Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Pink Floyd - Pulse forum

ROGER WATERS was NOT all of FLOYD!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 3, 2006 10:10:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 11, 2006 9:21:46 AM PDT
RegF says:
There seems to be this big MYTH that ROGER WATERS was all of PINK FLOYD.

Nothing could be further from the truth. This band was first founded by SYD . They survived his leaving.

Yes , ROGER was a very important song writer in this band. BUT so was DAVID GILMOUR. Ever heard the CDs MEDDLE [ECHOS + ONE OF THESE DAYS] and WISH YOU WHERE HERE [SHINE ON + WISH YOU WHERE HERE].

DARK SIDE OF THE MOON was written by the whole band.

These 3 CDs + A.M.L.O.R. are the BEST FLOYD CDs in my opinion.

Even the best 3 songs from THE WALL were written with DAVID. COMFORTABLY NUMB , RUN LIKE HELL , has great guitar not bass.

BUT , the live version of THE WALL is the best. They are a group and not just 1 person. ROGER , does do most of the singing.

ROGER had a big EGO problem and acted like a total jerk when he left PINK FLOYD.

When PETER GABRIEL left GENESIS , GENESIS survived with out him. Peter didn't whine constantly about the name GENESIS , did he?

Another big MYTH was that PETER was all of GENESIS , but he wasn't. Neither was PHIL. Most of GENESIS' post GABRIEL stuff was written by BANKS and RUTHERFORD and then the whole band . Check the song writing credits.

All of FOLYD'S members could write music.

And when you think of FLOYD's sound you don't think of ROGER's BASS and his great bass solos [save MONEY]

You think of GILMOURS unigue guitar sound and vocals. You also think of the great key boards.

The great CDs , A.M.L.O.R. and D.B. prove this!
Any other bass player could have been used and was.

ANIMALS was a great ROGER WATERS CD. But even then GLIMOUR CO-WROTE 1 song.

ANIMALS , is a great CD with excellent sounding guitars. Who did you think plays those electric guitars and key boards? Not ROGER.

Most bands have used other musicans for their studio CDs. FLOYD used other musicians for THE WALL , didn't they? Many bands such as THE BEATLES , did as well.

LIVE , many other bands have used other musicans. THE WHO , THE STONES , GENESIS , ect...The list is endless.

PINK FLOYD used , MOVIES , LIGHT SHOWS , PUPPETS live and they were all made by ANOTHER PEOPLE. Not ROGER. Yes some were ROGER'S ideas , like THE PIG , but not all were.

This DVD shows FLOYD didn't really miss ROGER at all.

The FLOYD concept was still their and so was the great KEYBOARDS , the special effects , the light show , the movies , THE PIG , GUITARS/VOCALS mostley by GILMOUR.

You also get many new songs and new MOVIES on these DVDs that ROGER had nothing to do with.

GILMOUR , didn't like the first version of this DVD because the visuals were taken from the video.
He said that for large screens video doesn't translate to well onto DVD , so he wanted the DVD re-done better. That took time to do.

He also had a new CD out.

DAVID GILMOUR , " the voice and guitar of PINK FLOYD "

How true.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2006 7:37:34 AM PDT
Art says:
What's sad, however, is that when you listen to The Division Bell and realize what a complete piece of crap that album is, you know the band was just coasting on its name Especially when you compare it to Roger Waters' brilliant solo cd Amused to Death - now if only Gilmour had been involved in that production.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2006 9:10:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 11, 2006 9:20:34 AM PDT
RegF says:
I guess you will not like the DVD PULSE , then? Since most of the DVD disc # 1 is from the CD , D.D. , as are the concert films.

And the A.M.L.O.R. , CD , is just great. Why not mention that CD?

Roger had nothing to do with those 2 CDs or the PULSE live concert DVD. Funny how the live DVD PULSE , is just so popular and no one seems to be missing ROGER , at all.

I watched FLOYD at Live 8 and ROGER was playing bass. So , what was the big deal? What did ROGER add to the show? His excellent bass solos?

ROGER , forgot that FLOYD was a band that had many other people , writing songs , making puppets , and films.He didn't do everything by himself , although he likes to think that he did.

ROGER , " the oridinal PIG concept "

People don't buy something in these large numbers just for a NAME!

Get , ON THE ISLAND , many people seem to love that CD , as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2006 1:17:40 PM PDT
I agree with o.armi flintstone's post regarding the myth surrounding the preposterous idea that Roger Waters was/is the creative genius behind Pink Floyd. While he's written some memorable material, he certainly hasn't composed their entire catalog. Let's not forget that a good portion of their material was either co-written by David Gilmour or, in the case of Dark Side of the Moon, co-written in parts by the ENTIRE band. The phenomenal vocals and guitars (acoustic, electric and pedal steel), the equally great keyboards and vocals and outstanding drum work have always been handled by David, Richard and Nick (with a few exceptions like on AMLOR where they're SUPPLEMENTED by other studio musicians). At their Live8 appearance, while the rest of the band sounded great, when Roger sang he sounded as if he'd been gargling with battery acid. His bass playing was fine but as they've proved in the past, anyone that they've used in his absence can play his bass lines equally as well and, as is evidenced by Guy Pratts' efforts on the PULSE cd and dvd can sing just as well (and certainly better than Roger these days).
I just wish that Roger would've buried the hatchet long ago and possibly avoided all this acrimony. At this point I'd be happy if David, Nick and Richard would tour as the most unified version of Pink Floyd possible rather than splitting the band in half with Richard touring with David and Nick with Roger. It really doesn't make sense as in the end both audiences get cheated as it becomes a solo show for David and Roger with each band being supplemented by an original member. I espcially feel sorry for the fans that have to sit through a gravel voiced Waters show. Additionally I feel that David's individual recordings far outshine anything that Roger has done on his own but lets face it, we're talking Pink Floyd here and not solo work. The best thing for all Floyd fans concerned is for David, Nick and Richard to continue carrying the Pink Floyd banner and Roger can continue down the avenue that he's chosen for himself.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2006 5:17:07 AM PDT
FZ says:
Please come on people, think about this: In a very first interview given to a Kent based newspaper in the sixties, Richard wright was the one who said something like: "The Pink Floyd sound seems to be created only when we are all together. The sound needs a lot more development before we achieve our goal..." etc etc (I don't have the exact interview right here, so sorry for the "own words" quote).

Pink Floyd isn't Pink Floyd without anyone of the four main members. After Klose's and, much more relevant, Barret's departure The Pink Floyd dveloped the created unique sound that is until now unsurpassed.

I saw both the soloconcert of David in Amsterdam and Roger's in Verona this year. I'm sorry to say, David's concert was a bit of a disappointment with the exception of an absolute perfect performance of Echoes.

It may be that where David is in his life, he is completely happy and content and much of the music of Pink Floyd is made on a basis of some frustration, anger, disappointment, experience, drug or any other out-of-place feeling or emotion that gives an edge to music that could be descriped as the soul and heart of the music. Life experiences are noticable in how heart and mind react... If you're completely in tune, the edge of reasoning can not be felt... Most of his soloworks sound beautifully, but become much more easy to listen to then at the time David and Roger were the driving force behind the creation of the Pink Floyd music.

Richard Wright seemed to have senior moments (David joked about this about himself while fumbling with his guitar) and sounded like an old man. David's voice has since long lacked some reach. It has become more of a recognised style, but the quality of his sound has suffered. Roger's voice sounded great during his concert and I have read article that have labelled his concert as the year's best... All in all, when you do a lot of live performances you are bound to have nights with a voice that is not 100%. It just happens...So no disrespect at all, I will go again anytime to any concert of the members. The comparison of both David and Roger of who is better now seems inappropriate.

You have to realise what life had become after big business took control of the gigantic Pink Floyd. Roger made mistakes, but I don't think we'll ever know all the details. And as far as that's concerned, rightfully so. It is none of our business what has been going on in their fights and discussions. Their privacyrights haven't evaporated with their acquisition of fame and money. In my opinion it's logical that neither one of them were willing to give up the name. But: Whatever happened before, full circle of life may be approaching.

After Live8, hopes and rumours are strong about another joint venture or reunion. It is becoming very likely that a one-off concert will be planned. Last friday, July 14th, could have been a reunion in France at Roger's D.S.o.t.M tour. But David's own solotour is something he wants and needs to do now (I believe at least), and when he feels satisfied after this solo venture, it is possibly the perfect time for a reunion. Of course a could talk giving all of them the possibility to ventilate their views opinion and current state of mind can lift some of the weight of the conflicts of the past.

I don't expect a succesfull new collaboration in making new music, but a concert would already be the greatest accomplishment in personal development and growth. Tickets for that show will be the most sought after ever!!!

Anyway, Pink Floyd shines on in Roger, David, Rick and Nick. They keep many busy thinking, guessing and hoping. As I. Who was right in all these discussions, we'll find out One of these days...!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2006 6:28:02 AM PDT
B. Lane says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2006 10:49:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 16, 2006 10:56:34 AM PDT
RegF says:
Millions of CD and DVD buyers seem to disagree with you , ROGER!

The PULSE DVD is # 1 at Amazon's all over the world , and # 1 on the U.S. BILLBOARD VIDEO CHARTS! It will also be # 1 on charts all over the world.

Both FLOYD tours with out ROGER broke concert records.

GILMOURS new CD , ON THE ISLAND , has already sold millions of CDs.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2006 8:18:27 PM PDT
Tabula says:
First of all A momentary lapse of reason is probably one of the worst Floyd albums along with Ummagumma. Almost every song on that and the divison bell was about Roger. The three of them can deny it all they want but it was about him. Roger came up with the ideas for Dark side, Animals, and the wall. Sure Gilmour did co-write some of the good songs but so did Roger. Gilmour doesn't even write his own lyrics, his wife does it for him. I'm not going aganist Gilmour, I love the guy and love Roger too despite his ego problem. As for the guy who said things about Roger at Live 8, you are obviously a fan of post-Waters which is sad because that's not a good time in the band's history. Roger being there was incredible because of his presence, because the band was back together. Don't think for a second that if Roger was never in the band that Pink Floyd would be anywhere near as good as they are. It was a group effort with Roger, David, Nick, and Rick and we even have to give it to the late Syd Barrett for forming it. PULSE is a good concert but it just doesn't feel the same without Roger when they do DSOTM and other songs that Roger helped create and without him, we wouldn't even be talking about the greatness that is Pink Floyd.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2006 2:51:15 PM PDT
ICEMAN says:
hey, PF is one of the greatest bands in the last four decades , with syd , with roger , with dave etc.....I found the pulse dvd to be very good , along with Dave's live dvd and Roger's live dvd and Roger's 'The Wall in Berlin" dvd and the pompeii dvd....cannot understsnd what all the fuss is about...live 8 was a true once in a lifetime experience , i loved it....pink floyd is just a very great band...and my favorite song that never gets any airtime or concert footage is 'The Gunner's Dream' from the 'The Final Cut"....

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2006 9:11:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 31, 2006 8:11:22 AM PDT
RegF says:
In many millions of peoples opinions , the absents of ROGER on the DVD PULSE , doesn't seem to matter.

Millions of people are still buying it. TRUE?

Millions more would also buy a live DVD of TDSOT , as well. Millions bought those live CDs , even with out , ROGER and his huge EGO.

Millions of people also bought the A.M.L.O.R. , and DIVISION BELL , CDs.

The DIVISION BELL was about ROGER and was the truth.

To me , THE FINAL CUT , was FLOYD's worst CD and who wrote all of that one? ROGER , did!

Sorry , LIVE 8 added nothing to FLOYD and was much ado about nothing.

I have never written that WATERS wasn't important to FLOYD , he was just 1 quarter of FLOYD. As with GENESIS and Peter Gabriel , GENESIS survived very well with out Peter and FLOYD survived very well with out , ROGER!

The sales prove that.

In both bands ALL of the players wrote songs and had ideas. ROGER , was a control freak who wouldn't let any other band member place many songs on every CD since ANIMALS. [Yes Roger , the PIG , was your idea]

GILMOUR's guitar and the key boards are what people think about when listening to FLOYD , not ROGERS bass.

Most of disc # 1 from the DVD PULSE are songs and films that ROGER had nothing to do with. They are among my favourites.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2006 7:47:04 AM PDT
I been a Floydian for over 35 years now, so I'm going to throw in my 2 cents; I've seen PF in concert in '77, '86, & '94 and I have yet seen any band perform "live" like the PINK FLOYD! No one even comes close ,not the STONES not U2, nobody!In making that statement; the '94 tour was the best and biggest stage production I'd seen ever. I will admit without Waters they due lack the irony in the songwriting dept. but on the other side Waters as a solo artist lacks "THE SOUND"! I'll take "THE SOUND" anyday , not saying that Gilmour is not a songwriter in fact he has writen some good songs. The DVD is really great stuff but until you see PF "live",in person you haven't heard PF.I've seen Waters without the PF and PF without Waters and I'll pay to see PF anyday ,anytime with or without Waters.This DVD may be the last bit of the legendary PF ever ,so everybody ought to be thankful that it was released at all!We can all just hope that there will be another FLOYD tour someday, before we die! One closing thought, personally I own more David Gilmour CD's than Roger Waters CD's and that's a fact ;Jack!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2006 8:50:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2006 9:17:21 AM PDT
RegF says:
DAVID GILMOUR , " the voice and guitar of PINK FLOYD "

How true and it was proven on the DSOT video/CDs , the PULSE video/DVD and 2 excellent post WATER's CDs. GOD , I am sure glad that there was no FINAL CUT # 2. THE FINAL CUT , sounds like out takes from the depressing CD , THE WALL.

WHINE , WHINE and more WHINE is that all you know how to do on record and in interviews , ROGER? BORING!

ANIMALS , was Roger's best CD [with 1 GILMOUR co-write and the CDs best song]

But you can't do the same themes over and over again. Notice who plays the great guitar and key boards on that CD?

WRIGHT/GILMOUR , IS the FLOYD sound. Not ROGER's bass , which to be honest is not that difficult to play.

I saw Roger with ERIC CLAPTON on his first solo tour , THE PROS and CONS.

ERIC , is a great guitar player BUT he can't do GILMOUR , at all. Songs like , HAVE A CIGAR , just didn't cut it , with out Gilmour. Gilmour , also has a better voice than Roger , does.

The public has spoken with the massive CD/DVD/VIDEO sales and massive concert ticket sales for FLOYD dispite ROGER'S huge ego propaganda!

GILMOUR/MASON/WRIGHT , " winners by a knock out "

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2006 4:07:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2006 4:08:02 PM PDT
o.armi flintstone, you're not being fair to Roger Waters at all.

True, Roger wrote The Wall and The Final Cut, both poor albums, but he also wrote such classics as Money, Brain Damage, Pigs, and Have a Cigar (none of these cowritten). On the other hand, other than his new songs (of which I only like Learning to Fly, Coming Back to Life, and High Hopes), all of Gilmour's best songs were cowritten. Clearly, Waters is the better songwriter (although his last albums weren't that good, I admit).

Pink Floyd's three worst albums were in my opinion Ummagumma, The Final Cut, and A Momentary Lapse of Reason. As you can see, both Waters and Gilmour are evenly represented here.

Waters' solo album "Amused to Death" is excellent, though it wasn't very popular. Both A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell, Pink Floyd's two albums of that time period, pale in comparison, in my opinion.

Of course P*U*L*S*E is reaching #1. I expected it to do as well. o.armi flintstone, no need to repeat that fact. Statistics are meaningless in comparing musicians, and there's a simple explanation for why Pink Floyd's concerts are so much more popular that Waters' - it's PINK FLOYD. Yes, names DO sell.

I have to admit that Gilmour's SOYCD is excellent, much better than Waters'. On the other hand, when I heard his version of Wish You Were Here (one of my favorite Floyd songs BTW) it was horrible, sounding much worse than Waters' version. The rest of the songs were about even between Waters and Gilmour.

The fact that Waters, a bassist, wrote most of Pink Floyd's songs isn't that hard to believe. Hmm, what other bands have been led by their bassists? Ever heard of a band called The Beatles? ;)

Yes, Waters had a huge ego. I'm not denying that. But that doesn't say anything about his music.

It may sound like I'm on Waters' side, but I'm not. All I'm saying is that o.armi flintstone's arguments are completely groundless. In my opinion, Pink Floyd just doesn't sound right when any of its members are gone. Without Roger's bass, or Gilmour's guitar, or Wright's keyboard, or Mason's drums ... it's just not Pink Floyd. Just my two cents.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2006 1:22:44 PM PST
This is showbiz, this is not a real show. Go and see Roger Waters´s In the Flesh.. look for the differences. A set list with balls, not this "Greateast hits". Gilmour have no voice, Mason is crippled and Rick his there because they need at least three Floyd members, because they fired him. Lasers, lights, effects... Ok. Fine, but this is sad, for the old Pink Floyd.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2006 1:28:27 PM PST
Did you notice that, in most cases, # 1 in the charts are really crap? That´s because people are so dumb... Do I have to give u a short list?

Harry Potter, Madonna, Michael Jackson, and the list go longer.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2006 2:20:01 PM PST
The Police... it´s all I have to say.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2006 11:06:36 AM PST
Tim taylor says:
Hmmm... I attended both solo tours for Gilmour and Waters this year. I don't care what anyone thinks... the sound and presentation at these shows nailed the coffin shut... David was spectacular while Roger sounded like a cover band that does a mediocre job. Can't wait for the DVD of Davids' On An Island tour. Won't buy Rogers' DVD when he makes it from the 2007 tour.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2007 2:40:41 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 1, 2007 12:11:53 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2007 7:52:47 PM PST
RegF says:
Not in FLOYD's case. The Beatles have sold allot of records as well.

No one does FLOYD's guitar sound better than GLIMOUR does , not even ERIC CLAPTON.

I have seen CLAPTON and WATERS on tour together.I was so disappointed.

So are you know saying that any one who likes FLOYD with out WATERS is dumb.I don't think so.

FLOYD has already proven that people don't miss WATERS all that much.

GILMOUR , has also done better than ROGER as a solo artist.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2007 8:19:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2007 8:23:24 PM PST
RegF says:
Roger was NOT Paul McCartney.

The Beatles also had JOHN LENNON , as well.

I have never written that ROGER was not an important song writer to FLOYD , just that the other members helped write allot of great songs as well.

When I listen to FLOYD I think of GLIMOUR's unigue guitar sound and the WRIGHT's keyboards. NOT Roger's bass playing [except maybe for MONEY].

GLIMOUR's latest solo CD says it best for me.

" the voice and guitar of PINK FLOYD "

Roger's bass lines are quite simple and can be played by almost any one.

Why did WATERS get so many of his songs on the last couple of FLOYD's CDs? Roger , demanded it that way.

Was ROGER fair with his former band mates when he left FLOYD!?

NO! He showed no modesty and/or class mounting his own propagana media blizt insulting all of his former band mates and even suing them.

I didn't see PETER GABRIEL act like that when he left GENESIS. People thought GENESIS were done as well.

Those people were wrong and so was ROGER.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2007 10:01:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2007 10:26:46 AM PST
wow, all you people need to get on with your lives. I saw Floyd live with ('74)and without('94) Waters...truthfully, his absence wasn't really noticed as far as the performance and execution of the material goes...I think Pratt actually added more life to the performance and was more animated. But honestly, people, complaining about Water's being absent is senseless; might as well complain about Syd B being absent too...he was actually more of the soul and founder of the Floyd...but the fact is Floyd was a great band from the 60's and 70's, and save a couple songs from Division Bell, most of their work came from that era. That's great. They sounded just fine playing those old songs...ENJOY IT! Sheesh, at least we don't have to watch Floyd impersonators like we do the Beatles and Elvis! Soon, all these guys will be gone and you'll be left with nothing. Enjoy the fact that these guys can still sound close to what they did years and years ago and be happy with that. What is accomplished with all this bantering back and forth about who the "real" Floyd were...enjoy what you have you goofs!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2007 6:41:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2007 6:42:11 PM PST
C. Rinaldi says:
I saw Waters do DSOTM last fall w/ N.Mason at MSG, and it was a great, great show. I have no idea what these people are talking about. Neither DG or RW are the same as Pink Floyd. Face it...it over Johnny. Turn the page. My preference is to see the artist who largely wrote the music perform it. Others in the DG camp disagree, and they have that right. But without RW there would be no Floyd; everything unique about that band's heyday was b/c of RW. That's a fact.

And who cares how many people bought Pulse DVDs (the Pink Floyd brand is a powerful name); I'm sure even more buy will buy the next crap from Jessica Simpson or whatever this year's flavor of the year is.

If you like PF enough to read these posts, do yourself a favor and see RW in 2007. No, its not PF, but go ahead and enjoy a great show.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2007 5:56:49 AM PDT
dvdtrkr says:
You can hear on Roger's and David's solo projects as well as the post Roger material what each is strong and weak in.

A lot of people wish that Clapton hadn't done Pros and Cons, and Roger's chided David over Polly writing the lyrics on "Division Bell".

"Animals" was primarily Roger's writing but it still sounded like a band that could work together.

David toured under the Pink Floyd name because Roger said he'd never be able to pull it off. He was planning on working on a solo career, but the challenge (and his frustration at playing to less than full capacity crowds in THEATERS not even arenas..now it's a different story) got him motivated.

He wanted Roger to be part of PULSE, Roger said no.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2007 8:27:58 AM PDT
D. McMichen says:
You can not possibly be serious when stating that Ummagumma and A Momentary Lapse of Reason were "the worst" albums ever made. If you really think this way then you obviously do not know the real Pink Floyd. They are allabout solos and classical mixed with rock and some craziness here and there. That is who they are and if you can't see that with Shine on Crazy Diamond or Wish You Were Here or even Dark Side of the Moon well then you never will get the big picture.

Pink Floyd together or not will always be the best band that ever lived!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2007 11:04:23 AM PDT
RegF says:
And by the way , WISH YOU WHERE HERE , was mostly a GLMOUR , song. The music was all his.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pink Floyd - Pulse forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  Jul 3, 2006
Latest post:  Oct 30, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions