Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 53 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 108 reviews
on July 13, 2017
A thoroughly enjoyable tale of one man's exploration of the obsession of Alabama football, and of America. There's not a lot that I can add to what other reviewers have written. I do dissent, though, from one reviewer's comment that "you don't need to be a football fan to enjoy this." You do, and you probably need to have dipped more than a toe into the Crimson Tide. I happen to love Alabama football, but I'm a novice, and I couldn't keep up entirely. And ten years later, reading about forgotten, minor characters like Mike DuBose had me wishing for Nick Saban and the modern Tide. But even so, this is a funny, fun read. Bravo.
on January 31, 2014
I just purchased this Kindle book so I could read "Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer" again. Hilarity never read so well...over and over again! I bought the hardcover book when it was first published and for the next several days, every free hour I had was spent absorbing every word of this book. Warren St. John share's his story in the written word as easy as if he was sitting next to you telling you about his adventures with RVers dedicated to the Alabama Crimson Tide. SEC football is unlike any other football conference, and each University has it's own qwerky traditions that make outsiders scratch their heads.

It doesn't matter if you are a diehard Alabama fan who wants to relive the 1999 season or if you are not an Alabama fan, but you love football and reading stories about others who love is as much and maybe even more than you do. Or maybe you don't like football, but you're interested in Southern culture, especially Alabama, reading this book will give you insight into one of the best parts of Southern culture that often encompasses the other parts.

If you want to laugh out loud and smile without stopping from front cover to back, then this is a book you have to read!
on July 18, 2017
If you are an RVer and/or a fan of any college sport, you might enjoy this light hearted look at tailgating. Even though I cheer for the Buckeyes, I was fascinated by the Tide.
on September 16, 2011
I have two annual traditions to get me appropriately amped up for football season: I re-watch The Program and I reread Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer. The second is going to get me in trouble one day when I spend a large portion of my life's savings on an incredibly inefficient and expensive monstrosity. Warren St. John's delightful book follows the Alabama Crimson Tide's 1999 football season by RV.

With a product part sports book, part travelogue, and part popular social science book, St. John shows that same enthusiasm for his subject and humanity in general that makes Tony Horowitz's books so great. Both stand in marked contrast to the misanthropy of Bill Bryson, who St. John has also been compared to. With St. John's expressive prose, the denizens of the `Bama RV crowd come alive. I could see them in my mind with a clarity that is very rare for characters in a book. He also takes frequent asides to discuss the peculiar condition that is fandom and various social science on the subject.

You don't have to love (or like) the Crimson Tide to love this book. Buy it if you love football, sports in general, or have ever wondered "what the heck is up with those people?".
on October 9, 2011
I'm not a Crimson Tide fan (go Irish!), but I don't think an Auburn fan could read Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer without nodding along. St. John's picture of intense fandom is gorgeous and accurate -- not least because he succumbs to it, going so far as to buy his own RV -- but he doesn't use the novel preach about Bama being the best there is. Or, more accurately, this book wasn't written specifically for Bama fans. It was written for sports fans, and Bama was the lens St. John chose. So there might be some preaching, but it's forgivable... and besides, it's really easy to substitute your own team name into his sentences.

Really, though, this book should be required reading for all souls unlucky enough to have latched on to a sports team. It's funny, and touching, and validating. And reading it made me hungry for football.
on October 5, 2004
I've been an Alabama fan now for most of my life. Since the beginning of the 1992 season, when my sister was admitted to the University. I too ended up in Tuscaloosa for three years, so I got to experience the gameday aura. It is interesting now seeing it from a different perspective, especially now after graduation. What I liked about the book was the "I've been there!" or "I drive down that every day." feeling I get through most of the book. I also like the memories (good and bad) about the 1999 season he brings up. I remember what I was thinking during that good season (not great, because we lost 3, a great season ends with a National Championship).

I also enjoyed the different perspective on the RVers. I viewed them mostly as faceless androgenous beings clogging up the streets of T-Town. Now I can place faces, attitudes, perspectives, et cetera on these people.

You'll laugh. You'll cry--and not just at our losses. It's humorous, but deperessing in parts as well (seeing how some people let it absolutely rule their lives).

An enjoyable read--to be sure.
on January 21, 2010
Loved it-this book captures what it is like to be a true fan of something, particularly a sports team. I read it out loud to my husband and we both laughed until we cried at some of the stories. These types of stories are repeated over and over all during football season all over the United States (we live in Arkansas and it is certainly true here in Razorback Country-the RVers call themselves the Road Hogs). Being born and raised a Bama fan, though, all the madness makes perfect sense to me and I must sheepishly admit I see myself in many of the stories. It also brought back many childhood memories of watching the Bear Bryant Show with my Daddy on Sunday afternoons (Coca-cola and Golden Flake potato chips!!) and the whole mystique of the Bear Bryant experience. I have no doubt I will read this again closer to football season this year to get primed for the games! Roll Tide Ya'll!
on November 1, 2016
Fantastic book!!! This is not just a book about football but about culture, regional differences and people served up in a very humorous and keenly observed package. Couldn't put it down, lots of twists and turns and laughs. Outstanding!!!
on January 12, 2015
A new college football fan myself, picked this book up to better understand why people love it as much as they do - especially Alabama fans. A thoughtful, fun, engaging read; Rammer Jammer is well written, entertaining and interesting. It makes you want to cheer on the fans along with the players! I'd recommend it to sports fans, and also just fans of human nature, history, culture and tradition.
on April 15, 2015
It's really tempting to just write "ROLL TIDE!" But I'll add that no book I have read captures the passion of college (and particularly Alabama) football like this one. If you are a college football fan and you do not hate the Tide, this is a must-read. If you for some inexplicable reason do hate the Tide, this is probably not for you.