Your Garage Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animestrike animestrike animestrike  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 49 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 73 reviews
on March 30, 2017
Outstanding advice! Wish I had this when my kids were young.
on April 20, 2017
Practical Information to get started with financial teaching for your kids.
on September 4, 2014
Very prompt!
on March 12, 2014
It is an excellent book! I learned a lot about our finances as well as on how to tackle our kids financial future. I would recommend it to any one that has debt and want there children to be debt free when they are adults.
on April 2, 2013
I heard about this book when the author was on Focus on the Family. It sounded good, but I've heard lots of financial advice that sounded good, only to get to the very lacking meat and potatoes of the argument, so to speak. This book not only sounded good, but the 'meat and potatoes' of the advice was great! I liked the book so much I ordered it for two friends of mine who have also have kids around the same age as mine, and we all set the system up together. It is working great, and my child is making good decisions and learning responsibility about money. They used to teach some of this when I was in Jr. High in home ec, but nothing this complete. There's nothing like letting your kids learn responsibility and make real life mistakes while still under your protection. Better a $60 mistake now than a $60,000 mistake when they get out into the world as young adults.

The author sets up excellent scenarios and gives great advice on how to set up your kids' "salary", create a budget for them, let them make their own decisions (and their own mistakes), and generally learn how to manage money; so by they time they reach adulthood, they control the money - it does not control them.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone with a child in 6th or 7th grade - hell, even younger, because as the author states, it's almost never to early to start learning how to manage finances.
on April 17, 2013
After reading Mrs. Hunt's book, I decided to start my teenagers on the financial plan she suggests--which basically involves giving THEM the money I would normally spend on them ANYWAY in a month's time and allowing them the freedom to manage it. Scary? Definitely! It's working great for my responsible, thrifty daughter--not so great for my immature, spend-every-dime-I-get son. As she says in the book, though--I have to keep my mouth shut and give him time to figure it out. I was not in any way prepared to handle my own finances even after I graduated from college. I do not want my children to make the same mistakes. So...trying Hunt's method was certainly worth considering. I guess "time will tell" if it worked or not?
on April 9, 2014
This book is a winner. I have young children (6 1/2, 3 1/2 and 2) who aren't quite ready for the full system, but guys... this is the time to buy it! I'm so glad I have time to prepare and raise my children into this; and in the meantime? My husband and I are straightening up our own finances in preparation for the future. Thank you Mary Hunt, for giving us this financially savvy tool!
on April 24, 2013
Ok, so I really didn 't think this plan was that good, but it totally makes perfect sense. We modified the plan a little for our particular situation, but so far it is wonderful. Even after only 1 month, I have started to see a change in my daughter 's attitude about money. Hopefully, she will learn to spend more wisely the next month and then eventually work her way up to being financially confident without requiring a credit card or loan.

Parents: Don 't give up right away. Just stick to the plan for 3- 4 months before deciding if it is really working out !!!
on March 2, 2014
I've read a few of Mary Hunt's books over the years, and I always thought she had good advice, but this was the first book of hers that I've LOVED!

I was fortunate to have parents who tried very hard to teach me about money, but the world is a much different place now than when I was a child. Now that I have a daughter I'm very interested in any suggestions that will help my daughter avoid big financial mistakes in her future.

It was a case of the "right book at the right time" for me - I soaked in every word of this book and plan to apply many of the suggestions. I appreciated the personal stories Hunt shared about raising her two boys and the detailed advice she gave. Some of the advice I had already heard of but I found lots of new ideas too, such as teaching your children to dissect TV advertisements and credit card applications in the mail.

Recommended for any parent!
on February 11, 2017
The plan is really simple and the book details the plan for you leaving little room for questions. However if you do have questions, more than likely they are answered in the designated Q&A section of the book- yes this was included in the book! This was an easy read for me & I read it in 1 day with notebook & pen in hand. I will be putting the plan to the test and I believe it will work wonderfully because it just make sense. I will say that as I was taking notes, I added my own spin in certain areas that I felt would best work for my family.