- Hardcover: 2256 pages
- Publisher: Random House Reference; 2nd edition (November 11, 1997)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0679458530
- ISBN-13: 978-0679458531
- Product Dimensions: 3.2 x 9 x 11.2 inches
- Shipping Weight: 8.7 pounds
- Average Customer Review: 5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (2 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #8,203,927 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Random House Webster's Unabridged Dictionary and CD-ROM 2nd Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
There is a newer edition of this item:
Featured test prep titles
Sponsored by McGraw-Hill Learn more.
From the Inside Flap
With fifty years of experience in dictionary publishing behind it, Random House Webster's Unabridged Dictionary is the most definitive single-volume reference of the English language available--and the only dictionary of its kind available on CD-ROM. This modern dictionary offers an exhaustive, traditional study of the language, while covering the latest, most important developments--ahead of any other dictionary.
Using cutting-edge technology, Random House is able to bring you Newer Words Faster. The Random House Living Dictionary Database, from which the Random House Unabridged Dictionary was developed, is an immense revolutionary computerized database for direct, immediate on-line editing. Dictionary entries can be updated on-screen as required, and most importantly, vital new vocabulary, from science to slang, can be added instantly, the moment it emerges in our language.
And now this authoritative reference is available both in print and electronically in this all inclusive book/disk package. The CD-ROM includes not only the full text of the printed dictionary, complete with all the new words integrated into the A to Z listing, but also illustrations and spot maps that can be sized on-screen and printed. The multilingual interface is designed to work with Windows 95 as well as Windows 3.1, and the improved search engine offers flexibility and ease of use. In addition, professionally recorded pronunciations bring the sounds of American English to life.
Random House Webster's Unabridged Dictionary is designed to meet the wide-ranging needs of today's students and scholars, who study ancient documents one day and surf the Internet the next; of professional writers, who craft poems or write articles for technical journals; of businesspeople, who need to communicate clearly, whether face-to-face or fax-to-fax; and--above all--the needs of word lovers.
In addition to standard and specialized vocabulary, this extensive volume contains a wide variety of features, encompassing up-to-date, authoritative factual and encyclopedic information. It is truly a unique general reference volume for the office, the school, and the entire family.
Important Features Include:
* A brand-new eight-page New-Words Section in the front of the book, with over 1,000
important new words and meanings added at press time, not found in the A-Z
section--words like intranet, body piercing, soccer mom, and sport-utility vehicle.
* Over 315,000 entries
* 1,500 updated definitions and entries
* 2,400 spot maps and illustrations
* Scholarly, up-to-date etymologies, including dates to show when terms entered the
language, and showing clearly labeled Americanisms
* Entries for important and famous people; for places; historical events; major works of
literature, music and art; names and abbreviations of academic, governmental, social,
and fraternal organizations; popular given names; common abbreviations; and
* Entries and definitions for current place names, reflecting recent political and
geographical changes worldwide
* Coverage of major British, Canadian, and Australian terms
* Over 75,000 example phrases and sentences to show how words are used in context
* Metric equivalents for weight, volume, height, distance, etc., included in definitions
* Endangered species identified
* Comprehensive supplementary notes at many entries, discussing: usage problems
pronunciation questions, distinctions among synonyms, regional variations and
* Additional supplementary lists of synonyms, antonyms, words formed from common
* Valuable supplements to the dictionary included, in front and back matter
* Sound-spelling correspondences in English
* A Basic Manual of Style
* Guidelines for avoiding insensitive and offensive language in both writing and
* List of Words Commonly Confused
MORE COMPREHENSIVE DICTIONARY
With over 315,000 entries, the complete vocabulary of the renowned Second Edition of the Random House Unabridged Dictionary is contained in this one volume. The language of literature, the terms in your textbooks, and the nuances in your newspapers are all here.
NEW-WORDS SECTION ADDED AT PRESS TIME
If it's an important new word, you'll find it here first. A brand-new eight-page New-Words Section has been included in the print edition at press time, featuring the latest important words and meanings not in the A-Z section--terms like Megan's Law, feng shui, home page, and mesclun. Over 1,500 other entries and definitions have been updated as well.
Also included are:
* New and updated biographical entries
* Revised geographical entries reflecting the recent changes worldwide
* 2,400 spot maps and illustrations
AN IMPROVED CD-ROM
With an improved search engine, the CD-ROM is a flexible tool with advanced features designed to meet the needs of scholars, students, businesspeople, and anyone else who needs an extensive, versatile resource for words.
* Find the word you need--when you need it.
* Do specialized computer searches
* Print the results.
* Link the dictionary to your word processor.
* Choose the language of your interface--English, French, or Spanish.
* Play word games.
CLICK! FOR FAST ELECTRONIC SEARCHES
Choose among four ways to search the dictionary. Whichever Search Type you choose, just a click of the mouse brings up the word you want with the full text of the dictionary entry--definitions, written pronunciations, parts of speech, etymologies, synonyms and antonyms, usage notes, and more.
LOOK! FOR THE CAMERA ICON
This dictionary on disk is not just words--more than 2,400 spot maps and illustrations await you. Just click on the camera icon wherever it appears.
LISTEN! TO THE RECORDED PRONUNCIATIONS
Hear the written language come to life. Over 120,000 professionally recorded pronunciations--more than in ant other electronic dictionary--capture the authentic sounds of American English. Just click on the loudspeaker icon.
System Requirements for the CD-ROM
* IBM PC or compatible (80486 or higher)
* 8Mb of RAM or more
* 3Mb of free disk space on a hard drive (or, for custom installation of data files on
hard drive, 30 Mb)
* Microsoft Windows 3.1 or higher
* Windows-compatible mouse
* CD-ROM drive (double speed or faster recommended) to access recorded
* Windows-compatible sound card
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top Customer Reviews
Something else: I bought, at the same time, the Simon & Schusters English-Spanish Dictionary. It is also the best in its kind. I have had a copy for several years but it is in very poor condition now. I only wish this dictionary also came in CD Rom version. It would be wonderful!