Your Garage Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services animespring animespring animespring  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 30 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 48 reviews
on March 15, 2014
I was raised an atheist, but later converted Sunni Islam. My parents strongly opposed to my new faith, and tried every means to pull me out of Islam. Failing several attempts to get me out of Islam, my parents converted Christianity. Then as I went to the church, I realized that if Islam doesn't reform, it would not be able to survive the pressure from Christianity. Later, I searched about how to pray according to Quran alone, then I hit Edip Yuksel. His article "Manifestos to Islamic Reform" convinced me to give up Hadith. As I read this translation, it fundamentally changed my understanding of the Quran. Well, in fact, when non-Muslims asked me about what Islam teaches, I had no idea, until I read this translation. In my first reading, I grasped the message of peace and justice in the Quran. And this translation solved the problem of sexism that had troubled me - a girl, for a long time. Later, I made friends with Edip Yuksel, and he's really kind, and treated me as his daughter.

But last December, I found this translation inadequate. I found that the Quran has some special structures and coherence, that Edip Yuksel may not be aware of. Furthermore, in his end notes, he did not explain fully why he interpreted some verses in a certain way, so it appears that he's simply supporting an ideology. For instance, I object to how he interprets 25:30, although I reached a similar conclusion he did, because he didn't show his work, and he wrote too much about the ideology. But I understand why he's doing that - the defective understanding about Islam is just so widespread that to Quranist scholars, the need to correct the understanding is more stringent than the need to help other Quranists. Sure, the majority of Quranist literature is polemical. And many middle eastern studies scholars are not even aware of the existence of Quranists.

Another passage that I don't like is the article about prayer in the appendix. It just shows that Edip Yuksel didn't uproot all his Sunni influence built up in his youth. I also don't like the overemphasis on Code 19. I don't reject it, but I think Yuksel put too much weight on it. After all, Yuksel used to work with Rashad Khalifa, who discovered Code 19. I really really don't recommend Rashad Khalifa's translation, especially the appendices. I really disgust manipulation of numbers - some 19ers even claim to know when is the Day of Judgment; they say 2280. I'd prefer more emphasis on the content of Quran itself, as a guidance.

I've been a Quranist for almost two and a half years. For Quranists, I advice you not to stick with this one translation. I'm now reading Dr. Shabbir Ahmed's translation, experimenting the structural approach I just discovered. To be honest, the structural approach works better than Code 19 to understand the Quran. But traditionalists must be sick of it, for it requires forgetting about any traditional understandings. I think the best way is to learn Arabic and read the Arabic original yourself, for the translators are not 100% objective. And you're welcome to be skeptical to dictionary definitions, for the Arabic language has been shaped by Sunni understandings after the revelation of Quran.

Finally, sellers will get mad: you can get free pdf edition of this and other translations of the Quran. But a hard copy just feels different, and is more convenient for cross reference.
on November 13, 2013
I was familiar with Dr. Edip Yuksel's website 19.org since I was 19 which was 14 years ago (I am 33 now). I had first come across "19" and the works of the late Dr. Rashad Khalifa just a few days before my 19th birthday and I soon came across Edip Yuksel's 19.org and at that time participated in many online discussions on the forum there. I personally think Edip is a sincere and nice fellow and I even had the pleasure of talking to him once on the phone while I was still in college although he won't remember as it has been such a long time and we spoke only once.

Anyway, fast forward 14 years and in brief I went through a lot of personal soul searching and went through phases of agnosticism, then atheism for about 6 years, and then back to agnosticism briefly before classifying myself as a rational spiritualist with no particular religion. Through my 14 year journey since I was 19, I have read many works on Islam, Science, Atheism, Eastern religions of Hinduism and Buddhism, and Philosophy. I currently adopt an Idealist-dualist philosophical world view (in contrast to atheistic materialism) and I prefer the approach of Aldous Huxley's "Perennial Philosophy" when it comes to spirituality, in that beyond the theological differences of the various world religions, at their heart, the message is the same: Love, Compassion, Oneness of God or Brahman or the Tao.

Edip's translation is an extremely necessary step forward to move Islam into the pluralistic world of today. I love how he offers alternative translations of issues such as "beating of wives in a marital discord" (the word "Dharaba" is translated as to "separate") and "cutting of the hands of thieves" (he uses the Quran to show it is rather more humane to translate the word as "mark" the hands of the theif or "cut off the resources/hands" of the thieves from stealing).

This is a brilliant and beautiful translation of the Quran which looks at Islam's Holy Book with fresh eyes. Outstanding!
on October 3, 2010
If you are a Muslim, you should get this translation to see how you have been blocked from understanding the actual meaning of many parts of the Quran.

If you are a Jew or a Christian, you should get this translation to see how Quran relates to Bible. Keep an open mind and you'll see that what you are reading is the truth.

If you are an atheist, you should get this translation to be more informed about monotheism and save yourself never-ending discussions with monotheists.

I hope you can read this book before you depart from this world.
on October 1, 2014
This is not the real Qur'an. Buyer beware, you are purchasing a book that has been changed by a self-proclaimed prophet. This book does not come from Islam.
on February 16, 2011
I had always been told that the Qur'an must be understood in its entirety to understand what it says. It is its own source of explanation.

The Arabic language does not lend well to translation of a religious text such as the Qur'an. The arabic words and syntax may be easily translated to yield a self-contradicting work. Single verses (Aya) are found in translations which contradict other verses. Often, 1 verse will be quoted to prove that the entire book is "evil". However, the majority of related verses will all yield a unified position. Some critics will even go so far as to say that abrogation leaves the "last" verse (skillfully selected to be the "evil" verse) so to "trump" all the sane beautiful verses. Well - flapdoodle! Abrogation in the Qur'an is abrogation of the Old testament, New testament and other earlier world religious source texts. It does not abrogate itself. Extremely horrid is if lesser works (Hadith/Sunna) are used to abrogate the Qur'an!!. yea.... Huhhh!

This books looks at the arabic language and shows how all verses are consistent and speak with one voice. Prior translations just too often start from other prior translations. Mistakes propagate forward through time. This Qur'an now examines all verses with all variant meanings and puts the book together as it was meant to be. Coherent, consistent, true to "Itself". The confusing verses meld away under this keen analysis.

Excellent research coupled with excellent explanations give us an excellent work. Good enough to be called The Qur'an.
on December 20, 2007
This is an excellent work that is not only useful in terms of translation but also is a great material for Arab-speaking or not , Muslims or not to truly understand the core of Islam .
I thank the authors for this great work and I appreciate the amazing and honest effort they put in it.It is simply a genious work that focuses on the Quran 's soul without great noise or pretention.
on May 17, 2010
This translation is not a bad effort but I am afraid that people who have never read the Quran before will find it confusing. I have read your Turkish translation and found it much more convincing. I believe that some of your endnotes are confusing. I would like to offer some constructive criticism in that regard.

I am specifically talking about your referral to code 19. This may or may not be true. It may very well show the miraculousness of the structure of the Quranic verses. However, it does not prove or disprove any particular verse. It is the verses themselves that do that. The existence of code 19 is completely irrelevant to the meaning of the verses and it only adds to the confusion. My recommendation would be for them to completely taken out in future editions. I think this will be particularly helpful for first time readers who do not know anything about it.

My second criticism would be your extensive referral to the Bible. However, the Bible is an extraneous source that is corrupted just like the hadith. So it doesn't make sense to refer to the Bible while at the same time discouraging referral to the hadith. I think it would be better to only use examples from real life and to only refer to other verses when making your point, just like you did in the Turkish translation. Otherwise, you may give the impression that you are interpreting the Quran to suit the meaning of the Bible which I know you are not trying to do.

My other recommendation would be to offer a transliteration of the verses with word by word translation, with all possible meanings of the root words, in order for the reader to come up with and to be convinced of the most appropriate translation/interpretation. There are in fact resources on the web such as the website [...] that allow the reader to look up individual words. I believe that a print version of a word by word translation would be a good idea.

Overall, I believe that this translation is good and convincing but there is room for improvement. I commend your extensive efforts, with your many books, to spread the true message of Islam rid of the corrupting influence of hadiths and to show the world how close true Islam is to Western society. May God bless you and your family in this world and in the hereafter.
66 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 3, 2015
I have a number of translations of the Qur'an. One of the reasons I chose this, is because I wanted a translation that is free of Wahhabi bias. Although this one is not my favorite translations (I prefer the translation by Muhammad Asad), I do like it quite a bit. My only real criticism is that I would have liked to have seen more annotations. That aside, it's very readable. I'm no Qur'anic scholar nor am I a scholar of classical Arabic; and so cannot say how good the translation is. However, when comparing various passages with other translations that I have, it's very comparable.
on March 27, 2011
Very in depth and clarifies a lot. I have multiple Quran's that I read and I always fall back on this one for a reference and or explanation on a given part of the reading. Outstanding job!
on September 11, 2016
This Quran is the TRUTH! I love this Quran because:

- It isn't tainted by Hadith influence
- Is easy to read
- Uses the QURAN to translate the QURAN
- Is very accurate

I strongly recommend any Muslim to read this over any of the other translations.