Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Format: DVD|Change
Price:$5.00+ Free shipping (Addon item)

Showing 1-10 of 484 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 580 reviews
on March 3, 2017
Beverly Cleary brought childhood to life for me with her characters Ramona and Beezus. Even as an adult, her words bring a magic that no other can. So when I heard about the movie, I had to have it.
Often, movies are not as good as the books. However, this is an acceptation. Ramona and Beezus's adventures are brought together on the screen with a magic just as real as the words on the pages. If you were a fan of the books, you must have this movie. And if you have kids, you can use this to enter them in to the world of Ramona Quimby.
on May 15, 2016
Okay... I didn't think I was going to like this movie at all, but since you can't get dvds of the series (which I grew up with) I was frustrated and thought I'd give it a try - so glad that I did.

I was delighted when circumstances I remembered from the series were revisited. It was funny, sometimes sad. The plot was good and I thought Ginnifer Goodwin was a great choice for Aunt Bea... the "Uncle Hobart/Aunt Bea" sub-plot was the only part of this movie that I struggled with. It was entertaining half the time and the other half of the time I was disappointed because they made Hobart, well, unlikable.

A great way to bring the stories we grew up with into the 21st century. I'm so happy that they didn't ruin it.
on June 26, 2017
It is rare today to find a family movie that combines a great message with top-notch entertainment for kids & parents alike. This movie is safe, fun, hilarious and touching. The pacing is just right to help bring home the many vital messages needed for today's families. We loved it and will own it and give it as presents as soon as it is released!!!
on May 6, 2015
This is a very good, charming film, and I was impressed with the performance of Joey King, who was charismatic and credible.

I love the Ramona Quimby stories, and I've read everyone. This film did not reflect my imaginings of this story, but it added dimensions I never realized. Like how young the Quimbys were - how charismatic, innocent, beautiful, and earnest. Yes, this is a completely different interpretation, as Beezus was never beautiful, but in this film, she is portrayed by the lovely Selena Gomez.

But Selena Gomez and Joey King have chemistry, and I fully believed their sisterhood. Selena Gomez was truly the older good sister, folding clothes, dependable, and reliable, while Ramona was a wild card. But you also sense that Selena Gomez is no longer Beezaus but Beatrice, and she is beautiful, strong, and independent.

I love the levity of this film. I thought it so good. It all worked perfectly.
on September 7, 2013
Together, I've read almost all of the Ramona Quimby books with my 6-year old daughter, since I read them all as a child as well and loved them. When I realized there was a Ramona movie, I had to get it. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I found that the movie was a nice mixture of some of the popular stories in the books. While the movie mixes and matches some of the various stories from the books (during which Ramona is pre-school aged and on up), the characters stay the same age - Ramona is 9 years old during the movie. Some of the content seems geared towards adults, but it seems like any good kids movie throws in something for the grown ups, and it fits well within the movie. I recommend reading all of the Ramona books before watching the movie - your little one will light up when she sees her favorite characters on screen, and when she sees some of her favorite scenes played out (i.e. the hard boiled egg). The acting is very good too - very good casting of all of the characters.
on June 2, 2016
Diapointed in the digital copy! You have to load it into a laptop or other device. Why no Vudu or Amazon video copy. This should be told in description of multi format version. Movie was good for what it is but digital copy should be streamable!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 25, 2010
- A despondent Beezus: "Who could ever love a girl named Beezus?"
- Ramona, hesitantly: "Jesus?"

In Portland, Oregon dwells Ramona Quimby who is nine years, three months old and, despite her older sister Beezus' assertions, isn't at all a pest or a nuisance (except that she is). Ramona's big imagination lends to plenty of daydreaming and playacting and silly shenanigans, and the rest of the kids in her class think she's daft, her teacher rendered bemused and resigned. Ramona means well, has a big heart, comes from a loving family, but she's like Pollyanna and Walter Mitty and an incoming wrecking ball all rolled into one.

The story's conflict surfaces when Ramona and Beezus' dad gets laid off and suddenly, for the Quimbys, there's penny pinching and the hovering threat of losing their house. Things like this will sometimes have a bigger impact on the children. Ramona not only becomes terrified of losing her home but, after dialogue with a snotty classmate, she also dreads the possibility of her parents divorcing and maybe having to move to Tacoma. Ramona determines to remedy all this. Everyone take cover.

Based on Beverly Cleary's beloved children's books, RAMONA AND BEEZUS and its watchability rest strictly on Joey King's shoulders (Selena Gomez only has a supporting role, really). And to lift one of Ramona's made-up words, Joey King's presence makes this movie all the "funner." It's a fine line to toe, I think. Ramona gets into so many scrapes that inconvenience so many people that it would've been disastrous if the filmmakers had tapped the wrong girl to play her. It would've been all too easy for the audience to perceive Ramona as annoying and even unsympathetic. But Joey King is awesome and so very likable, and she works the crowd with that infectious giggle and that marvelously expressive face and a certain irrepressibility. How could you not forgive her her well-intentioned screw-ups?

The rest of the cast is really good, especially John Corbett who plays Ramona's understanding, nurturing father. Ramona's interactions with her father and with her sister Beatrice (forever known as "Beezus") prove the backbone of the story. I enjoyed watching the sisters' relationship unfold. Ramona, always in trouble about something, fears that she'll never do as well as Beezus who always garners straight A's and is well liked by everyone. And so maybe the turning point for Ramona is when she gets those words of encouragement from Beezus at the end of that one sad evening.

Oh, and somehow Ramona does manage to save the day. Go figure.

Watch RAMONA AND BEEZUS and, chances are, you'll be enchanted by the wonderful Joey King. There's a comfort and a warmth in watching this movie, and you may even get caught up with the side stories, whether it's Ramona's beloved cute Aunt Bea re-sparking an old romance or Beezus kind of striking up a first one. If you want to meet an extraordinary girl bubbling over with life and imagination and who, in prepping for a princess audition, ends up in the bushes and concocts a makeshift tiara out of burrs, well, that's Ramona Quimby all over. Grown-ups will smile throughout this film. Kids will adore it. Fair warning, though, that your young 'uns may pick up Ramona's favorite curse word. Heck, I may even adopt it. There's something pretty visceral about screaming "Ah, guts!" to the heavens. I'm right, yeah?

The DVD's bonus stuff: "Show & Tell Film School" is seven minutes of director Elizabeth Allen giving tips on how to make a movie and we see how she herself applied these tips to her shooting of RAMONA & BEEZUS; 4 Deleted Scenes (totaling 00:04:11 minutes); a gag reel (00:02:50); "My Ramona" features an interview with author Beverly Cleary (00:04:14); and the theatrical trailer.
on February 15, 2014
I loved the Ramona books growing up. They were some of my absolute favorites. I was very worried about this movie back when it came out--I thought, "Selena Gomez as Beezus? That movie's going to stink!" and I didn't see it in the theaters. But today I finally gave in and rented it here on Amazon. I was not expecting what I got.

What I got was a movie that captured the spirit of the books I loved so much. It mixed some of the best parts of all the books together to make a film that made me laugh and even cry a little bit. It had some little bits in it that were just for the people who've read the books, like that part when Susan tells Ramona not to pull her hair. "You've been doing it since kindergarten". Or the bit with the drawing of Ramona and her red boots--those parts weren't in the movie, but Ramona fans know exactly what's going on there.

I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. I liked it a lot and I recommend it to any Ramona fans out there.
on May 29, 2017
Purchased to reward students who excel at exceeding their reading expectations.

Kids enjoyed watching it.
on February 8, 2012
The Blu-Ray of "Ramona and Beezus" is the same great film about Ramona Quimby and her big sister Beezus and their parents in their home in Portland, OR (with Vancouver as a stand-in for Portland), with Joey King in the same superb performance as before, but this edition has some new features that are included exclusively on the Blu-Ray (the features from the original DVD edition are also included):

--Deleted scenes: The original DVD edition had four deleted scenes; the Blu-Ray has three more deletions, for a total of 7.

--A Day in the Life of Joey King: This 5-min. feature is an insider's view of what a normal day was like for Joey King, star of "Ramona and Beezus," who went by "Pickle" on the walkie-talkie. It shows her at makeup, in one of her homeschooling sessions (she was focused on fractions in this one), and in the process of shooting the playground rings scene with Jason Spevack (who played her friend Howie Kemp); the school scenes were shot at an actual school. One thing that I was surprised to learn about her is that she has cat allergies WRT shooting the scenes w/Picky-Picky.

--Selena and Joey Audition Footage: Two scenes of Selena Gomez and Joey King in rehearsal. One is when Beezus wanted to die after Ramona embarrassed her at the lemonade stand; the other is when Ramona is opening up her lemonade stand. These were the rough cuts of the actual scenes. It should be noted that Joey was not in the hairstyle that she would have in the film as Ramona.

--Fox Movie Channel Presents Life After Film School: Director Elizabeth Allen is questioned by three film students in a 22-min. interview.

The other features that were carried over from the DVD edition include:
--a 3-min. gag reel;

--"My Ramona with Author Beverly Cleary," in which the author talks about how Ramona came to be popular and some of the stars of the film talk about what the books meant to them (4 min.+);

--"Show and Tell Film School" (7 min.), where director Elizabeth Allen and star Joey King present tips on how to make your own film, with a bit of an insider's view of how they made "Ramona";

--and the original theatrical trailer.

In addition to the features, the film is presented in HD on this Blu-Ray edition, and has English and French audio, and English and Spanish subtitles (the same languages as on the DVD edition). The Blu-Ray comes in a 3-pack with a copy of the original DVD edition and a digital copy for portable devices. The artwork for the Blu-Ray disc is the same as the original DVD edition, with the included DVD having somewhat different artwork (this one had Selena and Joey in a field of flowers, apparently); the digital copy shows Ramona hanging upside down from the "Z" and "S" in the title. The three discs are in a clear blue rounded square case, with the Blu-Ray and DVD on a hinged flipper, and the digital copy on its own on the right-hand inside of the case.

The menu for the BD is essentially the same as for the DVD, but the options are on tiny scraps of paper.

In short, whether you get this combo Blu-Ray/DVD/digital copy, or you get the original DVD edition by itself, I think that you'll be treating yourself to what I believe is one of the best films I've ever seen, with one of the greatest performances ever from a juvenile actress by the name of Joey King.