From the Back Cover
The spirited child—often called "difficult" or "strong willed"—possesses traits we value in adults yet find challenging in children. Research shows that spirited children are wired to be "more"; by temperament, they are more intense, sensitive, perceptive, persistent, and more uncomfortable with change than the average child. In this newly revised third edition of the award-winning classic, Dr. Mary Sheedy Kurcinka provides vivid examples of real-life challenges and a refreshingly positive viewpoint. Within these pages you will find:
- New strategies for managing intensity levels—not just the spirited child's, but yours too
- A simple, four-step program for peaceful bedtimes, mealtimes, holidays, and many other commonly challenging situations
- A focus on your child's strengths
- Steps for teaching your child how to be a problem solver and how to work with others
- Updated guidance on establishing clear limits
- And more!
Charts and quick tips make this newly updated edition an indispensable guide for fostering a supportive, encouraging, and loving environment for children.