Academia paints a rosy picture of life as a PhD student. You get to do amazing research and not sell out to the corporate overlords.
What you haven’t been told is that postgraduate life often involves feelings of loneliness, depression, stress, and even suicide. This book will show you the flip side of the ivory tower and reveal why quitting your PhD is most likely the right choice.
Like you, Quinn Quartz had high hopes before embarking on his PhD journey. Unfortunately, the decision to pursue a PhD lacked the full set of data. After a few years of research, anxiety, depression, and loneliness took over him. This led Quinn to quit his PhD.
In this book, Quinn shares his lessons learned the hard way. He will teach you why you should seriously consider not doing a PhD and how to quit the one you’re currently in without regrets.
What Will You Learn in This Book?
- Why is quitting your PhD such a difficult choice? You’ll find out solutions that will help you address this concern.
- How can you quit your PhD without feelings of regret or hate?
- What are the risks involved in doing a PhD? The downsides are presented and supported with cold, hard data.
- What are the psychological and emotional costs involved in pursuing a PhD programme? You will understand why your PhD is not worth pursuing from an economical point of view.
- Won’t quitting the PhD disappoint my family and friends? You will learn how to address the fear of disappointing your loved ones.
- What is the difference in mindset between academia and industry?
- Can you actually have a bigger impact in the world by leaving your PhD?
- You will learn how to stop being unhappy, stressed, and depressed about your situation.
- You will see how quitting your PhD without regret can actually motivate you to become successful.
Who Should Read This Book?
Current PhD Students
If you’re thinking of quitting your PhD, this book will explain why “sticking it out” is a bad idea and will show you how to quit your PhD without feelings of regret.
Prospective PhD Students
If you’re thinking of doing a PhD degree, this book will help you see the full picture of what you’re getting into. You owe it to yourself to be aware of the risks involved.