- Series: For Dummies
- Paperback: 432 pages
- Publisher: For Dummies; 2 edition (March 2, 2015)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1118982789
- ISBN-13: 978-1118982785
- Product Dimensions: 7 x 0.9 x 9.2 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.3 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 4.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews (146 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #19,049 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Raising Chickens For Dummies 2nd Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
See the Best Books of the Month
Want to know our Editors' picks for the best books of the month? Browse Best Books of the Month, featuring our favorite new books in more than a dozen categories.
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
From the Back Cover
- Which Breeds Fit Your Specific Needs
- To Custom Create Your Own Coop
- The Latest Urban Farming Trends
- To Raise Happy, Healthy Chickens
Your trusted resource on modern chicken-raising methods
This hands-on guide offers the most up-to-date information on chicken care, from feeding your birds for optimal health to controlling pests and predatorsand everything in between. Whether you're a first-time poulterer or you-ve been raising chickens for years, you-ll find fast, authoritative advice for keeping chickens in virtually any backyard.
- What the cluck? get the lowdown on basic chicken biology and behavior, get to know the different types of chicken breeds, and find guidance on buying chickens
- Coop, sweet coop choose the best housing type for your flock, design and construct a coop, make nests comfy and cozy, and properly dispose of manure and old bedding
- Keep 'em happy and healthy select a form of feed, keeps pests from infesting the coop, fend off predators, and handle common health problems
- The chicken or the egg find out how to safely mate your chickens, incubate eggs and hatch chicks, and expertly care for those fluffy balls of cuteness
- Beyond the coop discover how to humanely raise meat birds, whether you're doing the deed yourself or hiring out a butcher
Open the book and find:
- The best laying breeds and the best breeds for the table
- Ways to supplement feed with grit
- How to recognize and deal with disease
- What you need to know about the stages of growth from chick to adult
- Steps for collecting, cleaning, and storing eggs
- How to package and store home-butchered poultry
- Tips for keeping healthy, stress-free chickens
About the Author
Kimberley Willis has raised numerous breeds of chickens and other poultry for eggs, meat, and showing for more than 40 years.
Robert T. Ludlow owns and manages BackYardChickens.com, the largest and fastest-growing community of chicken enthusiasts in the world.
Discover books for all types of engineers, auto enthusiasts, and much more. Learn more
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?