Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Book House Cleaning siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,062 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,322 reviews
on March 31, 2015
I love this album! Awesome electronica done in a (mostly) Disco vibe. People say that disco is dead - but no, my friends! Disco is alive and well, as Daft Punk wonderfully shows. Here are my thoughts on most of the songs:

1. Give Life Back to Music - Nice, laid back disco tune.

2. The Game of Love - Sad, melodic. Easy listening. The electronic vocals sound pretty odd to me, but I got used to it.

3. Giorgio by Moroder - Easily one of the best songs on the album. It's great listening to one of disco's greats, and how the song changes and moves over time. Very interesting.

4. Within - Introspective and sad. A good song, but slow. The heavily electronicized vocals are again hard to get used to, for me.

5. Instant Crush - Excellent, smooth beat. Again, has quite a bit of melancholy to the lyrics and melody. It's a fantastic song.

6. Lose Yourself to Dance - Energetic and entertaining. The chorus line gets in your brain :)

7. Touch - The vocalist sounds kind of weird to me, but this song is still unique and interesting. It changes so much in tone, going from slow, to fast, to slow again. I enjoyed hearing the horn playing also. The lyrics are great.

8. Get Lucky - What to say about this song? An instant classic in my mind. It will be among the Greatest Hits remembered from the decade of the 2010's, to be sure. It's true that it gets a bit repetitive after a while. I think I counted the words "Get Lucky" spoken 59 times within 6 minutes. That's an average of once every 6 seconds. Even so, it's a fantastic song! Just best taken in small doses so as not to get sick of it. It reminds me a lot of "Robot Rock" in that regard - one of my other favorite Daft Punk songs.

9. Beyond - Smooth, easy listening disco.

10. Motherboard - Very pleasant, mysterious-sounding electronica.

11. Framents of Time - Sounds like another good disco tune straight out of the 70's. Except for the electronic voice used as an instrument, which sounds modern.

12. Doin' it Right - Not sure what to make of this song. It's okay. It reminds me more of old-style Daft Punk.

13. Contact - Awesome, epic finale to a fantastic album.

Others have said it and they are right. This is an album to be experienced as a whole. If you're just picking up a song here and there, then you're not experiencing it as it was meant to be. It's one of the best albums I've heard in years. I love Daft Punk, old or new, and what they've done here is a fresh, original take on a music genre I wouldn't have expected to hear. It's great!
on August 22, 2015
I'm new to Vinyl but I have been a Daft Punk fan for years. I'm really happy with these records there's two in the initial holder if you will with a booklet that has all the songs with lyrics, name, and the people who helped/played in it. I will post pictures to show you what each thing looks like so you see what you're actually getting.
on July 10, 2013
Very very nice. Hmmm where do I start? Paul Williams it's so nice to hear you and your work. Come on everybody that loved the 70s and 80s this is a wonderful mix.
Pharrell Williams sings and brings me back to the day! I am a music freak. Everything from Mozart, Talking Heads, Doors, Dolly Parton, Green Day, Trance, House, Electronica, Rap, Jazz etc. When I first saw the album I thought of DEVO but this is not DEVO. Daft Punk is a sound unto themselves and very enjoyable it is.

My favorites:
Giorgio by Moroder. I mean come on! This is so good! Giorgio Moroder narrating and then his sound. Awesome.
Touch. Paul Williams? Nuff said. Beautiful. Love is the answer hold on.
Get Lucky. They got it lucky all right. Pharrell nailed it and brought me right back to techno punk.
Motherboard. Smooth.
Contact. Techno at its hardest. (I watched Eugene Cernan take off in Gemini 9a.)

Lounge music? Hey thats a compliment! If you go to the "lounges" I go to don't forget your glow sticks! Music that is good crosses all age groups, as it should. This is not just for 18 year olds but all of us who can "get down and boogie".
Can you dig it? I can. Now let me go smoke a doobie and relax to Daft Punk.
on March 8, 2014
I had never heard of Daft Punk until the Grammy Awards in 2014. Intrigued by their "look", having puchased 3 of their other albums on vinyl, and due to the extremely overpriced album "R.A.M." on vinyl here, I purchased the CD version here. When prices drop to a reasonable price for the vinyl version, I will buy it.
After receiving my CD version and beforehand listenning to my autorip tracks, I was pleasantly surprised. "R.A.M." is a very listenable album. I guess Daft Punk is considered a "dance" artist, I couldn't imagine how to dance to their recordings. It would kind of be like trying to dance to "Autobahn" by Kraftwerk.
For an "old fart" like me, who has been into all venues of music for over 50 years, Daft Punk is pretty cool and if they can extend their "gimmick" while producing better and better recordings, they may be around for awhile.
on March 23, 2014
So when this album came out, many people were complaining about how theg music wasn't their normal electronic style, things were different, it scared them, boo hoo hoo. Here's the deal- this album is all live music, played in studio, so its not your typical computerized stuff. Its amazing. The sound and recording quality on this is unlike any other. Seriously a step above the rest.

There isn't one or two PERFECT songs that EVERYONE will come away from saying "that was the song of the century" (even though everyone was losing their minds about "Get Lucky"), but all of them work very well together and make up for a great album. I highly recommend it.
on May 11, 2014
My first experience with this album was listening to "get lucky" on the radio, with my children in the car. I found the lyrics to be a bit more suggestive than I personally prefer my kids to hear, so I would frequently change the channel to avoid listening to it.

Two things happened to change my perception of this album:

1) Pentatonix did a Daft Punk medley that just blew me away (yes, I'm a Pentatonix fan); and
2) Daft Punk won a grammy for this album.

Those two things really got my attention. So I had to preview the album, and I was surprised. Then I bought it, and was even more surprised. Turns out I like the majority of songs on the album. And that doesn't happen very often.

I've never been a Daft Punk fan before. I guess you could say I'm a convert? I don't know if I'll be going out to buy all of their albums now or not. But I am definitely impressed with this one.
on March 21, 2014
Took a chance on this (the CD), mainly after seeing all the Grammys Daft Punk won this year and hearing the "hit single" -- I guess it is, although I've never actually heard it on the radio -- Get Lucky . Definitely an album worth having. Was recently called a "sonic spectacular" by the vinyl guru at Stereophile magazine, Michael Fremer. Of course, he was referring to the vinyl. But since it was mastered by none other than Mr. Bob Ludwig (of Led Zeppelin II fame, several Hall and Oates, Dire Straights "Money for Nothing" (I want my MTV..) and lots of other really well-recorded albums over the past 40+ years) I figured one couldn't go too wrong -- so long as you can live with highly synthesized -- albeit with an actual orchestra and chorus in this case -- German-style techno, as I call it anyway. (Remember "Autobahn"?)
Made a big impression on this mid+ 60s ex-rocker. (Hey, I guess I still am!)
Hope you have a good sound system with solid bottom-end bass response. You'll need it to get the best effect. Thanks Mr. Bob!
I guess I’ll have to get the real thing now = the vinyl record.
on May 25, 2013
For background, I was born at the tail-end of the '80s music experience, but the oldies stations were my link to '60s-'80s music (thanks to my family), so I'm familiar with music of these two decades this album covers stylistically. I've also been a fan of Daft Punk since seeing the "Digital Love" video on MTV2 and the subsequent Toonami: Midnight Run Special Edition show that covered the first third of Discovery & Interstella 5555.

I wasn't expecting the duo to go so far as to make an album that went back to their influential roots, covering the '70s & '80s so hard... until I heard "Get Lucky". They did a damn good job experimenting with their sound on this album by going back in time, instead of having to out-pace Dave Guetta, Skrillex or Deadmau5 with another good French house album. In fact, I went into the album thinking for each track "okay, which part of the two decades would be the backdrop for this one?," and then think about which song from then does this sound like (case in point, I thought of "I Keep Forgetting" while listening to "Beyond" the third time through).

Here's what I think, for all the straight-up EDM fans out there that feel disappointed in this album: Daft Punk may very well have set themselves up to come back with another strong house album down the line and mix the experiences from Random Access Memories, and in doing so, tell the EDM artists of the day "did you really think that your electronic music is all there is to the overarching genre?" and give them an example of how much more there is to it... again. Good album, great experience and experimentation, and it leaves me looking for a transcendent EDM/house album from them in the future. I give it 5 stars since 4 1/2 is what I would really give it, but put on the other half because I think this album can be really influential for some time.
on August 7, 2013
Every album has "that song" that gets stuck in your head and you just can't get out. While "Get Lucky" has been extraordinarily popular, I highly suggest getting "Instant Crush" stuck in your head.
I promise, you'll thank me later.
on April 22, 2017
my first daft punk. very interesting. have to get a 2nd cd to compare.