Truck Reviews Beauty Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

RCA AH16100SR 100 Ft. 16-Gauge Speaker Wire
Size: 16 gauge - 100 ft spool|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on January 23, 2016
Product does not state ANYWHERE that it is in fact copper clad wiring which is a very important fact. I found this out after purchasing and am wasting time and effort buying what I actually wanted (copper wire). Thankfully I noticed this before cutting the wire. Additionally, many wire connectors warn (in very small writing on the back of the package) that they are only for use with copper wire only. Given that this product looks very like copper, I'm sure many have overlooked the fact that it's really copper clad aluminum (CCA), and unknowingly purchased copper to copper connectors. I'm not sure of the safety implications but they're at very least concerning. My main gripe here is that I was buying a product that I think doesn't properly advertise it's physical properties.
review image
13 people found this helpful
on March 28, 2016
Copper strands disintegrate upon being connected to terminals. Impossible to use.
7 people found this helpful
on January 9, 2015
Good value for CCA although amazon has better options this is audiovox wire NOT RCA, I think this 100 ft. was about the same price as the 50 ft. The speaker wire is just wound around a plastic cone and shrink wrapped.

It is very easy to differentiate the two wires with one containing a white stripe. The wires can easily be pulled apart but took some effort to expose the copper wire using a wire stripper and resulted in more copper loss than I would have liked but that is from lack of practice.

Overall connections to speakers are great and compared to prices that I have seen at B&M stores.

This wire is CCA which is probably only good for 15-20 feet instead of the 50 you would use for actual copper. Luckily I am using it to use my bookshelves as computer speakers and dont go beyond 10 feet.

For longer applications you may be okay but to reduce resistance losses a pure copper wire would be a better choice.
on October 17, 2016
This is a noticeable upgrade from my 18 and sometimes 20 gauge speaker wire decades old. Stranded wire when aged can act as millions of diodes...believe it or not.
The white stripe designating ground wire and the RCA label designating signal wire sealed the deal during installation.
I recently washed (industrial sonic bath) my 1977 Harman Kardon model 330B to restore it to the full 16 watts per channel that blows away my new Onkyo 115 watts per channel even prior to this speaker wire upgrade. The biggest difference right now is that speaker wire: 16 gauge on the Harman Kardon vs. the 22 gauge speaker wire supplied by Onkyo, UNLESS Onkyo is resorting to Pyle's technique of reporting 115 watts per channel as peak to peak instead of rms power.
One person found this helpful
on March 29, 2015
check your wire before you use it. being legally blind and this being a good brand i didnt think to check it. my surround sound system kept shorting out after using this, since im legally blind i thought maybe i messed up connecting things. a friend came by to check and noticed that every few feet along the cable the wire inside was exposed through the outer jacket causing it to short. since i had all ready cut the cables to fit i dont think i could get an exchange. and dont think id want this brand again after this any way. so check your cable before you use it.
2 people found this helpful
on April 1, 2014
Great speaker wire for a great price! It was difficult in finding 14 gauge for a reasonable price. I don't mean to be sounding cheap, but when you are building a house you will look for every way to save $$$$ lol.. I did two separate living rooms, the speaker outlets (2) being placed about 15ft away from where the tv will be. The 100ft provided was definitely enough for me. I'm also not going to be throwing a bunch of wire up there for no reason. I put what I need. and still had some left over. Packaging was good as well. Very good product. Can't wait to put the surround sound!

p.s. This product is for sure 14 gauge. I've read reviews on other products and saw that customers were not receiving what they were intending to purchase. So no need to hesitate here, RCA is a good company.
on August 4, 2015
Great speaker wire for both home or car audio. I used this wire for my home stereo system. It works great and to me, it sounds as good as the expensive cables. I have a pretty nice sound system, but not a five or six figure one. I guess if you're going to spend as much on your stereo as you do on your car, then special wires probably make sense. If you're spending a few thousand or less, this wire does the trick.

If you are running very long speaker wire runs, then maybe 12 Gauge wire or thicker may be better, but I'm running 10 feet or so, so the 14 Gauge did the trick for me.
on January 21, 2014
Do a search for "copper speaker wire 14 gauge" on Amazon and this is the fourth product that shows up. The first three are all oxygen-free copper. I wanted copper but didn't feel I needed oxygen-free so I bought this.

It's copper-clad aluminum, not copper, but it doesn't say that in the product specs. I didn't figure it out until I cut some. I feel defrauded by Amazon, not intentionally but through their carelessness. They should fix their search algorithm and require proper specifications on the product page.

As others have said this will work OK in short runs. However it is not the product I thought I was buying.
14 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon March 4, 2012
I purchased this cable with the intention of rewiring my home theater system. My system shipped with what I would say was 24G cable -- very small, thing cable. My system was originally 5.1 but I personally added 2 additional speakers and 1 additional sub. to the system. My system is in a room about 130 square feet and with this 100 foot cable I was able to complete the project with no extra left.

Working with this cable is great; very strong and durable, when stripping the wire for making connections the cable responds well. Upgrading from 24G to 16G I can't honestly say I notice a tremendous difference but I'm certainly not disappointed that I did. The value for the price paid is great. I recommend this product for anyone looking to rewire there system as it is easy to work with and is a really good value for the amount of cable you get.
One person found this helpful
on February 16, 2013
I'm not a hardcore Audiophile but I do like having surround sound for watching movies on my Home Theater PC and playing video games. I ordered 2 spools of this to wire my 5.1 $100 Monoprice speakers into my Sony AV Receiver. It's a medium sized room and a low-mid system so I didn't think lower (larger) gauge was necessary. 16 seems to be what most people recommend and use for typical stereo setups.

I've got a pair of Self-Adjusting wire strippers ($10-20) from college and they easily stripped this wire. Normal strippers or even some type of knife won't be as fast but will work fine. When unraveling the wire it helps to pull it straight and untwist the wire so you can route it easily. As the wire comes off the spools it's a bit curled.

I didn't use and banana plugs or solder and the speakers sound great.
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.