Truck Reviews HPC Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on April 1, 2016
While waiting for this book I had the opportunity to try and use a number of the other RHEL7 RHCE guides and found them all rather disappointing. This author's RHEL6 guide was the one I made the most use of when studying for my RHCE, and this guide looks like it's of the same high quality. I don't envy him the task of learning all the changes in RHEL7 and incorporating them into this new book! It looks like he hit most of them.

I was a bit annoyed that he hand-waves past one of the biggest RHEL7 changes-- network interface naming. He notes that one can configure a network interface to be called 'eth0' and then proceeds to use minimally changed examples from RHEL6. I would have liked to have seen more of a RHEL7-ish way of doing things rather than a quick and dirty "keep it like RHEL6" approach, but I also understand that if we waited for this book to be perfect, RHEL8 probably would already be released before the "perfect" book would be.

I've also had trouble finding the online errata. The site they list for downloads and errata doesn't seem to know this book exists yet. Maybe it's still too new.
22 people found this helpful
|1010 comments|Report abuse
on August 15, 2016
The do to book when it comes to getting certified.
Used Mr. Jang's RHEL 6 book to get certified last time and am using this one (RHEL 7) to get updated.
Complete and proven in my case, PDF's included for on the go studying, with no DRM!
10 people found this helpful
on November 3, 2016
The book is great (I have not taken the RHCSA 7 test since I started using this book). I have read other RHCSA 7 books and feel this is the superior book. The information for the different tasks is concise. I really appreciate this fact. I'm not a super smart person so I need things to be explained clearly. My only complain would be the fact that the author provides the minimal amount of information on the different subjects. In order to get a deep dive of certain things, I had to do some self study on the matter. However, the author makes this fact clear from the very beginning. He advises that the book will not cover everything you need to know on a topic and that RHCSA 7 attempts are not for Linux beginners. He also suggests additional study material if you're a newbie or alternate certifications that would be more appropriate for a less experienced Linux user/administrator. If you have a decent Linux background (regardless of distribution) and can move around in the command line and do simple stuff, or have a little bit of Red Hat experience, this book is for you. If you lack an overall understanding of Linux, the command line, directory tree structure, configuration files, etc. this book will certainly teach you things but you'll have to fill the knowledge gap with more "beginner" level study material.
6 people found this helpful
on April 12, 2014
First: This book AND Jang's separate Lab book were the only resources I used for preparation. I've read negative reviews in random places that claim various things are missing from this book....so far everything I've heard folks say is missing...is absolutely in this book. The Lab book doesn't add any knowledge value but the addition of labs and exams is very helpful.

These are not difficult exams but I think folks tend to under-prepare and then blame their research materials.

My approach was to skip the reading and go straight to the labs (using the labs answers as a guide). Once I completed all of the labs, then I read the book. Then I did the labs again. Then I read the book again. Then I did the labs again. I stopped the cycle of insanity once I reached a point where I could complete each lab without having to look anything up and could complete a given objective in under 2 minutes. Time can murder you on these tests. My approach was to be fast, super fast.

For RHCSA, I completed all tasks in under 30 minutes. That left me 2 hours to go back through everything with a fine-tooth comb over and over again and come out with a 300 out of 300 score.

For RHCE, I completed all tasks within the first hour leaving me an additional hour for reboots, and SE Linux relabeling....and then a fine-tooth comb back through all of the tasks to make sure all was well. Got a 260 out of 300.....really wish they broke down your score, it'd be great if I know what area I went wrong in.

Anyway, the point of all that was this.... This book (and possibly the associated Lab Book) are ALL that you need. Don't listen to the negative reviews. I keep mentioning the Lab Book but there are a ton a labs that come with this book and they're good labs, the two RHCSA and two RHCE practice exams are great as well. The only problem is this (not actually something negative about this book) - practice makes perfect and after a while, you realize you're just doing the same labs over and over again - so the Lab Book is nice.

DO NOT GOOGLE FOR LABS. There are plenty of resources out there that try to give you command-line examples of what you need to know or even possible lab ideas. I've found a lot of these to be overboard and way above and beyond what you actually need to know - so they will just have you freaking out and over studying topics that don't even apply. Stick to this book. Do the labs over and again. Read CAREFULLY. Practice outside of the labs. If the book mentions something and you don't recall doing a lab for it....just do it then, try it out.
8 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on February 12, 2017
The book is adequate for RHCE. I didn't need to take RHCSA as I already had RHCSA/RHCE in RHEL 6 and just needed to renew my RHCE. This was my only study source it covered all objectives adequately for RHCE as described by Red Hat. For both RHEL 6 exams I used Jang's RHCSA/RHCE 6 guide plus his lab book. I couldn't wait for his RHCSA/RHCE 7 lab book to be released so I had to do without (the delays in publishing this book and the lab book have been a bit ridiculous). Anyway, though I haven't used the version 7 lab book, I'd recommend waiting for it if you're able. You'll want as much practice material as possible. Also, do all labs, repetitively, on all available minor releases of RHEL. Do NOT focus on one release. Do 7.0, 7.1, 7.3, ... You can screw yourself if you're not familiar with the nuances of each release.
2 people found this helpful
|33 comments|Report abuse
Top Contributor: Petson October 21, 2013
So, I haven't used this for the RHCE yet, but I passed the RHCSA on the first try. Since I can't talk about the RHCSA, let me just talk about my experience with this book.

I had very little prior Linux experience. I read the first 9 chapters (RHCE) sections of this book and got a job as a Jr. Linux Admin. I waited 1 year and then scheduled my exam. I re-read this book, did all the exercises + test questions + two practice exams. I was able to pass well over the required passing score. The practice exams really give you a feel for what type of questions/format to expect.

So, I loved this book and as I study for my RHCE, let me tell you that it lines up well with the Red Hat objectives, just like the RHCSA section did. Mr Jang does a fabulous job of giving you a lot of background and knowledge on a subject, so even if you don't know how to do something, you have a base to build a solution on and know what to look for.

I'd highly recommend this book for studying, and make sure you study for RHCSA objectives that Red Hat provides. If you can do all those fast and well, then you're fine. :)
7 people found this helpful
on June 25, 2014
I am a sysadmin at an ISP and I keep this book on my desk. I've been running RedHat linux off and on since the '90s, starting with the now-defunct Red Hat linux for the desktop and I still find this book to be a great resource on occasion.

This book is excellent. This is not to say it is without its flaws; I find that some of the lab shell scripts are incorrect and/or poorly coded and I think that the author could explain encrypted partitions a little better (in the case of luks, the examples in the book are flawed, incomplete and misleading). I'd also like to see the selinux section expanded upon, since so few people understand what selinux even is, let alone how to properly configure it. The same goes for bind (dns)

However: overall, the book is very good, aside from a few things I could spend a lot of time nitpicking on. This book will NOT take a novice up to RHCE level; you do need to have a solid understanding of basic Linux and general computing concepts to begin with, and having a solid understanding of filesystems and a basic understanding of networking won't hurt either. If you have the basics under your belt it will certainly take you up to the level you need to pass the exams, but your studying doesn't end with that exam; you'll need to keep reading and studying to become competent and comfortable on the job.

This book is designed for one thing: to help you prepare for the RHCSA and RHCE exams, and assumes you have a solid understanding of the basic workings of Linux and/or UNIX. It is very well-written and unlike other Linux books I could mention, Jang doesn't waste ink telling jokes or telling the user to "bribe your admin with a pizza" or any nonsense you might find elsewhere.

There are lots of holes that this book can't possibly fill, because Jang covers a lot of ground in 17 chapters. If you are serious about getting into system administration you'll be reading plenty of books and howto sites covering each of the specific topics. By the way, you can do all of the exercises in this book with one physical box, with three systems in VMs running on that one host.

Oh, and major bonus: this book comes with an electronic copy on PDF. I keep a copy of it on my tablet.
2 people found this helpful
on October 25, 2017
Unsurprisingly, this is another quality release. It covers all of the topics in such a way as to impart understanding of not just the tools, but the use-cases where they would be implemented in a production / enterprise environment. The focus is, as you would expect, on passing the exams, so do not expect this to be a comprehensive review of all things RHEL. That said, it is a fantastic educational and prep tool, and I use it frequently for reference in my day to day job.
One person found this helpful
on September 3, 2016
I waited for many months for this book to come out. I heard Michael Jang's books are the gold standard for RHCSA/RHCE study guides and now I know why. This book was definitely worth the wait. This guide is very thorough and very informative. The included labs are a great way to work learn hands on, which is what these exams are.
3 people found this helpful
on May 14, 2012
I just passed my RHCSA and I used this book as my guide. I will now go forward with the RHCE and report back when that is done.

First let me say that of all the certifications I have this one was the hardest. Remember it's performance based only, no written at all, only what you do.

I believe you should always have more than one study guide/book, no mater what certification you are attempting. It never fails, you just need at least two sources. However, that said, I believe this book is a great cornerstone to build upon. I can highly recommend it to anyone starting down the same path.

The book covers a lot and has great examples, exercises, and labs. I like Jang's writing style; he present material in a no nonsense format that it easy to understand. He moves fast enough for the experienced, but gives hints where to get more if you need it.

There were a few (minor) mistakes in the first nine chapters, but if you understand the material it is not hard to correct them and move on. Additionally, there was a little missing from what I needed to know overall, but that is why you should always use at least two sources...

High praise for this tome!
3 people found this helpful