Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 24 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 43 reviews
on February 20, 2013
Less is more, this book just had too much irrelevant content that i skipped over, probably 50% plus is not relevant to small business and more geared for closing big deals, BUT the 35% plus that does relate to small business was EXCELLENT, so I would recommend getting it, I think that KISS (keep it super simple) approach would have made this a better book, it is not super simple at all it is a "super detail hurt your head" kind of book, so if you buy then be prepared to eat the meat and spit out the bones!
VINE VOICEon May 29, 2015
It's a great book, but I have to offer a huge caveat right up front. At some point your sales knowledge has to take the form of YOU performing NATURALLY. The BEST knowledge on EARTH is the knowledge that you can internalize, make it a PART of who you are and what you are, rather than an EXTERNAL thing that you have to access repeatedly.

The reason I say this is that to call this book "feature-rich" is the understatement of a LIFETIME. These folks know their stuff, it's a master's thesis. By the time someone has pounded two thousand pieces of information into my head that I am expected to call upon on demand, I tend to retreat to old-school sales dogs like Zig Ziglar and Brian Tracy, who...DESPITE the wealth of sales techniques they both taught...are really only teaching you ONE thing, and that is to be a person of your word, a man or woman of integrity, and everything else will take care of itself.

What I've said so far may make no sense at all so I will give you an illustration of where I am going with this.

On page 52 (Kindle Edition), there is a section called "Building Real Rapport." I'm sure I don't have to preach the value in that, right? The section is broken down into sub-sections: "Be genuine," "Be warm and friendly," "Show interest," "Don't be too needy," "Give genuine compliments," "Calibrate the rapport to just right," "Read the culture," "Balance advocacy and inquiry," "Listen actively," "Show relevance, share similarities."

That adds up to FIVE pages of the book, with TEN sub-categories, to make ONE point. The material is all valid and it is something every salesperson needs to know, but two questions come up.

First, do you really need to read a book to have its author tell you to "be warm and friendly?"

Second, this book (once again, I am using the Kindle edition) has 4600 pages, not counting the "Appendix and Online Resources" and other sections that follow. How large is your head? How many bullet points and sub-bullets are you going to load in there before you actually go out and sell?

That's the point I am making here. The information is good, it's valid, it's road-tested, it's all things you need to know, but don't submerge yourself in this or any other book at the expense of NOT getting on the phone or out on the streets to sell. The book can help your career, or it can give you an extremely bad case of paralysis by analysis. Your choice.
on May 10, 2012
This book describes a sales approach based on the authors' proven RAIN sales model. Well written, this book should be on every consultant's bookshelf (after reading it, of course.)

The authors are co-founders of the Rain Group, a sales training and sales performance improvement company. Their customers include professional service firms and other companies that sell complex products and services (technology, pharma, medical devices, etc.)

As such, they certainly understand the unique challenges of selling intangibles like consulting. They also co-authored Professional Services Marketing, which nicely complements Rainmaking Conversations.

Incidentally, if you are brand new to consulting, rainmakers are those who generate new business. In large firms, a few rainmakers often bring in most of the business for everyone to work on. In a small practice, however, everyone needs to be a rainmaker!

This book uses their RAIN model that shows you how to:

Build trust right from the first contact (R - Rapport)
Uncover both problems and dreams (A - Afflictions/Aspirations)
Make the economic case for purchase (I - Impact)
Paint a vivid word picture for the future (N - New reality)

The book emphasizes sales conversations, not manipulation. In short, selling consulting should NOT be like selling a used car -- but rather like talking to a friend or colleague. When placed in that context, selling consulting services can even become enjoyable. (It is for me...)
on May 14, 2014
I have been a Sales leader for about 4 years and find this book to be a great resource for myself & my sales team.
We regularly check our value proposition positioning statements and the building blocks we use when creating them.
The ideas put forth in this book are not new, but the approach the authors take makes a lot of sense.
My team is well versed in "pain" selling. This book helped and helps us see there's another side of the coin - Aspirations.
Not understanding these adequately can keep us from making a bigger sale.
Great work on this book - a must for any sales leader's book shelf.
on May 29, 2011
RESONATE, DIFFERENTIATE, SUBSTANTIATE

The only valuable nugget from this book was the phrase "resonate, differentiate, substantiate" .. the three things that need to happen to make a sale ..

I bought this book because one weekend (around end of April 2011 or early May 2011) I saw it listed in the Wall Street Journal as among the top 10 business bestsellers by Nielsen Scan. I thought it was going to have something valuable ... it turned out to be similar to most books on sales tactics and strategies.
on September 6, 2014
I've read a lot of sales books, but this book just makes sense. Not so much tactical as it is about the construction and movement of the conversation. If you've been in a lot of sales situations, you'll recognize a lot of these situations. Just makes sense.
on November 25, 2014
This book allows you to walk in several pairs of shoes and you have the opportunity to walk again and again until you are able to find your own path and grow in your own way
on November 3, 2014
Probably the best book on selling that I have read. Understanding what BUYERS want from the business relationship is the key to helping those sales people, who can or will incorporate these philosophies and principals, become true rainmakers.
on July 20, 2014
I found this particular book quite dry, condescending, and difficult to get into. The tips are useful and the advice is sound but there are better books on the market (i.e. Jill Konrath's Selling to Big Companies) that are easier to digest.
on August 28, 2014
Great processes and thought patterns. I really enjoyed it