Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Random House Handbook
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Benjamin Leftwich Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

on May 19, 2000
I teach English to sixth, seventh, and eighth graders in a private school. This book is always close at hand to verify answers and to clarify nagging questions (do you capitalize northern when used with California? ) My edition is getting tattered through constant use. The book is well-organized and easy to understand. It covers everything from the correct use of commas to how to cite the internet in research papers. There are examples of use and examples of papers. The examples are interesting to read, and they teach something. What could be better? I have gotten the reputation of expert in my school because of this handbook! Other teachers send me notes asking for help with questions that come up in their classes. Should I tell them my secret?
on December 3, 2005
Most major publishers produce a writing handbook, typically oriented toward college compostion classes. Most of them are very good or better. But among this tough competition, this is the best of the bunch. I teach advanced writing skills to professionals, mostly lawyers, and tell them to buy this book right after Strunk & White and Garner's Modern American Usage. After using Crews's book they all agree. (If you're wondering about "But" in the third sentence, "Crews's" in the fifth, and the placement of the period in the last sentence, below, look them up; Crews is glad to help.)
I agree completely with the anonymous reviewer in "My teaching "bible."
on March 13, 2011
When I attended Cal in the Eighties, Frederick Crews was a larger than life figure. He was, it seemed, already at the end of his career. One had the sense that he felt a little out of place in the English department. As young English majors, we all had to labor through his Random House Handbook. I am not sure how many of my fellow students appreciated it. I did. It was clear, concise and comprehensive.

When I graduated in 1990 in German and English, I was happy that Professor Crews gave the Commencement Address to the Foreign Languages departments. The day before I attended the massive English Department graduation and was embarrassed by the speakers who all hinted at the coming PC onslaught which ravaged the Humanities in the Nineties. In comparison, Frederick Crews gave a witty, down-to-earth and inspiring speech to the Foreign Languages students. He spoke about coming to California as a young man and the promise it gave, he spoke funnily about commencement speeches ("here we embark together on the ship of life,etc."), and he discussed our experience as students at Cal. I loved him for such a wonderful speech!

Over the years, I have kept my old copy of the Random House Handbook. I am not aware how many institutions still use it, or whether the "Crews Handbook" is still recommended by anyone. But, as I teach Business Communications, I refer to it more than any other reference book - including whatever assigned textbook is being read by my students.

I hope others will use, as I have!
on January 3, 2011
I've used a version since college and I still love it. Crews' examples are fun to read, and this book covers everything. If you need a grammar reference, buy it!
on April 14, 2016
An outstanding manual of style for writers of essays or books, fact or fiction; extensive; well-written; easy to follow; exercises; index
on June 12, 2016
Good
on June 23, 2013
cost me like $7. it was used and old but i used it for what i needed to. no problems. no highlighting.
on July 29, 2014
perfect used copy with no markings whatsoever :) (and of course, a great book!)
VINE VOICEon March 7, 2008
I bought this book in 1978, and just got around to reviewing it 30 years later. It hasn't aged well. Actually, it never was a very good guide on how to write better. The latest Random House Handbook is undoubtedly superior.
on July 5, 2014