Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 139 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 166 reviews
on September 13, 2015
Ok I have waited to write a review so that I could put some operating time on the printer and see how reliable it is so here goes. Printer came on time and assembly went without issue, I did take my time and put it together in my spare time so I took about 3 days. If you sat down and wanted to get the assembly done at one time I would estimate it would take about 4 to 6 hrs if you have some mechanical ability. Only issue I had with it was with a thermocouple and when I emailed they responded within 2 hr and gave me their phone number to call. I called and they quickly helped me troubleshoot the issue and within 30 min including the call it was up and running. I am really happy with this printer, I have printed layers as thin as 31 microns(takes lots of time) with both the .4 and the .2 nozzle(came with .4 I purchased .2 off amazon). So far I have gotten on thing universe and printed 3 pairs of steampunk goggles for my grand kids, 3 fly fishing reels of different sizes, nasa wrench, 3 bearings(just to see if they would work and they do), a side cast reel of my own design, 4 whistles for my grand kids, a calibration cube to check accuracy, vase for my wife, pencil holder for my desk at work etc.

NOTE: this is something that is well documented on the internet, make sure to take your time and properly get the bed leveled!!! this is very very important and the first step is to put the printer on a flat surface. The term leveling is misleading, what you are actually doing is making sure the bed in the x and y planes is parallel to the gantry. For the bed I am using blue painters tape from ACE hardware and I am not using the heated bed for the pla.
Bottom line is this printer is a good cost effective printer that is reliable enough that I start a print, check to see the estimated print time and walk away. In most cases the prints have been good enough that little cleanup was necessary.
33 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 6, 2016
I had some extra money and i always wanted to buy a 3d printer for my personal use and to keep at work for the occasional prototype. I have an engineering/machining background. I also have experience in 3D printing due to a course i had in college. Our machines were much higher-end machines (Stratasys and OBJET) so i knew about file formats and slicing. This is my first experience however with a consumer grade machine and i am deeply enjoying a challenge.

The Problems:
When i first received the package, i took an inventory and i found nothing was missing. I did find one of the support legs of the main frame had a chip out of the plexiglass. Quick email to support@reprapguru.com and the part is on its way. These things happen and i am more than satisfied with how it was handled.

Another problem i had was when i plugged in the Ramps 1.4 board, the Arduino would shut off and would send an alert to my computer that it was drawing too much power. I double checked that my limit switches were oriented correctly (Manual makes this perfectly clear you can destroy a voltage regulator on the Arduino Mega if you have them backward.) I located the problem on one of the switches itself. The switch had a solder bridge on it so it was shorting two pins together. Thankfully my board wasn't destroyed.

Finally, i wish the printer came with tech-flex so that we can tame the medusa of wires after all the connections are made.

The good:
This machine is infinitely adaptable and if you understand the process... quite capable of excellent print quality. I bought it hoping it wouldn't require too much tweaking (i don't like unnecessary tweaking) but understand it is a necessary evil sometimes. This machine has brought it to a manageable level. If you have no desire to troubleshoot or find it hard to think critically to why a problem has arisen, maybe try another machine. If you follow the directions though, you will be very close to what you need to get up and running. I am very glad i purchased this machine vs. a davinci jr.

Setup:
It took me about 8 hours total from unboxing to printing. Again i am an engineer who understands how limit switches, controllers, and stepper motors interface. The instructions are thorough enough for a beginner, just don't be in a rush or get frustrated if you have a couple quirks to work out. I will be buying another if i find i need more machine capacity.

Update: 5/13/16
This review was done of my own free will to help others make decisions on going with this seller and printer. I did receive a roll of Black PLA after it was written from the company.
review image review image review image
on February 13, 2017
ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS: MUST HAVE ENGINEERING SKILLS! This took 9 hours to build, and countless hours of calibration. Do NOT buy this if you aren't tech-savvy.
With that being said, this is an excellent machine for the price. Compared to competitors in this range, you won't find better instructions or a better machine.
There are a few things to mention, however:
- DO NOT "tighten" any acrylic frame nuts. Just mildly snug. It's incredibly brittle and WILL crack. If it wobbles when everything is together, lightly snug them up. That's it. The bed assembly will add necessary rigidity. There is no quality issue, that's just the structural properties of acrylic.
- You MUST glue the Z axis (vertical) bearings to the top of the chassis or they will pop out.
- You must also glue the Z-axis threaded nuts into the X rod housings or they will slip and throw off alignment.
- You must lubricate everything.
- Both Z-axis sides need to be the same distance from the base, or it will bind.
- The videos show some things backwards, you'll need some deductive reasoning.
- The bed is flipped in the video. Dual bearings go to the ramps side. Or just relocate the end stop.
- I recommend heat-sink sleeves for the transistors on the ramps board to prolong their life.
- Wait until you know everything runs ok, then zip-tie wiring in as many places as possible.
- RepRap's PLA filament runs best for me at 201-205 degrees. But I'm also at high altitude.
- Print "filament guides" as soon as you can. Just something simple to keep it flowing easily.
- Print cable chains or buy heat resistant wire loom to protect the extruder and heat bed wiring.
on January 25, 2017
Dont trust the 5-star rating. Its a rip off.
When you recieve the Item there's a piece of paper saying that "as a holiday gift" if you rate them 5stars on the product and then contact them, they will gift you a 1kg filament spool.
Also... this one is not worth it. Way too thin thread screws and cheap Power supply you will have problems with the board.
on June 10, 2016
I have run the printer through a few jobs now and am seeing some great success as I work through my novice learning curve. I did get some drifting in the Y axis on my first print, but quickly remedied that by tightening the belt. and then noticed circles weren't perfectly round but a little more tension on the X axis took care of that. Now it is tracking like a pro. The assembly was fantastic, but like some people have said I did have 2 screws that touched the frame when the plate was sliding. Less than a dollar getting some shorter #3 machine screws and I was good to go. I needed to go to Home Depo for some wire wrap anyway so it wasn't an extra trip. I love putting things together so I really enjoyed the process. Even if you don't have experience with assembly I think the process was very simple. The most challenging component is getting the frame to sit level.

There are some comments here about having to re-do things because of parts that confused them as to which side they went on. Most of this has been fixed. The motor mounts I received were reversible so they could be used on the left or right. Some very smart thinking went into the design. I did have one minor issue with the power plug in my RAMPS board, but when I emailed support I got a response within minutes and they quickly handled the problem and shipped a new part on the same day. Some others have also said that the parts bags were confusing. I found that it was pretty easy to figure out what most were and I numbered them as i matched them up to the instructions. After doing that, the one or two that you are un sure of are easy to identify. Do make sure you keep them in their numbered bags after that because you will reference each one multiple times during the build. Those little washers and nuts are tiny so it may be wise to have some long tweezers or needle nose pliers handy.

This is an entry level kit, but once built it is a great machine. The Prusa i3 system is a very common and this machine can be updated easily. I plan to print a hanger for the filament spool to mount to the top of the frame. Keeping filament going without a spool roller is something you have to attend to. I made the mistake of walking away once. I certainly learned a lot about the build and working elements of a 3d printer by getting a kit instead of a ready to print machine. I think this is a great way to get started.

Update June 12 - I just printed a mount for my filament spool and now everything is running so much easier. I'm now thinking about adding an ip camera so I can monitor long print runs but with some practice this machine is printing very well and only getting better.
review image review image
on August 20, 2016
 If you're new to the world of 3D printing, this is the printer for you.

I've read extensively on the subject of 3D printing and which printer parts are best. THIS is the kit you want to buy. I had a couple of issues setting it up including a burned out component or two. After an e-mail to customer service, they sent me replacement parts and I was back on my merry way getting everything set up. Five stars alone for customer service. This isn't some cheap knock-off Arduino board. These are genuine parts to make this printer run. You won't be disappointed.

Calibration took a few hours to get everything level and to figure out just how to make different plastics stick to the print bed. Once everything was dialed in, this printer took every job like a champ! One of the first things you'll want to print is a filament guide and spool holder. Word to the wise, you absolutely WILL fail your first couple of prints. Do NOT get discouraged and do NOT give up! That's just the nature of this hobby. It will take a little bit to get everything properly calibrated, but you WILL be rewarded with the ability print to almost anything you want!

I can't recommend this kit enough based on the quality of the parts and the customer service to back it up.
on June 14, 2016
Printer arrived quickly and was well packaged. You need to open all the boxes inside to find the piece of paper that gives you the download link for the build manual and printer firmware. The build manual unfortunately is pretty bad. A few things to note are.
1. It will tell you to build things in an improper order which will cause you to undo things you have already done.
2. the sides of the frame have different holes drilled in them and they must go on the proper side or the wires will be too short. My side frames also did not have all the holes drilled. So you may need to drill your own holes.
3. You will get a bag of pin connectors that the manual will not mention at all. These go underneath your motor drivers on the Ramps board. Look at the pictures very carefully. This caused me a couple of days of frustration with thinking the printer was broken in all kinds of ways. Customer service knew instantly what my problem was, probably because everyone calls about this.
4. The screws that you level the bed with will be too long and will hit the frame when the Y axis is traveling. You will need a hack saw to cut the screws to the proper length.
5. Make sure you heat your bed before you try to level it. Heating it will cause the glass to lower quite a bit and your Z axis will be way to high if you don't heat up your bed first.
Even with these issues this is still a good printer. They have done all the soldering and assembled the hotend for you. You will need screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, wire strippers, multimeter, caliper, hack saw, computer, and maybe a drill.
on May 16, 2016
First time building a 3D printer so initial build took me about 7 hours (over the course of two days). After that took another half a day to get things tuned well enough to print. I did have a short happen on one of the main power connectors but believe it was user error and a replacement board was only $25 and after having built it I wasn't afraid to replace any of the parts. After printing quite a few things saw that the belts were slacking a little so the included belt tightening springs came in handy and pulling in the slack has helped the print quality. Overall amazed at the quality it can print given the price and fact that it was my first attempt at a build of this type. Instructions would be better if they showed some wider angle photos so you can get some context of where the part fits but looking at the final page with the photo showing it put together is good enough.

Beware of flipping your switch plugs as it will fry the power regulator on the Arduino and make sure your main power going into the RAMPS board is well connected (this is where the short occurred for me), stepper motor wire direction won't hurt anything will just reverse the direction.

Anyhow lessons learned and was a really fun build and super happy with the result.
on August 17, 2016
Look No Further for a Great 3D Printer DIY kit

Received the printer kit on August 9th and have assembled it including the electronics in less than a week (approx 2 hours a day). Didn't want to wait any longer to write a review even though I'm still in the final phases of calibrating the printer. But assembly was pretty straightforward, both the frame and attaching the electronics. I have a software background as well as a fair bit of self-taught electronics knowledge, but I believe that anyone with the interest and enthusiasm to build one of these from the supplied kit will have a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction as you see it all take shape.

I read most of the posts here and overall, this product deserves the many highly rated reviews. Sure, there were a few minor issues, but I agree with others that questions to the RepRapGuru customer service folks were answered quickly without fuss. Exceptional service.

Many others had similar issues to mine during the build, but it's just for other folks' information that I will mention mine.
- The x-axis rods appeared to be too long when I inserted them into the end pieces, but a quick call to customer service assured me that quickly drilling out some plastic residue in the holes would resolve the issue, and it did. No need top cut the rods.
- When testing x/y/z-axes the motors (when testing homing), the motors were going in the wrong direction. Again another quick call resolved that. Simply reversing the stepper motor connectors on the Ramps board fixed it. Apparently the wire color assembly in the instruction diagrams (Step 45) were the reverse of what was needed. No big deal, and a simple fix.
- As someone already mentioned, the M3 bolts on the Y carriage will run into the bottom of the frame. I swapped out the 16mm and used 14mm.

This printer kit is extremely affordable. The assembly instructions are excellent. It is a great way to learn how 3D printing works as well as gain hands-on experience building your own.

Looking forward to creating many things as well as tapping the vast resources already out there.
on September 24, 2016
Let me first say, this is my first personal 3d printer. I have experience with others MakerBot, ultimaker etc and including industrial massive 3d printer. This by far has been the best 3d printer for the cost and level. I can say my company's 3d printer is better but your looking at least $100k and honestly it's only better because of the shear size. After receiving it in the mail I spent all day building it. The only issues I had where a damaged stepper motor wire and the controller popped. After contacting reprap guru (seller) about the issue he emailed me back on off hours(Saturday) with a tracking number for a replacement wire and board. It looks amazing and will update this after I make some prints and talk about that.

Update
I've made several prints now, mainly modifications and upgrades. The first couple of prints were very rough and came out horrible, no fault of the printer, but the settings in Repetier(software). After fine tuning the settings and using painters tape on the build plate, the prints came out fantastic. I'm excited to try out different types of filament.

Notes: The instructions online say to use a volt meter to check the voltage of the stepper motor modules. It has you placing positive probe on the potentiometer and the negative probe on the top left pin of the module. I wouldn't recommend this because placing a probe on a tiny pin isn't a easy feat and the likelihood of slipping is high . I would recommend placing the negative probe on the negative terminal of the incoming power. This eliminates the chances of slipping and focus on placing the positive probe on the potentiometer.