Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Quitting Smoking For Dummies
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Shop Now STEM

on October 20, 2004
To successfully stop smoking you need to do 2 things: beat your addiction to nicotine and break your smoking habits. (quitting smoking is about skills not willpower - if you had willpower, would you be smoking?). Quitting Smoking for Dummies shows you how to do both. Brizer reviews the medicines out there that can help you quit, so you can select what is best for you. He then goes through how to break your smoking habit, how to select a support group if you need one, and how to stay clean (prevent the relapse). The book is well written, engaging, and the clever/witty in the usual Dummies way. The book is comprehensive -- now this is a requirement I guess for a mainstream/book-for-everyone, but it is too long for the average smoker? For example, are you pregnant? Do you chew? Etc. If not, don't read those sections. I would recommend reading over the Table of Contents and finding the information you need to help you quit. In short, this book is well written, correct, and comprehensive information. Good luck.
on August 24, 2009
This book saved my life. Yeah that was a bit of a dramatic statement but it did. I was a chain-smoker, I smoked close to two packs a day since I was 14 years old. I was addicted since the first time I inhaled. I used this book along with Wellbutrin. When I would get cravings, I'd go back to reading the book.

I do want to warn people who are quitting smoking that you may unleash a depression that you didn't know you had. Smoking cigarettes is a sort of anti-depressant (It's been proven) and I had serious depression when I quit. I was determined not to go back so I went into counseling, started eating better and stayed on the Wellbutrin for a year (it's also an anti depressant). I also started journaling. The thing is that I could have easily gone back to smoking but that would just mean I wasn't facing my problems. Since I've stopped my chronic bronchitis is gone, my allergies are less severe, I have more energy and no, I did not gain any weight (actually lost some while taking Wellbutrin).

This was just my experience. Everyone is different and you may not even experience depression. It will take effort and you need to be prepared and ready. I read the book for a few months before I actually made an attempt to stop.

Good luck. :)
on April 2, 2014
THE AUTHOR MADE VERY GOOD POINTS ON HOW TO HELP YOU TO KICK THE BAD HABBIT OF SMOKING, THIS BOOK WILL GREATLY ASSIST ME IN DOING JUST THAT, IT WAS A LITTLE HARD TO FIND, HOWEVER, THAT IS WHERE AMAZON.COM CAME IN, I KNEW THEY WOULD HAVE THE BOOK IF NO ONE ELSE HAD THE BOOK, BOTH YOUR SELLING THE BOOK, AND AMAZON DOING THE REST, MADE A GREAT TEAM , A GREAT TEAM INDEED, A REAL WINNING COMBINATION, THANK-YOU FOR SELLER A BOOK THAT WILL IMPROVE THE HEALTH FOR MANY PEOPLE AND THE AUTHOR FOR MAKING THE SO EASY FOR THE READERS TO UNDERSTAND, ALL THREE WAS A WINNING COMBINATION, THE AUTHOR, THE SELLER, AND AMAZON, FOR CARRING THE BOOK.
on November 10, 2012
I bought this for my friend who has smoked for 35 years and she told me that after reading the book she is inspired for the first time in her life to quit smoking, and that she I'll do it soon. Nothing else I've tried has helped her want to quit smoking.
on August 16, 2009
i DON'T KNOW IF THE TIME WAS RIGHT, IF IT WAS DIVINE INTERVENTION, OR IF IT WAS THE BOOK, BUT I AM ONLY HALF-WAY THROUGH AND HAVE NOT HAD A CIGARETTE IN OVER FOUR WEEKS. I NEVER THOUGHT I COULD QUIT, BUT I APPARENTLY HAVE AND WITH INCREDIBLE EASE. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on December 23, 2013
Pick this book up before it's too late, it's your ticket to never having to purchase a pack of cigarette never again in your life. Some very useful tips to kick the filthy habit that will one day destroy your life and hit hard your bank account. Freedom from cigarettes is possible, and this book will help you all along. A must read book for all smokers out there whether they are willing to quit or not. I have not quit yet and guess it's because I'm halfway through reading it, by the time I finish the other half, I'm sure i'll be over the cancerous monster that I inhale everyday.
on March 5, 2013
this book is common sense and helps you actually quit smoking! just follow the book and you will be able to quit without medications/gums and such.
on April 2, 2014
Excellent, in-depth, great information and advice and easy to read! Practical step-by-step for those who are ready to be free!
on April 8, 2014
clean, no marks and perfect because the original library book was tossed by accident. The library accepted this in exchange.
on January 26, 2015
Terrible habit to break, but this is helpful for sure, thank you (given to a smoking neighbor who's making sincere effort)!