BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on April 15, 2013
I gave this book as a gift to my niece and her husband, who just had their first in December, and today she emailed me this wonderful thank-you note:

"Just wanted to thank you for the two parenting books that you sent us! We haven't finished them yet, but so far they're awesome! The book about free thinking without religion is particularly great! It's already spawned some good discussions, and the anecdotes about how to teach right from wrong without the religious copout are going to be great resources. The book definitely has us thinking about and preparing how to answer questions both now and down the road, and had us researching and learning more about humanism and the values and free thinking ability that we want to instill in A_____. I think that book has had the most impact on us compared to all of the other baby gifts that we have received, and I really, really want to thank you for that. With living in the Bible belt and having Sundays and Wednesday nights unavailable for activities because 'everyone goes church', it's nice to know what to say and how to explain that not everyone has to be a believer."
on April 18, 2012
When I first found out that I was pregnant, I thought long and hard about how I wanted to raise my child. Although I had grown up Catholic, I knew that I was an atheist and that I didn't want to lie to my child about a spiritual force in the universe. Luckily, I was able to talk to a few friends about where to go and get advice about nonreligious parenting. The overwhelming response? Dale McGowan. Raising Freethinkers is a practical, hands-on book with great advice for raising non-religious children. I like that it's broken up into ages, so each activity is marked with a certain age range that it's best with. That has helped me make sure that I'm not jumping ahead with all these ideas when my kid is still learning to walk. As he's grown, I feel that Raising Freethinkers has been one of the biggest influences in my parenting, and I couldn't be happier with it.
on August 8, 2017
awesome book for free mind parents and future parents, love that the authors have lots of references to other media, movies, books, links and so on
on December 2, 2015
This book is full of great resources for all those areas where religious vs non-religious perspectives differ. It challenges the myth that you must bring up your kids with your belief system: atheist or religious. Your children must decide that when they are old enough. You do however have to model the values you want them to have and reinforce them which makes parenting one of the most difficult jobs in the world. You will see how raising a child religiously can actually damage them.
on March 24, 2013
I think this book offers great advise and suggestions and guidlines for parents in raising their child. For parents who want their children to have self confidence, be able to think for themselves, make healthy decisions, have respect and compasion for others, and have a close loving relationship with their parents. There are suggestions for religious and non religious parenting. This book is a great resource for books to read to your child, movies to watch with them, games to play, conversations to have, ways to celebrate and make your child always feel important and loved.
on October 5, 2015
I will start with a confession. I really like Dale McGowan books. I like the resources and research that goes into them. I like the organization of the topics. I like that he has tackled topics that need to be openly supported. His approach is not aggressive, but rather focused on what really matters...raising children who can think and ask questions and understand answers so they will ask more questions.
on April 18, 2012
As a "reformed Catholic," I find this book very helpful in dealing with so many issues...holidays, death, relationships, etc. I was struggling to find meaning without religion, and even though I was completely confident that I was on the right track, it is so great to have a book like this to turn to for inspiration, insight and guidance. Very easy to read format, even for someone like me who is not a big reader and actually dislikes reading. I didn't read it cover to cover all at once, but rather flipped back & forth through it as needed.
on April 3, 2013
I'd recommend it to any parents who are trying to find a way to encourage their children to think instead of be lead through life. There are parts of the book that confirm that even as free thinkers ourselves, we still fall back into old habits of encouraging followers with, "Because i said so, that's why! Now stop it!." parenting. It challenges parents to look outside of that and change their way of parenting to raise people who aren't afraid to ask questions.
on October 18, 2009
Despite being written to aid people in raising children themselves, this book really makes you think objectively about how you yourself were shaped by your own parents, whether consciously or unconsciously. My mother was especially religious, but through how she encouraged my sister and I to learn for ourselves, she ended up raising two very open-minded children, and this book made the processes behind such a result very clear.

Aside from that, this volume does offer a wide array of very useful and insightful activities for raising freethinkers, as well as offering insights into the thought processes being acted upon in each circumstance, giving parents the ablity to think objectively about activities they could create themselves.
on August 26, 2015
There's such a wealth of knowledge in this book. Gives a lot of citations and sources and recommendations on activities. I've just started reading it and have already added a dozen page markers for things that I want to come back to later. This book was recommended to me by several secular homeschooling families and I'm understanding why.