Beauty Best Books of the Month Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon theaffairS4 theaffairS4 theaffairS4  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on October 2, 2014
About ten years ago a friend let me smoke a Turkey and some Pork Butts for pulled pork on his Traeger Texas smoker, which worked well. Ever since then, I've had the itch to purchase a pellet smoker for myself.

Over the past ten years I've done a LOT of research on pellet smokers. I first checked out Traegers then Louisiana Grills and then landed on Yoder because of their heavy duty build and quality craftsmanship. I mean, the Yoder is just mean looking and darn right cool looking. I was certain that I would one day buy a Yoder pellet smoker. However, price kept me from buying one. So about 3 years ago I built my own Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS), but I hated dealing with charcoal, it was a pain to clean, and I really didn't like the way the food tasted on it. Then last Christmas, I found an amazing deal on Amazon for a Masterbuilt Electric smoker. I had also bought an Amaze-N-Tube to go in the electric smoker. That worked better, but I never got the "smoke ring" on my meats. Now I know the ring doesn't mean flavor or taste, but you eat with your eyes and for me, didn't feel like authentic BBQ without it.

Then about a month ago I ran across an add for a newer brand of smoker, the REC TEC. The image of their smoker immediately caught my eye, but I'd never heard of them before. So with much skepticism I decided to check out their website and see what they were all about. The more I researched the more I began to realize how amazing this smoker was.

Finally my mind was changed from wanting a Yoder to now wanting the REC TEC. But I had questions, so I posted a simple question on the REC TEC Facebook page one Sunday afternoon. I thought nothing of it, but a few minutes later I had a response asking for my phone number so I could be called to answer my questions. I gave them my number, half expecting to never get a call, but again a few minutes later, my phone rang. And on the other end wasn't some random sales guy, but Ray Carnes, the actual co-founder of REC TEC was on the other line and quite literally chatted with me for over a half hour on a Sunday!

So after that phone call and my own research here's all the benefits that swayed me to finally purchase a REC TEC smoker:
- Large Cooking Space (702 sq inches) - For the price point, larger than most of its competitors and just the other day I cooked six (6) full sized Baby Back Ribs to perfection!
- Body Metal Thickness (10 gauge steel) - Granted not as thick as Yoder, but this IS a Good thing! (see Consumption)
- Central Burn Pot - Instead of offset like most other brands, which provides more equal heat across the entire cooking area.
- Digital PID Computer - The computer is extremely accurate and has a separate Extreme Smoke option (250 and below).
- Massive Pellet Hopper - 40 lb. capacity! The largest hopper out there!
- Consumption - Average of 1 lb pellets/hr at 225 degrees. Much more efficient than Yoder (averages about 2 lb pellets/hr).
- High Heat - 500 degrees, but final setting for "Full Heat", if desired. I can cook pizzas or sear steaks on it!
- Welded and Sealed - The worst thing about most smokers is that smoke escapes from all the joints and seams. REC TEC thought of this and most smoke only comes out the stack or top of the lid (which I put some tinfoil in to seal the lid.)
- No Dampers - This smoker has no dampers, which means that wind and inclement weather will hardly affect the temperature or performance of this smoker! It's also one less thing to worry about or mess with.
- Internal Light - This is a nice feature, though not as bright as I'd like, but at least lets you see how things are going at night.
- Roller-blade style Wheels - All 4, with two smaller ones that swivel and lock.
- Bottom Shelf - This is just nice to put extra bags of Pellets on or anything else you need to keep off the ground.
- Warranty - 6 Years (3 Years all inclusive except for rust or corrosion, and Years 4-6 covered with $99 deductible for major issues.)
- Free Freight Shipping (With Economy Bundle or higher bundle)!
- No Tax (If outside of GA)!
- Up to 2 Years Financing, No Interest (OAC)!!! (Will pay a fee up front, max $129.99 for 2 year financing and decreases as months decrease.) This was the deciding factor for me! I could get this smoker for around $40/month. Yes Please!!!

REC TEC also offers some extras that you can add onto your bundle and if you order them at the same time as a smoker bundle, you get free shipping on those items as well!

So the following Monday after speaking to Ray, I placed my Economy Bundle order, which included the REC TEC smoker, a really nice cover, and a 40 lb. bag of Ultimate Blend Pellets. I also purchased a front shelf ($98.95) and a grill grate ($79.99) that covers half the smoker. The grates are perfect for cooking steaks, burgers, vegetables, etc. Ray even offered the idea to flip the grates over and cook on the flat surface, kind of like a griddle. Though I've not tried this yet. Check out their store to see the other great accessories, rubs, and even apparel that they offer.

My REC TEC Smoker arrived to UT from GA eight (8) days later, to my house, via UPS Freight. Setting it up was not very difficult, but be sure to check ALL the paperwork first, as they have updated instructions that are not in the normal manual, which did clarify a few of the steps. All-in-all, set up took me about an hour and a half to complete. It was missing a wrench, but I owned one that fit, so it was not a big deal, and was only for attaching the side handle.

There is a brief burn-in/seasoning period of 400 degrees for an hour. After that, you're good to smoke!

Since setting up my new REC TEC smoker a week ago, I've smoked:
- 2 whole chickens (Turned out super moist and very tasty)
- 7 lb. Brisket (Beautiful smoke ring and pull-apart tender)
- 6 racks of Baby Back Ribs (Great flavor and not overly smoky)
And I've still got pellets left in my hopper.

I'm very excited to smoke a Turkey or maybe even two for Thanksgiving, even though you can actually fit at least three full sized Turkeys in this thing!

Now every review needs to list the Cons, which are ever so minor:
- Short - I'm 6 feet tall, so the main cooking grate is a little on the short side, but for safety and center of gravity reasons, I understand the need to keep it closer to the ground.
- Brighter Light - As mentioned earlier, maybe an LED light or two.
- No 2nd Shelf - Not that I think it should come with a 2nd shelf, but at least welded on flaps that a 2nd shelf could be added, if desired.
- No Towel - To wipe the drool away each time I use the darn thing!

The best part of the REC TEC Smoker is that it truly is a "Set it and Forget it" Smoker. REC TEC Smokers simply work and makes a BBQ enthusiast, such as myself, seem like a BBQ pit champion! If you're looking for a pellet smoker, I promise, you CAN NOT go wrong with REC TEC.

*** Update (9/12/16) - Nearly 2 Years of Owning REC TEC Smoker

I'm not sure about you, but I personally love when people post updates, as it shows how products are years into it.

And let me just say - I STILL LOVE MY REC TEC SMOKER!!!

What I've Smoked:
- 5 Turkeys (Injected with my own Cajun Sauce recipe, and rubbed with my own Cajun rub)
- Over 30 St. Louis Rib Racks (I prefer these over Baby Back Ribs - rubbed with my own Rib Rub which everyone loves)
- Dozen Briskets (Again rubbed with my own rub, which people tell me is better than any restaurant)
- 8 Whole Chickens (brined overnight)
- 60 Bratts (Smoked for a work party - and turned out super juicy and the smoke ring visible on every bite - Amazing!)
- Dozen Pizzas (I buy from Papa Murphys, which sells take and bake pizzas. Set to 425 and smoke on tray for first 10 minutes, then remove from tray and place directly on grates to finish it off and crisp up the crust.)
- Corn Bread (Smoked in an 8x8 foil pan)
- Brown Sugar Pineapple (Tastes like Pineapple from Brazilian Grill restaurants)
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers (My own recipe)
- BBQ Beans (My own recipe and done in a foil pan)
- Steaks, Burgers and Hot Dogs (Start out at 225 for about 15 min, then crank heat to sear)

My REC REC Recommendations:
- Buy a mini shop-vac to vacuum out the ash from the burnt pellets (some pellets leave more ash than others). I do wish there was an easier way to get at the ash and to clean out the inside.
- Cover your drip tray with heavy duty aluminum foil. I change this out each time I smoke.
- Buy a 2nd Shelf ($59.99 - REC TEC now sells one, which increases your cooking space by 352 sq inches).
- Don't smoke at 500 or higher for long periods of time. My ignition stick basically burnt out and stopped working after searing steaks and burgers at high heat for too long.
- REC TEC's Customer Service is 2nd to none! After I called and said I was having issues with my REC TEC not staying lit due to an Error Code, they sent me out a new ignitor via 2nd day air! Also, they sent me a new fan, just in case. All for free under warranty.
- The 40 lb Hopper has a divider, which I love because I can put two types of pellets in either side, and they will automatically be combined as they are fed by the auger at the center of the hopper. I often combine Hickory and Apple or Cherry pellets.
- Smoking Brisket or Pork Shoulders overnight is amazing!!! I love that I can put my meat on the REC TEC and go to bed, and know that the computer will perfectly control the temperature for me and that there are plenty of pellets that I don't even have to worry.

Wish List (if REC TEC is listening):
- Set up the REC TEC to connect via WiFi, and create an Android or iPhone (if you're into that cult) App to monitor and control the temperature settings of the REC TEC. This would be the icing on the cake, and I'd totally pay extra for it.
- Include wired probes (at least 2) to monitor meat temperatures (and include this in the WiFi and phone App.
- LED light

I hope this update helps you make the best decision you'll ever make, and purchase a REC TEC Smoker.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
540 people found this helpful
|1515 comments|Report abuse
on April 24, 2017
Having had my Rec Tec 680 for about seven months now, I have, up to this point been ecstatic with it. Temperature control is as good as an indoor oven, providing you don't have the grill sitting in direct sunlight, which will cause the temp to spike. Cleaning is about the same as any other grill, maybe a bit more cumbersome, as the parts are more heavy duty and therefore heavier to handle. Sharp edges on the sheet metal, particularly the optional folding work tray can take some skin with it, so exercise some care when handling. But, overall, I've been able to produce some of the most flavorful, smoky BBQ ever and am still refining my technique with the consistency that the Rec Tec 680 provides one bbq session to the next.

Then the bomb dropped. Firing up for a midnight start to a smoke for a brisket we needed for an event the following day, I started up the smoker and put on a 14 lb. packer. Fast forward to checking on the temp an hour later - nothing. No heat. No smoke. No electrical to the unit except the grill light. Okay, into the oven with the brisket at 1:00 a.m. and off to bed.

Rec Tec, after I called them on Monday morning, said it was the ignitor rod which goes bad "occasionally" (meaning every 6-10 months, according to the guy I spoke with) and causes a fuse to blow and that they'd send me a new one, which they did. They said to watch the YouTube video on how to change both the ignitor rod and the fuse, which I did.

Fast forward to this morning after being up to my elbows in replacing the ignitor rod for over an hour, cutting zip ties and basically diassembling the entire guts of the machine to get to the fire pot only to find that the ignitor rod is stuck. Really stuck, since no amount of cursing and banging could release it.

Another call to Rec Tec. This time Chris answers. I explain my issue to him and he says the ignitor rod is likely warped and won't come out the way the video says. Well, then what's the point of the video? How many people change out a brand new ignitor rod with the grill up on a forklift as shown in the video?

I also convey to him what a pain this is going to be if I have to do it every three bags of pellets, which is what I've burned so far over ten cooks.

Chris tells me I don't have to change out the ignitor and fuse that often if only I'd go on their site and buy the upgraded ceramic ignitor rod and firepot. He said they knew they had a problem with the ignitor rods not lasting, so they have the ceramic option available. Really?

So, this top of the line $1,600 grill that comes with a six year warranty, requires me to purchase an upgrade (which by the way isn't on the website) to fix a known issue so that it doesn't flame out in the middle of a cook and so that I don't have to bust my knuckles a couple of times a year?

Nice upsell, Rec Tec. Not what I expected from a company that purports to use the best quality components on their grills.
219 people found this helpful
|99 comments|Report abuse
on April 19, 2017
I went from a Masterbuilt electric smoker to a Rec Tec. I did ALOT of research going back and forth between Rec Tec, Camp Chef and Blazn Grill and a Yoder. Rec Tec reviews and overall medium cost was my deciding factor. My very 1st cook was some ribs, the same night I decided to do an overnight cook with brisket knowing that it was a trial run. That trial run ended up being the best brisket tasting brisket I've ever done. Family members are my critics and they would tell me if the brisket was dry, (as they did in my Masterbuilt), advised it's the best brisket they've ever had.

I don't write a lot of reviews and was skeptical why everyone was so compassionate about a wood pellet grill, I now know why! :)
You don't have to be a pit master to make good bbq, 75% is in the grill and technology. The other 25% is doing some research and making sure you follow baselines for food preparation, temp settings, etc.

I purchased a 8lb brisket from Sam's club, trimmed it, pepper and kosher salt, injected some beef broth, smoked at 190 for 12 hours overnight, stalled at 145 internal, wrapped it in aluminum, brought smoker up to 250, cooked for another 2 hours until internal temp was at 200, placed in cooler for 3 hours. unwrapped and enjoy! Great smoke ring, flavor and tenderness.
review imagereview imagereview image
26 people found this helpful
on January 9, 2013
I ding it 3/4 of a star for UPS Freight's (their choice of a shipping partner) customer service and 1/4 star for 4 missing fasteners (easily replaced at Lowes). Yes it is still worth 5 stars.

This is a review written from the perspective of a Weber Kettle BBQer. Ive used the Kettle exclusively for the last three years or so and decided change things up a bit. I bought the REC TEC for Christmas.

1st - REC TEC's customer service was refreshingly personal, prompt and first rate.

The order was processed the same day I made it on Amazon after REC TEC called to make sure they had the correct address.

Assembly was easy and pretty straight forward and took about an hour. The fasteners weren't ID'd by the location they get installed on the drawing, but if you have even a hint of mechanical inclination, its pretty easy to figure out. (steps say assemble ______ with provided hardware - pictures show major pieces only). Honestly, It could have taken me the better part of a day and Id have still given it a solid review.

Grill lights itself and gets to temp quickly. Burn-in at 400F and it took about 20 min in 40F ambient temp with a bit of wind. Once on temperature, there was very little variance even in the wind (I only saw 8F low once and the rest of the time it was within 3F if not on target)

First cook was a couple 2" thick pork chops. They turned out just as good as my Kettle version but with significantly less work on my part.

Ditto for the second cook which included a 5 pound beef rib roast and three ~ 4.5 pound chickens. Even with all that meat on the grill there was plenty of room for more.

Deciding on the REC TEC was a long process. There are similar grills out there at similar prices - I've read hundreds of reviews on numerous websites (smoke ring, pelletheads, etc...) and despite being the new kid on the block, the REC TEC reviews stood above all the others. I now understand why. They are the best looking and best warranted pellet grills on the market and nobody can touch their current level of customer service.

I would buy this grill all over again and would recommend it to anyone in the market.

** 6 month update is included in the comments **

*** 1.5 Year update below ***

5/20/2014: So here it is almost 18 months later and bottom line - Everything works like the day I bought it and it is still cooking at premium quality level. I would certainly still recommend it (and have). I would probably give it 7 or 8 stars today if it were possible. In addition to being a great grill and smoker, pretty much anything you can cook in the oven you can cook with the same ease on the REC TEC. For more specifics, see below - I'll cover everything that comes to mind after about a year and a half of use.

The great wall of text below is a lot to take in, but offered in an effort to help you make an informed buying decision. In addition to the grill, I recommend the following purchases to make your grilling experience as rewarding as possible. None are deal breakers, so they certainly don't need to be purchased right away (or even at all). They are listed in the order I would recommend to most folks and assume you already have at least one quality instant read digital thermometer ($25 - $90 ea) and a decent set of knives - if not, start there.

1. Insulated food gloves (about $20). Handle whole chickens with ease and allows for pulling pork roasts by hand without the burns.
2. Want to get creative? Pick up a cast iron loaf pan and/or a pizza stone and start baking ...
3. If you find yourself smoking more meats (or wanting a stronger smoke flavoring) a 12 inch smoke tube ($30-$35 online). You can simply burn additional loads of the same cooking pellets in it, or buy small wood chips.
4. If you find you want the ability to sear meats, grab the searing kit (about $80).

======================== Full review wall of text located below ============================

1. Have I had any problems with the grill? - Yes, but only one and it only affected those of us who bought the grill early. It was at about the 6-7 month point and it was a fan issue in which the fan blade hub would slip on the shaft while spinning causing air flow to become extremely reduced. I noticed this as a distinct decrease in flow noise from the fan and a fire with large flames in the fire pot.

I contacted REC TEC right away (I believe it was text via Facebook since I was outside at the time and on my mobile phone) and explained the symptoms. They returned my message with a phone call almost immediately, (under 10 minutes) with a diagnosis of the problem. They told me how to fix it for immediate grill use, and sent me a new complete blower fan assembly to replace the broken one (it was here in two days). It was as easy to repair and replace as they had indicated and the temporary fix worked like a champ - no cooking time lost beyond the couple minutes it took to get and make the repairs.

2. How much can you cook at once? Enough to feed your family (reunion). I had 13 adults and five children at Thanksgiving last year. All the meat (24 pound turkey over a roasting pan and a 12 pound ham) and some of the veggies (potatoes on the grill gates) were cooked on the REC TEC. Everyone was stuffed and there were left overs. I have cooked eight racks of ribs at once (Baby Backs lying flat) and seven racks of St Louis Cut Ribs (could probably fit more if I used racks to stand them up). Eight 5-6 pound whole chickens will fit and so will three full briskets (about 12 pounders).

3. Pellet use - far less than I expected. Due to the sturdy materials used in grill construction and the craftsmanship of the fit up, I don't go through pellets very fast. I've quit keeping track of how much I go through. Suffice it to say that one 20 pound bag of pellets in the REC TEC lasts longer, cooks more, and costs less than two 9 pound bags of charcoal in my 22.5 Kettle.

4. One general complaint I see about pellet grills is that they do not impart a stronger smoke flavoring. If you want to impart more smoke flavor to your meats, my experience with the grill is:

a. Put the (COLD) meat on the COLD grill as it produces much more smoke while coming up to temperature than it does while it is at temperature. Also it produces more smoke at lower (200F or lower) temps than at higher temps.
b. Smoke the meat at 180F for a couple hours and then raise temperature to desired slow cooking temp.
c. A fairly simple remedy I recommend is a 12" smoke tube (about $30-35 online) to provide supplemental smoke - it works for charcoal and gas grilling as well. It will provide ample smoke for a couple hours during the cook for a robust, but not too strong flavor.

5. Another general complaint I see about pellet grills is that they are not a "real" grill. The primary driver for this comment is (not) being able to sear items. While I agree with the `searing' statement, it is fairly easy to remedy with the purchase of the searing kit from REC TEC (for about $80). It performs as advertised - the kit inserts on the right half of the grill, providing plenty of searing space.

6. Cooks like an oven and just as easy to use. From the beginning, we found ourselves looking for excuses to grill. That led to finding new things to grill. I now own a variety of cast iron pans used for cooking things ranging from bread, to meatloaf, pizza (we have a stone for this and the bread), chili, cookies, fries, etc...on the REC TEC.

Cooking is a snap - Plug it in then turn on the grill with the touch of a button, set the temperature (touch of a button), and then set the display actual temperature (touch of a button).

I have the original controller so my controllable temperature band is 200F to 500F in 5F increments. I have been informed that I can set up the controller for the newer 180F minimum - All I need to do is call Ray and he will walk me through (re)setting the controller. I have cooked at literally every temperature setting between 200F and 500F and the grill works like a champ at each setting. It controls temperature right where you set it. I've only seen it off by a few degrees a few times over the last year and a half and that includes cooking in just about all weather conditions and outside temperatures ranging from the low teens to the 90s. It comes quickly back to temperature when its lid has been opened and re-closed.

7. Care and keeping it clean: Grill is well seasoned on the inside but not dirty or greasy. The grill is simple to keep clean using the following routine -

a. Cover the drip pan in aluminum foil and replace it after every cook. Empty and rinse grease bucket as required.
b. Remove the drip pan and vacuum out the bottom of the grill and the fire pot (after about 8 hours of cooking time - not if you're in the middle of a cook though).
c. Remove the light cover and clean with warm soapy water after about 8 hours of cooking (again not if you're in the middle of cooking). Cover pops right off
d. Clean the grill grates with a Stainless Steel Scrubber Pad (about $1.50 each) (also called stainless steel gun cleaning pad - not the same as steel wool or a Brillo pad). Cleaning the grates is a breeze as they are real ¼" stainless steel rod - you won't need an expensive grill brush (or worse - a cheap one).
e. I wipe down the exterior just about weekly with warm, damp, (lightly) soapy rag. Exterior finish is as good as new. I keep it covered when not in use.
490 people found this helpful
|2424 comments|Report abuse
on February 9, 2018
If you are looking for a pellet smoker grill and your down to either the Traeger Texan or the Rec Tec, I'd would go with the Rec Tec. Without question the Rec Tec is a better Grill and a better value for similar $ and about the same size.
I owned a Traeger Texan for about 5 1/2 years and during that time I literally ran a ton of pellets through it. That's right I bought an entire 2000 lbs. of pellets on a pallet and over the course of a little over 5 years I burned them all.
I'm not trying to slam my old Traeger but it did break down 4 times and when it did it was quite a hassle. The auger gear box broke 3 times. The gears inside would just strip out. The problem was that the auger came from the hopper about 2 feet away from the fire pot and there was just too much friction for the tiny little gears to handle. Especially in cold weather. I grill all year round and I live in Minnesota so it gets a might bit on the chilly side at times. Even though I kept the grill in a heated garage until use the design just didn't work.
The other thing that broke was the controller. Because I bought my grill at Costco (the best place on earth to buy anything) the good folks at Traeger shipped new part at no cost for about 4 years and I'm pretty handy so I would make the repairs myself.
The final time it crapped out I decided to get a different grill, again from Costco but alas to my dismay Costco does not sell them in the winter so I hit up Amazon. After much research I decided to give the Rec Tec a try.
The cost for the grill was about $200 more that I could get a Texan for and when you tack on the addition $200 for shipping it went to about $1200 so I thought long and hard prior to making a decision. A lot you say for a grill? Well, maybe so but when I compared the two it was obvious to me the Rec Tec was the hands down winner and you get a lot more than $400 in extra value. Sure I looked at all of the others out there too but aside from a few gimmicky webby things and maybe a built in temp probe the Rec Tec had everything I wanted.
The material, build and design of the Rec Tec beats the day lights out of the Traeger in every category. The Rec Tec has a much thicker metal just about everywhere and most of it is really good stainless compared to the thinner non-stainless steel on the Treager. The Traeger weighs in at around 115 lbs. and I think the Rec Tec is around 215lbs. If you're familiar with the you see a big difference the second you lay eyes on the Rec Tec. In comparison the Traeger seems flimsy and the Rec Tec is a beast.
Another thing is the controller. The Traeger goes from smoke, 180 to 200 and maxes out at about 450 and can't hold the correct temperature. Depending on the weather it may be 20 degrees under the desired temp. When it's cold outside it has problems even getting to 350 even with a blanket on top.
In contrast the Rec Tec goes from 180 to 500 in 5 degree increments and no matter what the temp is outside it gets to the desire temp and holds like a rock within 1 degree. Usually it stays exactly right on the button.
Warrantee is the last thing I'm going to mention. The Treager is 3 years (unless you get it at Costco) and the Rec Tec is 6 years. I bought my grill at Amazon and sprung for the extra $40 to get an additional Square Trade protection plan pushing the already very good warrantee to a phenomenal 10 years!
As soon as I unboxed it I could see it was with out question far superior. Now that I've made a couple of cooks with it (bacon and ribs) I know I made the right decision. This is by far the best grill I've ever owned.
If you choose this grill I have no doubt that you will not regret it.
9 people found this helpful
on November 25, 2017
Edit April 1, 2018:

I just smoked some killer ribs, two weeks before a 15 pound brisket (about 14 hours at 200 degrees), love the grill!
-------------------------------------------------

My electric smoker died so I wanted to go with pellets for my new smoker; after doing a bunch of research I chose this Rec Tec. My only issue with this outstanding product is the bolts are too short when you are bolting on
the legs. I had to leave off the lock washer on some of the bolt holes.

As far as the claim of precision temperature control, I can verify that. The temperature delta at the very most I observed was maybe two or three degrees. The build quality is very, very good. The stainless steel grates are heavy and quality. The drip pan is heavy and quality. The whole thing is heavy! To my amazement I can think of no negatives about the smoker.

Tip, buy the optional front shelf, I didn't and wish I would have.
7 people found this helpful
on March 28, 2016
I was using a top quality wood fired smoker which produced excellent smoked meats. But it was a pain to use, requiring constant attention. Acquisition and chopping of the wood was also a problem. Cleanup was also a real chore.There is something manly about building and maintaining a real fire, but I decided I really only wanted the results, not the experience.

After a lot of research, it seemed a wood pellet grill could produce equally good results and, after its price reduction, the Rec Tec was the best bargain out there. It is attractive, solid and works flawlessly. The only nit I have is the placement of the temperature probe. It is placed vertically along the side. As a result, it reads about 25-30 degrees hotter than a probe placed at the food level. So the food is cooking at a much lower temperature than the controller would indicate. You can use an external temperature probe and adjust the controller so you get the temperature you want at the food level. What I did was to remove the probe from its bracket and place it at the food level and now it reads within a few degrees of my Maverick probe.
20 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on March 14, 2017
Delivery was faster than expected time, grill had damage from shipping but called them right away and within 3 days had a new one. Very happy would definitely recommend. Quality is way above their competition. Only complaint is the base could be wider for better stability, can very easily tip when using or moving.
11 people found this helpful
on May 8, 2017
Have had many grills through the years. This is better than our current charcoal grill (Egg) and our gas grill (Weber). The self feeding hopper allows you to smoke all day and step away- a must for a family on weekends. We did a pork butt for BBQ for a church group and all agreed it was the best they had eaten from home grilling. Great support from REC TEC too. It seemed pricey to me when the husband ordered but even I agree it was money well spent!
8 people found this helpful
on November 28, 2013
When it comes to build quality, this grill is topnotch. It makes the Traeger Texas Grill cheap. I remember assembling the Traeger grill we got from Costco recently. When I attached the first leg and my tightening of the nut to the bolt started to make a dimple on the side of the grill, because of the thin sheet-metal used in the construction of the grill, I felt so uncomfortable of the fact that we got a grill with cost-cutting as an obvious concern of the manufacturer. On the other hand, our new REC TEC grill is of a much better build. It uses stainless steel for its nuts and bolts, heat deflector, fire pot and drip pan. This choice of material is very reassuring that the grill will last a very long time. There is also the convenient features of interior lighting, under grill storage space and a much bigger pellet hopper, or features that the Traeger grill does not have. Also, running out of REC TEC pellets and using other pellet labels won't be a big deal for this grill because using non-REC TEC pellets won't void the warranty of the grill, unlike the Traeger grill.

The REC TEC grill has a more precise temperature control compared to the Traeger grill. However, the slow process by which the REC TEC grill stabilizes at its lowest temperature setting is worth noting. The grill has a lowest set point of 180 F. With an ambient temperature of 60 F in our neighborhood, and setting the grill at 180 F, it slowly cycled many times between a high and low temperature before it settled at 180 F. Starting at 60 F, the grill slowly inched past 180 F all the way to 192 F then slowly went back down to 178 F and back up to 197 F then down to 184 F and back to 194 F then down again until the fluctuation tightened up at 180 F.

On the assembly side, the only thing difficult about it is screwing the 4 metal screws that secure the cover of the bottom of the housing of the controller during the assembly process. As a suggestion, REC TEC should provide a pilot screw to screw and unscrew all 8 holes before the cover is screwed to the housing with the 4 metal screws provided. This should make assembling the grill very easy from start to finish.

At any rate, REC TEC's customer service is superb. They responded to my questions promptly, and apparently with utmost concern to satisfy their customers. One of the owners of the company even guided me through the grill's operation to make sure that the temperature of the grill settles at 180 F.
review image