Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 50 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 62 reviews
on August 25, 2015
all parents---it's a MUST read !!!! We have a bunch of kids being raised now that have a lack of gratitude for all they have, Even my kids, who are pretty wonderful, do not know how good they actually have it. Help your kids but being firm and kind. Give them really strong consequences for their inappropriate behavior....and stick to it!!!! Take away those phones, I pads, and anything they escape into. YOU are the parent--not them. If it's kinda rough now, it's only going to get worse...nip it in the bud!
on February 23, 2016
love this book, had to buy it for a college class requirement for Early Childhood Studies and it became a vital tool in learning but the practical , what I call exercise, information having been life changing in raising my own daughter and now grand children. I t is well written and easy to understand.This is a book I continue to reference back to quit often and have recommended it to many families and programs/schools
on December 16, 2010
This book helped me realize how better to communicate to my children which in turn will let them know how very special they are. This book talks about treating children with respect because after all, they are people too! It talks about how to help kids become responsible for their own actions. This book has a lot of good ideas. It will take practice and patience, but I am trying to use the ideas on my children. I know that by using the new methods in this book, I will have a greater relationship with my children. Sometimes as parents, we tend to be a little too demanding on our kids. We should let them make some decisions for themselves and let them think things through, without us interrupting and "saving the day" for them (even though it would be easier to jump in and save them)! This way, they learn how to think and act for themselves and learn from their mistakes. I recommend this book for parents or anyone who cares for children in one way or another!
on May 13, 2017
Great book
on October 23, 2015
This is just the book I have been looking for. The authors have finally cracked the nut in writing a parenting book with simple, powerful, and easy-to-implement concepts that can have quick impact. Finally, a book without hyperbole, or too frequently inserted religious references. This is a great piece for reference, and one I have thoroughly enjoyed using in my day-to-day life.
on July 9, 2017
This book is a must read!
on May 3, 2006
I have had the pleasure of meeting Stephen Glenn at a number of seminars and look forward to taking the Developing Capable People workshop so that I may lead parenting classes for our school district (check the research on test score improvement in school districts providing families with these skills). My only "complaint" is that I did not have access to this material while raising my own children. I DO raise 32 a year and have used the seven steps for developing capable people as the basis of my philosophy for teaching. Over the last 19 years there have been but a handful who did not respond to methods suggested in this book - two were diagnosed as having severe psychological disorders. It is NOT a cookie cutter solution to raising children, nor is there any inference that parents don't DO for their children. It is about HOW we do for them - it is a guide to help you hear yourself and THINK about how and what you communicate to your children. I don't subscribe to any philosophy that is extreme in either direction, and I never felt that message related in this book. What is HAS done is remind me that my job is to help a child see himself/herself as capable - to develop intrinsic motivation. It is a HUGE job today when so many young people see themselves as lacking in academic skills. While their parents undoubtedly love them, they are often ill equipped to effect change. This book provides such a well written, easily understood narrative that one cannot help but come away with a better sense of "how to" and a set of skills that will be useful, even if only a few steps are implemented. It is a book I give to every new parent as a gift, one that I will continue to purchase with my own money for ANY parent who struggles and is concerned about his/her child's well being.

If I were emperess of the world, it would be required reading before taking a new baby home from the hospital (and certainly one for young single mothers choosing to raise their babies). I'm willing to step out and even suggest it be made mandatory for all educators too! Don't miss this book! I am about to purchase my 50th plus copy.
on January 6, 2014
I actually ordered the whole program by H. Stephen Glenn (by the same title). I use it for parenting classes in my community. Although I don't totally agree with his discipline tactics, they are effective (I'm not totally against spanking if done with love).

Anyway, his overall concept is one that is very much needed in our society, children of today aren't problem solvers. This book will guide you into making your child into an accountable young adult.
on September 5, 2016
This is a great book for all relationships. It's about communicating with respect, honor, dignity and purpose. At the same time for parents or teachers, there are myriad practical hands-on examples.
on September 27, 2014
Very informative. This book uses history to teach you how generational changes happened over the last century, and how to help your child develop a self sufficient personality. Very quick and engaging read. It got me thinking about my own child hood in each paragraph, and makes me more aware with my daughter.