Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 50 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 69 reviews
on May 27, 2012
My first review was explicit so here is the clean version.

This cd/lp/mp3 is bad! I can't remember the last time I listened to a compilation all the way through, but every song on R.A.P. Music is infectious. I haven't heard rap music this good since Ice Cube's The Predator or 2Pac's All Eyez on ME, but I don't buy a lot of rap music. I am very selective about the rap music I purchase. I was listening to NPR doing a review on Killer Mike's R.A.P. Music and as soon as I heard the words "I never had a religious experience" I was hooked. They played portions of some of the other songs and I knew I had to purchase the mp3's.

This guy is intelligent. The lyrics are timeless and the beats are infectious. Now, what I don't like about rap music is the cursing UNLESS, it is done seamlessly to enhance the storyline. I don't hear the cursing on R.A.P. Music because the lyrics are so meaningful and the flow is so smooth, like a really good Scotch (seriously, it's that good). I could've bought the clean version but why? The clean version of this compilation will confuse the translation. So, there's no need for a clean version. Listen to it raw or not at all. You will not be disappointed.

However, I do wish I could purchase/download the instrumental version because all I music purchases are in the mp3 format because it's so convenient. The instrumental version is only available on the LP as far as I know. Nevertheless, 5 stars for an outstanding body of work. Now I'm going to listen to it again! Thanks Killer Mike. You rock!
on December 31, 2012
When did Killer Mike get so deep? I'm probably ignorant but the last time I heard Killer Mike on a track was Chamillionaire's 'Southern Takeover' in which he killed it on his verse. I just didn't think he could produce a record like this one. My jaw literally dropped when I heard 'Reagan.' I know you can learn different things from music, specifically rap music, but this was powerful information he was telling. There is not a dull moment on this album. El-P produces the entire record and he keeps the beats in tune with mics flow and aggressiveness. Solid record that I'm going to be bumping for a while.
on January 23, 2013
If you are buying the Audio CD version from Amazon to take advantage of the AutoRip thing they're advertising, DO NOT DO THAT THING. The CD and associated AutoRip are the CLEAN version, even though you can't tell that here. And you will NOT be able to just change it out for the explicit version. Because this happened to me. And it sucked.
on June 7, 2012
1988-age 12. I'm sitting in the passenger's seat of a red convertible. the high school kid driving the car puts on N.W.A.'s Straight Outta Compton. My world will never be the same.

1993: Driving through Times Square in a white jeep with the top down, Enter the Wu-Tang goes in the tape deck. Again things change.

FFWD to 2012-Killer Mike's R.A.P. Music hearkens back to the music that came out of the Bronx and scared the $#&% out of your parents. Forget Kanye and his disco lights and his fashion shows and full length films, this is Boyz in the Hood, Menace 2 Society, Ice Cube, RUN DMC, Geto Boys, and Public Enemy.

Intelligent and driven, this is a complete album with enough moods to satisfy most people, from the wistful "Anywhere But Here" and "Willie Burke Sherwood", to the war drums of "Don't Die" and "Big Beast", to the introspective micro/macro reverie of "Reagan", to the soaring and spiritual title track. If you want to hear Kanye and Jay Z singing about how they're better than you over a catchy beat, buy "Watch The Throne". If you want a love song to hip hop, buy this.
44 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 6, 2013
This is what RAP can be when you remove the fluff, the pop, the PCness of the day... and get back to sending a message in a powerful and unique way.

Killer Mike sheds light on what is wrong in our society in a series of telling and informative songs. He's rebellious from the begining to end and there is no apologizing. This isn't the brand of HIP HOP that is prevelant on the radio waves... No way the powers that be would stand for any of this. This is RAP.

He takes shots at commercial artists (Jay-Z?) with lines about the Forbes List being a MFing Whores List... He points out police/government abuse and hypocracy throughout the album and sticks to the message. There is no let up.

The best part is that the message is wrapped in a sweet set of beats. They hit hard, paying homage to RAP of the late 80s and early 90s.

Highly recommended.
on May 18, 2015
This album is classic hip hop material. Every single track is legendary, and this ultimate lead to the greatest that is now Run The Jewels. Mike shows that there's no age limit on hip hop, and he dropped his best album in his late 30's. There's one turn up song, and even that has excellent lyricism. There's a song for every scenario. I've been listening to this album nonstop for the past 2 years, and I can still listen to it like it just dropped to this day.

Standout songs are Reagan, Anywhere But Here, Untitled and Ghetto Gospel
on May 11, 2017
Satisfied customer
on June 15, 2012
aaaargh. yum. this is hot. back to the old days before the cartoons took over and told us lies many wanted to believe. the past is the future because so much got cut off before history got a chance to finish its sentence when it seemed like the world was fighting to become full of house negroes. some are still singing in private by candlelight. ten reviews here? you've GOT to be kidding. cripes; the fight's just begun.

pass this one around. even if you're not gonna do a thing but dance, that's a start. then twist it into fighting a little more. that's how you start to Live it, anyhow. in your body. you know how being treated like a coffee table feels if you've felt like a king already.

and if you sit still during any of this album, you're beyond dead. step aside. you're ham.

--erika lopez in san francisco
on June 10, 2013
The album reminds me of a throw back to Public Enemy. There is almost none of that corny mess about how many guns, jewels, cars, and hoes. And as usual with Killer Mike there's all kinds of social commentary.
on September 8, 2012
Killa caught me off guard with this album, his last album wore off pretty fast, but I'm diggin this new style, kinda experimental for him but its cool, defiantly a nice change of pace from all the "Mini Me" hip hop out right now.