might be suitable for.
Grandma's $0.02 - I saw very little here that was even imaginative, never mind different than the activities you'll be seeing in the coming issues of all of your favorite women's and parenting magazines and some of this is either downright dangerous or guaranteed to create problems down the road. The sampler is, however, free. Grandma advises an abundance of caution.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Cookbooks, Food & Wine > Cooking Methods > Cooking with Kids
- Books > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > Crafts & Hobbies > Crafts for Children
- Books > Parenting & Relationships > Family Activities
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > 90 minutes (44-64 pages) > Cookbooks, Food & Wine
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > 90 minutes (44-64 pages) > Crafts, Hobbies & Home
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > 90 minutes (44-64 pages) > Parenting & Relationships
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Cookbooks, Food & Wine > Quick & Easy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > Crafts & Hobbies > Crafts for Children
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Parenting & Relationships > Family Activities