Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-1 of 1 reviews(3 star, Verified Purchases). See all 352 reviews
on September 23, 2015
This is my first review but being that this is a high cost item, I want people to be informed as best as possible before making the commitment.

The quick and dirty positive things:
- Solid construction
- Easy to set up (took me 40 minutes)
- Big cooking surface area
- Customer Service is fantastic (even when I was asking to return it)
- Long 6 year warranty

But lets move onto the important stuff. You are probably considering a pellet grill because like me, you want the easy convenience of maintaining temperature and quick & easy clean up. But depending on what you primarily cook, you need to remember something that always stuck in my mind after reading. THIS IS AN EXPENSIVE OVEN FIRST, SMOKER SECOND.

I spent a good amount of time with the Rec Tec cooking bacon, chicken breasts/legs/spatchcock, ribs, pork butts, fish, pretty much everything besides brisket. I did low temps, I did high temps, I did short cooks, I did 12+ hour long cooks. I tried different kinds of pellets, grates, cooking methods, you name it.

The smoke flavor of Rec Tec grills was almost non-existent. At any temperature or method. I had some of the greatest smoke rings ever achieved in my food but the important thing is, the meat itself had no "smokey-love" flavor at all. My bark was good, my rubs were good, but when I got to the meat itself, I was left very unimpressed.

I tried letting my hamburgers sit at a low temp to try and soak in some smoke before increasing the temp and that didn't help. Chicken, which normally very easily absorbs smoke flavor may as well have been done in a convection oven. That extra smokey flavor just wasn't there.

People left and right will say, "If you want extra smoke, buy [accessory item!]". I suppose you can do this, I didn't. I felt since I had purchased a $1200 item already, to buy MORE accessories for it was too costly of an investment for me. I don't want to purchase sear grates, direct heat plates, smoke tubes, cooking mats, whatever. I am an average middle-class person and the high cost investment here was not worth the outcome of the product in my opinion.

I have a few years of BBQ experience under my belt from using standard Weber charcoal grills, kamado eggs with lump charcoal, masterbuilt electric smokers, and a few others. I do not consider myself a master at all, not a know-it-all, but I say this because I have a general understanding of pros/cons to each style of grill and cooking styles.

With this grill, you are purchasing a high-end car to get to your straight-and-narrow destination when a Honda Civic will do the same thing with the same results. This grill is all about pure convenience, and it does it well with a great warranty but the taste of the food isn't there.

I will not say this grill is bad, I know it isn't going to perform the same as a kamado or wood burning offset barrel grill, but if you want the convenience factor of a pellet grill, you can save a lot of money purchasing a lower cost different brand and get the same results with extra money to spend on accessories if you feel the need to.
1717 comments| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse