Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Milk forum

Rank your favourite Oscar nominated best pictures

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 16, 2009 10:26:00 PM PST
T. Lee says:
1. Milk
2. Slumdog Millionaire
3. Frost / Nixon
4. The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button
5. The Reader

Posted on Mar 12, 2009 5:38:40 PM PDT
1. Milk
2. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
3. Slumdog Millionaire
4. Frost/Nixon
5. The Reader

Milk was the one film I felt deserved all the praise. Button I also liked and Slumdog was definintly good. Frost/Nixon was okay but The Reader was very mediocre. There were a tons of other films who could have filled that fifth spot and the only reason the film got nominated was because of the unstopable Harvey Weinstein, who has turned Oscar lobbying into a blood sport.

Posted on Mar 18, 2009 12:50:20 AM PDT
Tyson says:
01. Slumdog Millionaire
02. Milk
03. Frost/Nixon
04. The Reader
05. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

This is one of the few times in Oscar history that I have loved all 5 nominees for Best Pic. I thought they were all truly excellent!

Posted on Mar 23, 2009 2:07:53 AM PDT
B. Rastetter says:
1. Milk
2. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
3. Frost/Nixon
4. The Reader
5. Slumdog Millionaire

Milk and Benjamin Button were the only two in this category that were truly deserving of Best Picture. Frost/Nixon, though excellent, is more about the performances and the same can be said for The Reader which relies entirely on the raw power of Kate Winslet's fine performance. Slumdog Millionaire is a good movie. That's it... good... nothing more. The movie, though visually stunning, is weak in my eyes. The acting is absolutely terrible. For god's sake, the children that they plucked from the REAL slums are better actors than the grown versions of the characters. I tried SO hard to like this movie. I've watched it three times and have been let down each time. I always think some light bulb is going to finally flicker on in my head and make me enjoy Slumdog just as much as everyone else does. Sadly this doesn't happen. And... its winning Best Picture infuriates me even more. Nothing is worse than a "good movie" winning the top prize. It is not the most deserving film and I'm tired of hearing from all of my friends that it is. I think it has a lot to do with when it was first seen by the viewer. If seen pre-oscar buzzing - opinion will be that it's good or fair. If seen post-oscar nominations and raves - opinion will be that it's the best damn movie ever made. The Academy hardly ever gets it right with this category. The last time that happened was with American Beauty in 1999. I apologize for burdening you all with my rant. I just needed to finally get that off of my chest.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2009 2:14:50 AM PDT
B. Rastetter says:
I agree with you about The Reader. Any of these five definitely deserved that slot instead...

1. WALL-E
2. The Wrestler
3. The Dark Knight
4. Revolutionary Road
5. Happy-Go-Lucky

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2009 5:36:11 PM PDT
T. J. Reed says:
-I was scared by this, because I've said the exact same thing many times.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Milk forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Feb 16, 2009
Latest post:  Jun 18, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions