Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Size: One Size|Color: Royal|Change

Showing 1-10 of 425 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 447 reviews
on April 17, 2015
Manufacturer should be jailed for intentionally polluting the environment, because this umbrella is nothing but garbage!!

I bought it for the first time last Fall, and it broke on the 1 or 2 time I used it. Amazon generously gave me a replacement free of charge. I used it a couple of times, then Winter kicked in and I put it away for the season. It's Spring time now, which means some rainy days where I live. The replacement umbrella broke the FIRST TIME I used it this season!

In other words, I have used two of these umbrellas, and each broke on the 2-3 time I used them. Garbage is a kind word for this item. I wish I could give them 0 stars. DO NOT BUY, no matter how cheap it is.

An image is worth a thousand words. I am attaching a picture of the damaged umbrella.
review image
on October 20, 2015
Update: I've had the umbrella now for 2 years. And for two years I've carried it in my bag and it's been pretty abused with use and being tossed around. And it STILL WORKS. Seriously. This was a good buy. I'm really pleased.

I feel somewhat ridiculous using an umbrella to keep the sun off me while walking around or waiting for my train or bus. But since I don't wear hats, can't always remember to put on sunscreen and am outside a great deal due to my job and lack of a car, I have to find something in the middle. So the umbrella is my middle ground. I wasn't sure it was worth it, as there was only one scientific study done on the effectiveness of an umbrella or parasol to block UV rays and it was not extensive. But this particular umbrella was compact, reasonably well rated on Amazon and cheap enough I was willing to take the risk. If it was anything less than exactly as described, I would have just sent it back. But the whole purpose of this umbrella is to lessen the harshness of being in the sun (especially on a HOT day), protecting you from the UV and if it rains, keep you dry. And that's what this umbrella does. So hooray for that.

1) the umbrella canopy is fine, I feel like it's well stitched, fastened to the umbrella body well and though I did opt for a small umbrella that fits in my bag, it does keep me covered enough. It seems decently heavy enough material. The umbrella isn't very heavy.

2) The stem and plastic handle of the umbrella are a little wobbly together. And the handle can be a bit small and uncomfortable to hold for any length of time. Overall, it's not a huge issue but I don't expect this umbrella to last a year. To be fair, I wouldn't expect any $15 umbrella to last a year.

3) I find the button itself to open the umbrella to be a bit sticky. This is a minor issue for me, but might be a problem if you have weak hands or arthritis. But closing the umbrella is not difficult.

And yes, it can handle rain. But I wouldn't take it out for anything more than a drizzle or light rain. It's not that large and I don't think it could handle any serious winds (I'd go with a gustbuster or something of equal reputation for real weather).
Overall, I feel like this is a good summer/spring sunny day umbrella and my money was well spent. But I admit freely that when this one breaks, if I find an equally well rated sun umbrella for more money, I'll buy that first and hope it's sturdier. But overall, this wasn't a bad choice either.
on November 24, 2011
I live in windy Boston, and have put to rest a great number of folding umbrellas. I have used this through a few windy days now and it has held up well. Its light and seems to not be heavily built, but engineered well. The edges give in the wind instead of breaking, and the long center braces though light but appears stronger than most compact umbrellas. With a little care in the very heavy gusts we can get on downtown streets this appears to be a winner.
on December 9, 2016
I don’t like to give reviews with low stars, however I think I have to do it to save other people money. I truly wished I could love this umbrella but unfortunately its quality was so poor as if I had bought it in a “Dollar Tree” store at a super discounted price. The tri-color umbrella looked so pretty on the picture and the sale price was quite alluring so I couldn’t resist and I had ordered it in spite of a number of critical reviews. When I received the umbrella its colors looked nice as pictured but the quality turned to be quite poor. The umbrella’s fabric is very thin and looks somewhat “worn” in folds – that’s how things usually look when they are stored for a very long time. The auto-open mechanism worked only the very first time and then it was a little challenge to close the umbrella due to the loose conjunction of the moving parts in the groove on the shaft. When I managed to close the umbrella, it didn’t stay put so I had to try it several times until it worked. If you try to use “auto-open” for the second time – good luck with that. It looks like there is a malfunction with the spring inside.
Considering the umbrella’s quality I think it is way overpriced and you can buy a similar one in any “99 Cents” or “Dollar Tree” store but you may not find such pretty colors there.
on May 10, 2015
I bought 2, for daughters. Pink one works great, blue one needed modification. I pushed the release button on the blue one and deployed great, but then pulled it shut and noticed the little triangular peace near the end handle didn't pop out after deployment. I had to use a knife to wiggle it out. Deployed a second time and same thing, had to wiggle the piece out. It was for a birthday gift following day, no time to return. Noticed the slot for the triangle piece was bent out slightly. Pressed it down with tool and it seems better, hasn't given a problem yet. Only 1 star off for that and their lifetime warranty is kind of a joke. Mail them the product with $10 and they will give you a replacement. That's how much this cost....? No thanks, I would just buy another rather than pay shipping 2 ways. Umbrella seems to hold up with both 6 year old daughters playing with these as sun shades So far. Good value for product overall. Still would recommend, and I hope yours come flawless, these are decent umbrellas.
on March 4, 2015
This should've been a no star but they're requiring to put a star.

My pink umbrella just came today. I opened it to see if it's working. It did worked but when I tried to close it, the metals that were supporting the umbrella broke. This is very disappointing.
review image
on May 5, 2014
I used this umbrella once and now it broke. Still usable but it takes forever to fully close the umbrella. I mean understand it was cheap but shouldn't I be able to use it more than once. It was an emergency and i needed it for three days. Not bad if you need it for a short period. Don't buy it if it constantly rains in your area.
on April 12, 2014
The tines in the umbrella canopy are not only thin, cheap metal, but also have holes punched for some bizarre reason. Tines broke right where the holes are punched during very first use, same issues others have had. Terrible to buy an umbrella, actually remember to bring umbrella and then still be without a working umbrella during a down pour.
on February 22, 2015
For 10 bucks, this umbrella so far does what it's supposed to do, which is keeping rain water and light to medium wind away from me. I haven't used it in stormy conditions, but I don't expect it to last in those conditions given its price. Diameter when it opens is 37 inches and when it's folded, it's 16 inch long.

A few of minor complaints:
First, button to open the umbrella frequently jams, and when it doesn't jam, I have to press it really hard to open my umbrella.

Second, that same button does not close the umbrella like my previous compact umbrella. This is no big deal, but it's more convenient if the button is multifunctional.

Lastly, I prefer it to be about 8 inch long when folded since it is a compact umbrella, which means one of its purposes is to save backpack space. I frequently found myself placing it in such a way that I could have more space to store my lunch in my backpack.

--Updated Review: It seems to withstand the rainy and windy season so far; however, the "Auto Open" button has been mysteriously yet permanently jammed. So now I have to open the umbrella manually, which is frustrating to say the least. Because to manually open it, I'd have to press that metal piece, which my finger had repeatedly been caught and pinched. Avoid this umbrella!
on January 31, 2015
I would rate this 0 if I could. It was broken before I could even use it once. The design makes no sense. There isn't a hook at the top of the umbrella to keep it open, and there is a spring in the middle to prevent it from being closed all the way. It's dumb how it's constructed and now I have to waste my time to return something because someone couldn't provide me with a working item.
review image review image

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.