Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 76 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 86 reviews
on October 16, 2014
I took a cross-country road trip this summer, and armed myself with this book to go to Yellowstone. My boyfriend and I wanted to see Yellowstone in a medium-difficulty level -- that is, not just from the car and basic walks, but also not in significant multi-day backpacking trips, and this book was perfect.

"A Ranger's Guide to Yellowstone Day Hikes" has many excellent options for half-day and full-day hikes that offer the Yellowstone visitor the option to go off the beaten path enough to experience the backcountry in all of its magnificence and solitude. The authors are right - as soon as you walk five minutes off the main trail, you barely see anyone! We went in July (very busy time) and this was still the case. After a day of fighting mobs at the geysers, there is nothing you want more in the world.

The "naturalist notes" are lovely. I really enjoyed reading these, as they are well-written and offer a different view into the history and surroundings on the different hikes. They aren't just for pleasure, however, as you can get a real sense of what type of hike you are going to go on before you embark, and offer a really pleasant addition to the normal hiking information. The maps and practical information is all pretty much up to date and very helpful. One of the hikes, the Imperial Geyser with a backcountry loop, had a new thermal feature that basically made the normal trail impassible, but the map in the book with elevation and other information helped us find our way back to the correct place.

I would definitely recommend this book for people who want a unique experience of Yellowstone and not just the small, overly-crowded stops that most people take. Yellowstone is an amazing National Park, and this book helped us navigate it well!
review image review image
on April 6, 2016
Nice trail book, but just be aware that all the trails discussed are also on the Yellowstone National Park website. I was a little disappointed to see that the trails I was reading about on the parks website were the same ones in the book. I guess I was hoping for more secret gems with the authors being former park rangers. That being said the book provides a typical discussion of each trail, with a map and a color photo (though one look and you will see the photos are pretty dated). It's nice to have everything in one place, but you can get the majority of the information from the park website with some research.
on May 11, 2015
Some may not be especially attracted to this book,, since it has a more specific audience in mind (e.g. actual park employees). I definitely enjoyed this one though, esp. since my "dream job" ever since I was a kid was to be a forestry worker in the forests &/or mountains of the American West ... and Yellowstone NP would have definitely been my 1st choice of location, besides Hawaii. Grin.
on August 14, 2013
If you're planning a multi--day backpacking trip, or if you're going to be passing through Yellowstone for an afternoon and just want to see the highlights, this book is not for you. This book is ideal, however, if you plan on spending a handful of days in the park and want to do a few full-day or partial-day hikes. The book is very well organized, enabling the reader to select a trail by area via a map or categorized list, or by distance/difficulty via a chart. Each hike is well-described, and includes contoured maps, elevation/distance information, recommendations, trailhead directions, and of course a lengthy and helpful description of the surrounding area and of the hike itself. There's also a great picture section toward the back of the book. I have the Frommer's guide to Yellowstone and Grand Teton, and while that book is great for planning a vacation more broadly, I still feel this book is more helpful for planning my hikes. Day hikers really ought to take a look at this book as a valuable supplement to any travel guide.
on July 21, 2017
This book is one of the best books we got for our recent Yellowstone trip. It was really helpful for picking what hike to do. The only thing I would say is that easy in my mind means easy for people who are used to hiking or fit. It does not mean the hike itself was easy. If you read the descriptions there is a fairly accurate and detailed account of the hike.
on February 28, 2015
She Who Must Be Obeyed and I are not hikers. She has issues from ankle surgery (actually making the trek from Swift current to Josephine in a cast boot) and I have my trachea limiting my oxygen intake severely. We enjoyed the stroll on the Trail of the Cedars which is as flat as any Illinois prairie. Anything more than that is out of bounds.

We also realize that you have to get out of the car and out of the parking lot to see some of the good stuff. This title I believe will give us the information we need to choose the right strolls in our upcoming adventure.

The title is well organized. It is well indexed and divided by junction. It has good clear maps and a concise “Trail Tips” section that convinced me we are getting Bear Spray on arrival. A wonderful two page “Choosing a Trail” arranging the hikes by difficulty. A series of color plates illustrate each journey

Each hike begins with a description and some basic information – Difficulty, Distance, Elevation, Duration, Best Time of Year, Trailhead location, Direction, Special Attention, and very thorough and extensive Naturalist notes. The hiking directions prepare you for what you will see and give clear turn by turn directions. It details variations you can make in the hike and where the rough spots are.

Although I had seen mention of the Storm Point trail, I had never really considered it until reading their description. We may have sometime after landing at Lake the first night this may well fit right in. We will beware of the bison grazing near the pond warning.

The cover claims that the title now has “GPS Compatible Maps” but I failed to see a reference that even came close to one. Again the title was paper not Kindle, but other than those two blemishes I thoroughly enjoyed Yellowstone Day Hikes and am glad to have obtained it.
on October 2, 2012
This book was FANTASTIC! I recently took my first trip out to Yellowstone with the intent of doing some hikes that were not the typical "tourist" hikes, and this book was a fabulous guide. Not only does it tell you what types of things you'll see on each hike, but it tells you where the trail is within the park, how hard the trail is expected to be, how long it is, and an estimated timeframe of how long it will take to complete the hike. Each trail has a description and history along with it, and each description tells you exactly where the trailhead is located. That feature was helpful in finding some of the less "common" trails, because not all are clearly labeled in the park. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who is interested in doing some hiking in Yellowstone, whether you're looking for a casual hike or some more intense hikes. The map is extremely helpful for getting around the park and planning your days, and we carried the book with us on every trail to help guide us. I can't say enough how glad we were to have this with us.
on June 3, 2016
Excellent book! We were not able to do as many hikes as we had hoped for because we went in late May, and many trails were closed due to bears. Another trail had construction and was closed. However, the guide was right on for every hike we took. They recommend the easy way to go and provide a lot of helpful information about the trails. Will be a keeper for the next time we go back!
on December 15, 2012
This book is a "must have" for Yellowstone travelers who plan on getting out of their cars and out into the wilderness. There are hikes in this book for different difficulty levels, so if you are a beginner there are easy hikes, but if you want a real challenge there are strenuous hikes as well. We have used this book for the past two summers to hike in Yellowstone and have enjoyed many different trails. There are great tips on safety, points of interest, trail distance, and difficulty level. There Is a handy map where you can find trails by location in the park, so if you are in a certain area of the park and want a nearby hike the map makes it easy to find one that is close. I highly recommend this book.
on June 26, 2015
Great book just got back from a week of hiking with wife and kids. It broke down the hikes in great detail, while the descriptions matched trails and topography maps worked well. While I didn't hike them all the ones I did spot on.
review image