Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 222 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 234 reviews
on August 5, 2016
You know what, I learned just about everything I needed to know from this kit and was able to install this system successfully right away.

I will say though, that to me RainBird might just provide too many nice products here, and the system is very easy. When I went to expand on this kit with other brands from the local hardware and garden stores, the additional pieces were not as obvious as to what they are or how they integrate into the system.

The variations of the external products is vast, and this system almost made it too easy to think that everything is as simple to use and understand as this kit.

You know how you go to an interview and they ask for your weaknesses and you give them some BS like, "I make kits that are so easy that buying other companies products seems confusing and difficult in comparison." Yeah, its like that.
review image review image
on June 27, 2016
I purchased this kit to water my vegetable garden. In fact, I loved it so much I purchased another kit to water my landscaping in front of my house. The kit is easy to assemble and can be configured to your specifications. The tool makes it easy to insert the barbed fittings into the 1/2" pipe. I would suggest leaving the pipe out in the sun before trying to put on the 1/2" connectors as they are difficult to push on cold pipe but rather easy once it is heated up.
Now that I have used it for some time, I have had two failures. The first was one of the barbed emitters popped out of the 1/2" line. The second was the 1/4" pipe got a hole in it. These problems are easily fixed, but would be nice if they did not happen at all as not noticing it for a couple days may waste a lot of water.
on July 2, 2017
The system is very nice, and quite suitable for small gardens. I set up a 4x8 foot vegetable garden, plus a slightly smaller flower garden, and I had plenty of hose and fittings left over. (Except elbows. I could have used more elbows. But they are available at good prices as an add-on item at Amazon.)

The bad news is that the fittings for the faucet tap were of poor quality, or else had somehow been damaged in warehouse---they are plastic, and excess heat could have caused damage. The fittings were very difficult to assemble, and a crucial fitting leaked. After three (count them!) calls to customer service, I finally got through to someone who sent a replacement. The replacement fittings, although clearly the same parts, fit together smoothly and easily, and without leaking. I wish I had got such fittings on the first try.

The customer-service experience is embarrassing. Most often, after fighting my way through a voice-mail menu, I was told they wouldn't take my call, and I'd be disconnected. But they'd happily give me a discount code for their web site! When I was lucky, I'd get disconnected after finishing the voice mail. But sometimes I would wait on hold for several minutes and THEN get disconnected. And when I did finally get connected, the representative wasn't always helpful. As in "how do I get the hoses off the fittings?" Answer: "You pull them off." Well, no you don't. Cutting them off works, as does softening with heat. Pulling them off is a recipe for frustration and for damaging your plants.
on January 10, 2014
We were going through the second year of drought and dragging 200 ft of hose all over in 106* heat was getting old...Then I saw this and life improved! We ended up getting 5 other sets and other parts to go all over our gardens...
Be sure to read the how too and make a plan before you start setting it up.
It held up all summer without any real problems.
I did not have this problem but had friends say the squirrels and bunnies were chewing on it...I had plenty of these critters but they enjoyed my plants more!
It is going to be interesting to see how the severe winter weather leaves this set up and working...later next spring will tell you
Oh be sure you get a pressure gauge set up so you don't blow it a part.
I just wish we had made a better plan so it hit more plants...our problem not it!
on April 30, 2017
This is a great started kit. This was my first time setting up a drip system for some raised planter beds. I purchased this, along with a timer and it works really good. I worked so well that I started adding runs to other plants and potted plants.

This kit has enough to get you going, however depending on how many plants and where you need to water, you may need to add additional items. Once you connect the hoses, they are really hard to take apart once installed, however I think this is really a plus since you know the connections are secure. You just need to ensure you measure and plan you runs to avoid wasting time needed to get the connections apart. .
on November 22, 2014
Got one of these via Lightning Deal. Drip irrigation was nagging my To Do list for two years, with no DIY experience in irrigation. I half expected this to be wasted money -- it was worth every penny. In 90 minutes I had a working knowledge in basic principles and parts, and had installed a fairly complicated system. This kit came with excellent instructions that anticipated all the technical challenges I ran into. The next day I used the leftover parts and additional off-the-shelf components to put a second system in the back yard.

Here in drought-parched California, I estimate this deal will have paid for itself within two months. I also found these Rain-Bird parts to be a little better quality than the generic brands I was stuck with at the store.

One thing to keep in mind is that the range of drip irrigation materials becomes more complicated beyond this starter kit. For example, strangely enough, there are different diameters of 1/2" tubing -- varying by hundredths of an inch even though they're all still referred to as 1/2" tubing. A shade wider or narrower won't fit your components. This kit doesn't include specs to that much detail, so you may want to bring samples or leftover parts with you to the hardware store when you first build out from this kit. It's a manageable part of the learning curve.
on September 30, 2016
This kit is good and I would recommend you buy it. I am mainly giving a 3 star review because it does not come with all the materials listed on Amazon. It does not come with any 2GPH emitters and the whole reason why I bought this system was to water bushes and I needed the 2GPH emitters. However, I was able to buy a bunch of 2GPH emitters for 10 bucks.

However, the price on this kit is amazing it comes with so much stuff that I plan to buy a 2nd hose connector / back flow preventor to water a 2nd garden area
on August 20, 2017
A gateway product. Get you started and they know you'll be back for additional components. A very helpful kit but they really skimp on the small connectors. The nozzles you attach to the spigot are also a little chintzy. But I managed to get it to cover my roses and lemon tree. One thing-- the 1/2" drip hose was kind of useless. In a flat setting it might work if you want an continuous area watered. But on a hill, the water runs along the outside of the hose until it hits a low point. I tried it but got rid of it. It's also a brick color that stands out in your garden. You'd be better off just using the distribution tube and tap in as needed.
review image
on July 26, 2016
I can't imagine not having this in my garden. It has made watering the vegetable patch a breeze during our prolonged drought this year. While everyone else has struggled to get their plants to grow this year mine are producing record amounts of fruits and vegetables.
on March 11, 2014
Every kit has a irrigation plan, the closer you are to liking their plan the more money you might save. I can't imagine this kit will supply all your needs that is why it is called starter. Plan on spending much more if you are irrigating a large garden. The 50' feet of blank 1/2" hosing only supplied 1/3 of my needs. Some fittings I needed a lot more of and some I will not use. Rain Bird is usually high quality stuff so that is not a problem.

If you do not know how to install an irrigation system, the term "Starter" might be confusing. This is not a kit for beginners. It will not teach you how to install a drip system. Since I moved and had to create a new garden, this was the start or the beginning of the things I might need to complete the drip system. It save me the time and effort to get-together some of the needed drip system items together. It has an excellent start-up to hooking the drip system into the standard hose connection. This kit was worth it to me but I can see it would be worthless to others. A feed-backer was kind and generous to provide a list of what came with the kit. Make sure you read it and understand what you are getting.

There are great online irrigation courses, It really not that hard to install. The hardest part is pressing this stuff together. Good Luck