Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports

The Rachel Morgan Series Gets Worse with Each Book

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2010 10:50:07 AM PST
BeadCatz says:
I made it to book 7 ONLY because the last 5 books were given to me. I really can not understand how so many people can give such bad writing 4 and 5 stars.

I continued reading because I wanted to see what happens. Believe it or not, it is a decent story "idea" it's the execution of the story that is so bad.

Rachel is the the most dish rag character I have ever seen and she gets worse with each book. The only decent character, Kisten, was killed off. Ivy is obnoxious and Jenks is starting to grate on the nerves in White Witch Black Curse.

I really don't understand how Ms Harrison's publisher puts this stuff in print the way it is written.

I take it the author has a fixation of her own about her hair because every other page has at least one mention of a character's hair. This smacks of brand new, first time author. So what's the deal, no one else would be able to get this kind of stuff published.

Plus, add in the misspelled words, plots that don't go anywhere and completely, unlikable characters (mainly the heorine) and you have to wonder how the publisher is still in business.

Come on Ms Harrison, read the critisim as well as the cudos for your books and then read the books yourself. I would "bet" you would see all the flaws.

Only way I will continue this series is if I get the books for free. (Still can't finish White Witch, Black Curse....Blahh!!) If I don't get them for free, no big loss.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2010 11:03:28 AM PST
neither is the loss of someone whose never actually purchased a book to an author/actual fan of the series a big deal.

Posted on Apr 26, 2011 9:04:11 AM PDT
R. McClure says:
I've bought The majority of these books and only stopped buying them when BMS came out because I couldn't see spending $8 to read about a main character that I really didn't like.

The loss of someone who doesn't pay for the books may not matter but I do pay for them, and I stopped reading because of the very reasons mentioned.

Posted on May 18, 2011 5:14:33 AM PDT
L L. says:
I am totally addicted to these books. I will actually not know what to read when I don't have one to look forward to. I think they get better with each book.

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 5:04:24 PM PST
Reh says:
I am completely enjoying these books and if I weren't I certainly wouldn't post what I consider rude comments. Karma...

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 11:40:58 PM PDT
Estelle says:
I look forward to reading each one. If you don't like them then maybe this is not the genre/author for you? I thought after the last one I would not be intrigued but now I am addicted to A Perfect Blood. Either it is your thing or it isn't. I have not found any misspelled words at all and I have enough credits to have a minor in English...and yeah I nitpick (though not on internet reviews or posts..people don't get paid for that so I don't care). I can think of many other fantasy series (Vampire Acadamy anyone?) that have much worse writing. I think if you have gotten this far you will not be dissapointed.

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 9:02:38 AM PDT
S. Thomas says:
I just found this discussion and have to agree with the initial post. I purchased all of the books up until Kisten was killed off. I found that I reached a point where I just didn't think that Rachel evolved as a character. She kept making the same type of stupid mistakes. I also could not stand Ivy. If a character needed to killed off, I put her at the top of the list. I noticed that my focus had shifted from Rachel. I didn't enjoy reading about her.

If you want a really good series try the Magic series by Ilona Andrews. It is one of the best UF that I have read and I love the genre.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Nov 29, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Black Magic Sanction
Black Magic Sanction by Kim Harrison (Paperback - 2010)
4.4 out of 5 stars (375)