Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Magic forum

Radio Nowhere

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 166 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 5, 2007 9:41:25 AM PDT
take403 says:
Aside from the cover, what do you think of the single "Radio Nowhere?" To me, it sounds musically like a song from the mid-1980's with a touch of "It's Hard to Be a Saint in the City." In other words, I like it. I'm not sure what it's about but it does seem to be making some sense. A true fan of any band or artist can find good in even their personally least favorite albums. I personally like the Boss the best with the E Street Band, but I also like Nebraska and Ghost of Tom Joad. Anyways, enough from me. Let's hear what you think of the single (if you haven't heard it, be sure to check it out here before https://www.amazon.com takes it away).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2007 12:46:18 PM PDT
A. Cady says:
I can't pass judgement on the whole album until I hear it once or twice, but "Radio Nowhere" right now honestly isn't a favorite of mine. Bruce's vocals sound kind of muddy and droning on this one, but I like its message, seeming like an indictment of soulless FM channels these days like "The Jack". Thank goodness I have Sirius satellite so I can hear Little Steven's channel whenever I want.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2007 12:53:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 5, 2007 1:03:06 PM PDT
bill28 says:
Do you know why it sounds like the 80's? It is becuase the lick is lifted straight from " Message in a Bottle". Poor Andy Summers, another great lick with no writing credit and no money...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2007 1:05:41 PM PDT
kenxi2112 says:
This song rules! Gave me goosebumps the first time through - 80's throwback? - no way!!!!!!!! The Boss is back in true form!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2007 4:55:34 PM PDT
A very, very commercial track, good stadium rock and good radio track...but for truly virtuoso Springsteen I'd recommend the Live in Dublin album. Having said that, I enjoyed the track and look forward to the album. Ultimately Springsteen, while having his ups and downs, never disappoints.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2007 7:01:56 PM PDT
For me, I grew up with Bruce (and Southside Johnny as a matter of fact). Their music was the passion of that age for me. I bought ALL Bruce's albums through Tunnel of Love. Then I stopped.Without the E-Street Band, the folksy stuff didn't do it for me. Songs were interesting, but not what I wanted loaded in the six pack in my car.

Believe me, I know doing the same stuff forever and ever is boring as an artist such as Bruce. And I can't critisize him for venturing out. And wouldn't. The Dublin album outakes don't do nothing for me. If I want Pete Seeger, I listen to Pete Seeger (which I do).

But the new song, Radio Nowhere, with Steve and Patti caught my attention. I said to myself, wow, that's the Bruce I grew up with. I'm now interested. But won't buy the CD till I can sample the tracks.

Forget the album cover unless you're some one who takes it to bed with them. Has he gone back to his roots? If so, I will buy again. And others will buy his folkesy stuff, no problem there.

Everyone likes what they like.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2007 7:15:01 PM PDT
G. Harrison says:
Totally agree - I watched the video and the song really rocks! For me, this suggests a possible return to Bruce's rock roots - which is very timely. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate and respect his musical repertoire and versatility but honestly, I was getting a little bored of the folksy stuff. It sounded like he was slowly fading away.

I'm looking forward to hearing more from the album before I decide to buy. If this single is any indication of what's to come, this could truly be Bruce's long awaited and well deserved comeback.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2007 9:27:54 AM PDT
867-5309

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2007 11:21:16 AM PDT
Boss Fan says:
Yeah, neither of you guys would want to risk spending a whopping ten bucks on an album of someone you consider yourself a fan without hearing it first. Jeez.... Welcome to the reason classic rock acts don't get attention for their new stuff, radio play and why their albums sell a fraction of what their heyday material did. And no, it's not because the material is lesser than the old stuff, often it is far better, it's foolish statements from stodgy fogies like "well, I like the old stuff," but they never give the new stuff a chance. How are you going to like anything unless you buy it and spin it a few times? Sometimes songs need to grow on you. If you bought "Devils and Dust" listened to 2 minutes of each song, skipped to the next track and said, "well that's all pretty boring," then what do you expect to get from it? It took me several listens of each song through and through, now its one of favorites. If you see something and go 'oh, that rocks, can't wait, but I think I need to hear more of the album first,' well, lets just say I hope I never get to a point where I am that blasé about an artist I love releasing new material, especially material you say you've been dying for him to get back to doing. Also, both of you are forgetting "The Rising" was an E-street album and not folk music (so it's not as if since the mid-90s he's just been releasing folk variations). Or did you not buy that album either because every song wasn't a radio single?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2007 2:33:01 PM PDT
T. Smith says:
This new album is going to be great. I also prefer the E-Street stuff, and although I bought The Rising. . . I could not listen to it, the songs would just break my heart every time. Touches too close to home. But that is what I've always loved about Bruce. He hits me right in the soul with his lyrics. Radio Nowhere is a great tune indicting the state of radio (terrestrial and satellite) and our media-based society. Thank god Bruce is back!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2007 7:58:10 PM PDT
I was a fan back in the day. When I was young. I'm not a "fan" of anybody now. Now I am only afan of local sports teams. With music, if I like it, I buy it. I bought everyone of his albums through Tunnel of Love. Then I stopped. I didn't buy "The Rising".

Bruce is a millionaire, hundreds of millions. I a thousandaire. I'm sure, he understand if I wait to hear a sampling of the cuts. And I'm sure he'd chuckle at my post. That's the kind of guy he is. He'll understand.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2007 8:37:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2007 8:38:40 PM PDT
Boss Fan says:
LOL. How great then for your local sports team that they have never disappointed you to the degree Springsteen did that you stopped lining their pockets. Hmmm... a leap of faith on a ten dollar CD that might just grow on you and continue to reward you for years, far beyond the worth of that 10 bucks.. you'd think that logic would be perfect for a thousandaire, but ball game tickets for a game that is over once it ends, and multiple ones a year at that, not to mention the hours spent watching them apparently more easily coincide with your thrifty lifestyle. I guess only people who make Bruce-size money should buy his CDs, lest they may actually end up disappointed and be out all that hard earned dough. Is that how you think when your team loses or doesn't deliver an exciting game?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2007 6:57:56 PM PDT
I don't line the sport teams profits, except when I take my kid to experience the thrill and excitement of being at the game. Me, I'd rather watch the game on TV. I do spend money on concerts. This year, Eric Clapton (fantastic show), George Thorghgood (sp?)(a blast, will see him again next year, The Police(coming in November). Opie & Anthony's Traveling Virus (unbelievable, I laughed so hard, two years back to back).

I own over 600 albums, cassettes, CD's. Covering all gendres, mostly rock, but also classical, country western, cajun, blues (a lot of blues), soul, big band, dixie land. I got so much music, I'm still a thousandaire. I've done my part to support starving artists and their families. To me, when you make the six cd's in my car, you've produced a great album (I've bought CD's where I already have the vinyl or cassette.

What have I got in there now? Aerosmith-Honkin on Bobo (longest consecutive sitter in the six pack, ever). Essential Hendrix, The Very best of Dr. John. Willie Nelson-Milk Cow Blues. Susan Tedeschi- Wait for Me (sucker for the blusey local girl) and the perinnial returner to the six pack The Soundtrack from Pulp Fiction (love Quentins soundtracks).

The world of music is bigger than Bruce. He would be the first to tell you that. There is soo much good stuff out there, you got to expand your horizens. Ever here of Sidney Bichet? Billie Holiday, Leadbelly? You got to look for them but they made some good stuff.

So what's your story Boss Fan, are you a commissioned salesman for Bruce or just seeking his hand in marriage? Expand your horizons, unless your a hundreds of millionaire, you just can't place your bets on one horse. You'll miss so much.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2007 11:06:31 PM PDT
Jim says:
Radio Nowhere is more like an album track than a single (do artists still release singles?). I don't see a strong melody here and emotionally it doesn't reach the places that Bruce is capable of. Lack's the magic implied in the title of the album. I hope there's at least a couple of better songs on the album than this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2007 11:59:13 PM PDT
Roadgod says:
Oh, there's magic here all right.He makes your money disappear while ripping licks off other songs and concepts from other singer/songwriters.His next single should be Singer/Songwriter Nowhere.

Joe....There is no reasoning with Boss Fan.If Bruce recorded himself taking a dump and released it as a single, they'd think it was the greatest track ever.They don't realize that sometimes an artist misses the mark with his fans.Sometimes a song they think is good stinks.

Boss Fan can't take any bad reviews. Bruce can do no wrong in his eyes. They also know very little about the music business and their explanation of record sales is way off. I've sat in on meetings at Sony and if they get their way, the days of making an album will be gone. You will get more cookie cutter rip off garbage if they get their way.

As it is, Sony is ripping off their artists on the download royalties hoping it plays out in court in their favor so they can treat the downloads like albums and get more money. The music business has been in a very sad state for a long time as business and art don't mix.

I too hope there is something of substance on this album.I'd hate to see a singer/songwriter such as Bruce have an album that will be stamped a rip off throw away because basically that's what this single is.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2007 8:57:29 AM PDT
Italoc says:
Music Business? What business is there that treats "loyal customers" like Bruce Fans like this.
The 28th of November only Italian date for the "promo tour" was sold out in a few in a few minutes even if:
- the prices were outrageous (140 USD for the best tickets, over 100 USD for the worse)
- the Internet site selling tickets crashed (as usual) several times before being "sold out" in minutes
- In Milan where the concert will be only 1500 were put on sales, less then 10% of capacity. Some people slept in front of the shop to be sure to get one - people who managed to get tickets had to wait at least 3 hours in front of shops.
- A new breed of internet profiteers were already touting tickets on line few weeks ago with 200% mark up. Best tickets were on sales for over 400 USD.
This is no way to promote an album, more like a "magic" formula for pissing off loyal fans.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2007 10:26:39 AM PDT
Boss Fan says:
Joe... Dude, we are talking about Springsteen and this new album here, not any other artist or Opie and Anthony. So why would you question why I seem to be talking solely about him. You hadn't mentioned anyone else's name up till now either (oh, you too must wanna merry Bruce - what a stupid thing to say).

I haven't counted in a while but I'm sure I have more than 600 different CDs (5,000 + songs on the computer I see here), all from very different artists. I'm excited about this release like I would be when any of my favorite artists is set to release a new album and I came onto Amazon and began engaging in discussions with others, as often happens when there are discussions going on about products I am excited for. It doesn't have to be anything from Bruce.

So I have to be a shill for Bruce or want to marry him because I question why someone won't buy the new Cd? Yes, I am a big Springsteen fan and will buy most anything he puts out. He has earned that loyalty from me over the years by constantly rewarding my expectations with each album and tour. Do expect everyone to be that passionate about him? Of course not. I have friends who "don't get it." Do you think I spend all my time arguing Bruce with them?

My problem with you is that you keep coming up with every excuse in the world not to buy this album, yet you took the time to come into one of these discussion pages. You say you are not a fan and act like you lost track of Bruce in the 80s, so what the hell are you even doing here now? I wouldn't be in the Richard Marx discussion page. I liked him 20 years ago but haven't thought two seconds about him in probably just as many years.

Second, you can't seem to keep your story straight. First you say you are not a fan of anything but your local sports team, but then you give me a list of a bunch of music you clearly spend money on, so that's not the reason you won't buy this CD. Then you allude to the price, but you just said you have over 600 CDs, so that can't be the reason. You also said you didn't like folk-Bruce. Okay, no biggie, except this is an E-Street Band record, so it should be right up your alley. So was "The Rising" but you didn't buy that either.

So what exactly is your deal, Joe? That's all I'm getting at here. I don't really care whether or not you own this album. You came into this discussion and now you're bent out of shape because I'm actually questioning you about the topic you signed up to discuss.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2007 1:11:04 PM PDT
Boss Fan says:
None of that is Springsteen's fault, pal. It pisses me off when trying to get tickets too and they are all sold out and you know half of the went to scalpers while I couldn't even get a hit on even the worst seat, yet I was there at the on-sale time logged on and ready to go. That, however, is the way it goes and until ticketmaster or whoever else figures out a better system we are stuck with it. That has nothing to do with Bruce promoting the album or rewarding the fans. What should he do? How exactly would he fairly and accurately make sure only true fans have access to tickets?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2007 5:53:23 PM PDT
Thanks Roadgod, for your support on this issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2007 6:25:56 PM PDT
First you implied I was cheap by not shelling out $10 bucks before sampling the other tracks. It was my feeling, that based on his other recent stuff, to me I might as shell out $10 bucks for a drink coaster.

You say "Yes, I am a big Springsteen fan and will buy most anything he puts out"

Why do say most, and not "all" then. I only came up with one excuse. I want to sample the tracks. I sampled the other tracks on the "The Rising" and they did nothing for me.

The reason I ended up at this forum, is because Amazon sent me an e-mail saying I might like this based on my purchases. I checked it out when I saw it was with the e-street band. I liked the SAMPLE! When I can sample the rest I may buy it. I posted in response to the three or four posts prior to mine, none of which were from you.

Then you jump on me like you're Bruce's mother, saying I'm cheap. Until you said "Dude" I thought you were a woman, picking apart my sentences and conviluting them in every imaginable fashion in your love struck idolitry.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2007 7:09:17 PM PDT
Boss Fan says:
Oh, don't flatter yourself Joe. You obviously just can't handle anyone who disagrees with or doesn't like your post. I think the questions I posed, given what you wrote and said, were not the least bit out of line. I was just trying to understand why someone would sound so contradictory on the issue of buying a new album. And you did yourself no favors with your second post which then made it sound like you would gladly shell out money for other things, but still, not this album. You are in a discussion forum about this very thing, so I'm the dick for questioning you on the issue or expecting you to discuss or explain yourself? And, allow me to correct myself and go on record striking "most" for "all." Jeez, talk about nit-picking. And, fyi, maybe you should check out some of Roadgod's other posts around this forum before you go getting all chummy. He is just one of these guys with too much time on his hands trying to bait people with smarmy insults and little one-liners he thinks are so funny (can I hear that damn Nick Nolte line one more time, roadgod?). At least I'm trying to engage in actual debate and discourse. Sorry if it gets you all pissy.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2007 8:18:21 PM PDT
very well said boss fan....i buy ALL of his cd's too ...and yes, a lot of the songs need time to grow on you...but ultimately they DO grow on you...the live in dublin dvd is amazing and i never thought i'd like it...even though i saw them in concert. I'll continue to buy bruce's cd's even if i hadn't heard a note of it beforehand...and i've yet to be disappointed...keep the faith :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2007 8:25:44 PM PDT
Roadgod says:
Me have too much time on my hands? Who exactly is it that is writing the Magna Carta to every response here? I think it's funny as heck that Bruce looks like the Nick Nolte mug shot on the cover and it must be a great line as even you repeated it.

Joe, he wishes he was Springsteen's mother. I remember sitting by her for the Bruce Springsteen tribute at Carnege Hall and she's a great lady and even she knows her son can do wrong. I think I saw Boss Fan after the show sniffing the seat cushion where Burce sat after the show.

The fact is that Boss Fan is trying to pass off opinion as fact and we all know that is bull. The fact is that the lick is ripped off. The video concept is the same that he did with Jesse Malin a few months ago. The song is what Sony hoped would regenerate his slumping sales from his last few efforts that went over like a fart in church.

Again, you can go back and forth with Boss Fan but they'll never rely on facts for their point. If you give them facts, you have "too much time" on your hands. The funniest is their last post! Boss Fan says, "You obviously just can't handle anyone who disagrees with or doesn't like your post." Look in the mirror lately?

I think this would be a good time to reference Jack Nicholson, "You can't handle the truth!"

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2007 8:51:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 11, 2007 8:58:59 PM PDT
Boss Fan says:
Hi. I'm roadgod. Look at me. I'm so in the industry. Let me tell how much of an industry insider I am, and all the people I know. I have all the inside info so everything I say is fact and if you disagree with my I'll just say I heard it in a corporate meeting or while sitting next to Springsteen's mother. You're full s%#t! And for the record I never bashed any one for their opinion or got bent out of shape because they disagreed with me (just the smarmy haters who write little insulting quips they think are so funny but have nothing to back them up), and show me where I passed off opinion as fact. And if it seems like I'm writing too much for you, hey, sorry, I like to write. More typical crap from a someone who is obviously just jaded for some reason (If you ever had any actual affiliation with Sony, it probably ended with firing you butt; and if you really knew anything about what they thought of his sales, you'd know they had no mutiplatinum aspirations for a stripped down folk album and an album of Pete Seger cover tunes. Not to mention the fact that after both they went and signed him to a reported $100 million deal. Yep, they must really be disappointed with that guy). Speaking of hypocrites, you're the guy who keeps bashing Bruce, yet you seem to turn up at a lot of things involving him, from these discussion boards to tribute concerts. Yeah, that's they type of guy I call a troublemaker. Nice played-out, fifteen year-old "Few Good Men" reference there too. Ya got me!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2007 9:54:21 PM PDT
Roadgod says:
Bashing Bruce? No, telling the truth about his latest ripped off single. So where do you try and pass off opinion as fact, well, try this quote...

"Welcome to the reason classic rock acts don't get attention for their new stuff, radio play and why their albums sell a fraction of what their heyday material did. And no, it's not because the material is lesser than the old stuff, often it is far better,it's foolish statements from stodgy fogies like "well, I like the old stuff," but they never give the new stuff a chance."

That's not only trying to pass off your opinion as fact, but also far from the truth.

You can't handle anyone not liking this song. You can't handle when people call you out on your opinion and show you why it's flawed. You won't even address how he ripped off the lick in the song and then try and pass it off as his.

In your book, it's ok for people to have opinions as long as they meet yours. But in my book, just because Bruce is a great singer/songwriter, he will not get a pass from me for blatently ripping off other artists in hopes of milking his fans. He felt the reality of the dung he did recently when he wasn't selling tickets anywhere but the east coast and even in Europe where they usually crave American music, no one was coming out.

I'm also a fan of Bon Jovi but he too is now milking his fans with $600 fan club tickets to his 10 show stand. I, as a fan, will not stay silent as apologists like you refuse to see the truth. Bruce should be paying royalties for this song it's so blatantly obvious.

The only "magic" in this single is that people like you will give him a pass.

Finally, I wouldn't work for Sony or any other record company. They haven't a clue as to how to run anything and it's nothing more then a bunch of cronies reaping the rewards of the artists. They haven't kept up with the times and now they are paying for it. Remember, these same companies that you think are so smart also paid Mariah Carey $24 million to walk only to have her come back with the right people around her and have a number 1 single and album. So to pay Bruce $100 million, I think Bruce got short changed.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Magic forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  166
Initial post:  Sep 5, 2007
Latest post:  Sep 30, 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Magic
Magic by Bruce Springsteen (Audio CD - 2007)
4.0 out of 5 stars (474)