Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on October 19, 2013
My cousin's wife recommended this book to me when I made the switch to veganism. It is a great resource, full of information and tips and tricks that make sure your pickiest of eaters are still getting all of their nutrition needs met. It also has the easiest cookie recipe I have ever seen in my entire life! This isn't "the only cookbook you will ever need" but it is one that I believe should be in just about every kitchen.
on May 3, 2003
Joanne Stepaniak and Vesanto Melina have created a much needed resource to serve parents and families, caregivers, and medical practitioners alike. After a thorough introduction discussing all aspects of vegetarian food and life choices (emotional, community, and psychological), the authors give a sound nutritional introduction. They then offer advice chronologically, beginning with nutrition for breastfeeding moms and continuing through introducing solids and feeding picky teens. The authors take a very down-to-earth approach, offering advice for parents of kids who are feeling alienated, or who want to eat meat away from home.
Each stage of life has different nutritional concerns. Stepaniak and Melina address the stages with age-specific menu plans using recipes from Part 3 of the book. The authors begin Part 3 by giving some helpful cooking recommendations for new or aspiring �healthy� cooks. There are many easy-to-prepare, kid-friendly recipes, replicating non-vegetarian favorites. Not all recipes have a 100% whole foods approach, and some include ingredients like "veggie dogs" or "veggie meats." The recipes range from beverages and breakfasts to snacks and entrees. All of the recipes include nutritional information, even the desserts. The book also has a very well organized index that makes it easy to pick up and find a piece of useful information. Raising Vegetarian Children ends with a large resource guide and bibliography, so those who want to dig deeper also know where to go.--Reviewed by Amy O'Neill Houck
on September 11, 2008
This is a wonderful resource for strictly vegetarian families or families with vegan children. This book is very informative and even has great vegan recipes to offer. However,I should agree with users who suggest that the title of this book should rather be "Raising vegan children". The item arrived very fast and in superb condition.
on August 11, 2008
I am still reading through this, but so far it has been wonderful and very informing. It makes me feel a lot more confident in raisng my two young girls vegan. I went to their pediatrician with the information from this book and their pediatrician checked them, even their blood (for iron amounts) and found them to be very healthy and told me to keep with their BALANCED vegan lifestyle.
on October 11, 2013
All of the recipes I have tried from this book have been delicious! The text I have not read cover to cover but love the nutritional guidelines and info.
on September 12, 2010
Even if you aren't vegetarian or vegan, this is a GREAT book to learn about the nutritional needs of the different stages of your growing child. There is also a great section about understanding food likes/dislikes and family meals. There are also some great recipes (crunchy tofu fingers!).
on December 9, 2009
We are vegan and we're raising our kids vegan (until they decide to do differently). This was an invaluable resource to us as our oldest got to the age where she was attending parties and going to school and in situations where we had to prepare her to respond or plan for. It helped us to learn ways to navigate through the non-vegan world with grace and respect for the non-vegans around us.

It was also our bible for any nutritional information that would help us feel confident that we were meeting our children's nutritional needs in every way without compromising our values.

I've read other 'parent resources' for raising vegetarian or vegan children. They all came across very preachy and holier-than-though. I'm not a militant vegan - if you want to order a steak, I'm not going to belittle you and it doesn't offend me - so that tone was very off-putting to me. The decision to become vegan and to raise my children that way was ours and ours alone. No one else should be made to carry a burden as a result.

I would highly recommend this book to any vegetarian parent.
on October 11, 2007
This is an excellent book! FINALLY a book that tells all that is important with raising vegetarian children! THANK YOU!
on July 12, 2013
Gave them both to new mothers that wanted to raise their child the vegetarian way. Both mothers were delighted and said I always give wonderful gifts.
on August 23, 2014
Great informative resource. Whether you are a full-on vegan family or just want to add more fresh basic foods (fruits and veggies) for your children this is a great book to have.