- File Size: 1476 KB
- Print Length: 192 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publisher: Not So Noble Books political thriller Blair Labour resurrection drama; first year of hell under the Tories edition (July 1, 2014)
- Publication Date: July 1, 2014
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00CKY7XVS
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #939,103 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
RUIN NATION: a post-apocalyptic thriller you won't want to put down Kindle Edition
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
The narrator Hugo Jupiter has had a hard life, with his mother exploding in front of him, and his father killed in a mental hospital. Having survived a war, he's now forced to work as a puppet-maker, stitching up the bodies of dead politicans to appease the masses. All the while he is quietly plotting his own ascent to power.
The plot moves in a dash through comically grotesque set-pieces. There's little human goodness or hope here; but there's a lot of sardonic humour. Almost every character is vile or broken. Perhaps this is part of Hugo Jupiter's madness. He hates God; yet as the book's narrator he has become Godlike. The world of Ruin Nation is entirely as he describes it.
Dan Carver's prose is tightly written and constantly inventive. His sentences often have a musical quality. I found myself reading great passages of Ruin Nation out loud. I particularly liked the character descriptions, for example:
"The charming receptionist with the dead seagull eyes and too much makeup introduces them to - or rather points at - Doctor Holubec, a swarthy Eastern European with a handshake of respectful pressure. But his courteous smile hangs beneath a blank, blue gaze. It's a look that speaks of war crimes and a first family lost to a mass grave. Whatever he loved is long gone. He prefers scientific experiments to people now. They only die within set parameters."
Ruin Nation is a mini-masterpiece of Gothic humour. It's macabre and sardonically funny. Carver is a better writer than perhaps he realizes. I look forward to reading more from him.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I made it through the first 20 pages, then started reading fast, skipped pages, chapters, and deleted it from my kindle.Published on March 9, 2014 by Paulus
I couldn't get past the first few pages, it was far too disjointed for my taste and I've been reading good science fiction for a very long time, and this is the first time I've had... Read morePublished on October 7, 2013 by Marianne Luige
This probably would have been better as a series. Carver is close to creating a great post-apocalypse story with the Anti-Hero. Read morePublished on September 30, 2013 by David P Donato
This book is so disjointed I couldn't get involved in the story at all. I tried to persevere through a few more chapters, but finally gave up and deleted it from my kindle.Published on September 15, 2013 by Bob Church
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Humor & Satire > Humorous
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Cyberpunk
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Genetic Engineering
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Post-Apocalyptic
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Humor & Satire > General Humor
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Humor & Satire > Satire
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Cyberpunk
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Dystopian
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Genetic Engineering
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Post-Apocalyptic