Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on November 7, 2013
Peter Rainer's writing reminds me of why I fell in love with the movies as a teenager. His reviews and longer pieces are full of insight and intelligence and movie love -- and they're fun to read. His affection -- and disaffection -- with movies gone right and gone wrong jumps off the page and will send you to your Netflix queue to line up movies you can't wait to see. He shines light on the great movie makers of our time, directors, actors and writers, and treats them with affection and sometimes hilarious wit. This is movie writing at its best.
on May 31, 2013
Here is a wonderful collection of film reviews and film history from an award winning critic who has lived with movies since childhood. Completely indexed to find what you have been missing by title, genre ,director , or performer. As an old timer, I particularly enjoyed flashbacks to an even earlier period. Easily a five star book.
on September 22, 2013
Highly recommended. And available on Kindle/iPad so
you can travel with it.

---Steven-Charles Jaffe
Executive Producer GHOST, Producer STAR TREK VI, STRANGE DAYS..
on August 22, 2013
Outstanding essays that offer great insights into modern cinema and detailed background on many current film makers. Good read for anyone remotely interested in flim
on July 3, 2013
Peter Rainer's book allowed me to reimmerse myself in thought about films that I thought I had already known well - thanks to his perspective and the engaging passion of his writing I now see them with new eyes and detail. While sometimes it was fun to find points of disagreement with my own observations, the compelling argument inherent to his writing made me want to engage in joyful debate, which I think is the mark of a skillful critic! I also now have a reinvigorated list of films that I've always been meaning to see, or that weren't even on my radar to begin with, to seek out and watch. I'll keep revisiting his book as I catch up, to continue the "conversation" in my brain that this enjoyable read began!
on July 12, 2013
I remember Peter Rainer from 20 years ago when he was the movie critic at The Los Angeles Times. This was long before the internet which caused me to loose interest in reviews. Peter Rainer was definitely the best reviewer out there. He could perfectly articulate what ever you were thinking, there was just something very special about his writing and the simplicity and direct way he felt about what he saw. I would recommend anything he wrote.
on May 29, 2013
Kudos to Santa Monica Press for publishing this exciting collection. Peter's voice through the decades has remained consistently vibrant, curious, witty, insightful - his observations are a crucial addition to any film buff's ongoing conversation about the craft. I'll treasure (and liberally quote from ) this tome!